Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

She is trying very hard to be honest and not lead either you or herself down the primrose path.

This is something to be admired. She has learned from experience.

Just see where it goes. You handled it just fine. I think you can convey "I love you" with a hug, but don't bombard her with the words ... yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,414 times
I believe in the end when I look back on it a good many of my regrets will be the things I left unsaid that time then pased by. I may be a fool but I say celebrate your love, scream it from the highest rooftop if you are moved to do so, let what happens happen.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
If you love her, you love her. Since you didn't just say it to say it, telling her shouldn't change how you feel.

While I'm sure it was disappointing to not have her return the sentiment immediately, at least she was honest. It sounds like she did enjoy knowing how you felt and perhaps knowing that you are committed to the relationship will help her open up and 'be 140% sure'.

She knows how you feel now, if the mood arises and you are so inclined to tell her again, go ahead. Don't let what she does/says determine how you show affection.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,139 times
I'm reluctant to share that comment ever again. Every time I FOOLISHLY do it turns to s***! I think I will just keep to myself. That's the word they all want to hear but as soon as they do-----------------------------------------

Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Just give it some time. She'll most likely come 'round before too long.

I was with a girl who, the first day after we had sex, told me that if I was going to be in a relationship w/her, I needed to know that she "didn't fall in love." I said "sure." About two months later, I was tucking her in (she was nodding off and I had to be at work early the next day; she lived 30 miles away), and as I was standing up, she said, "I love you."

She just needs to do it on her terms.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
I think she is being honest and doesn't want to deceive you. To her, she might be getting there, but doesn't want to jump in to the vastness of those 3 words. 3 months is too soon for some to properly feel the love meter is full, so holding off is best. And sometimes, when someone says it so soon, they are just lying or don't really know what they are saying. I know my ex told me real soon after he met me and it was hard for me to believe him. Turns out I was right and he didn't know his own self. Just give it time.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Good honest communication is important in a relationship. And many times, partners will not be at the same level of affection, especially at the beginning stages. And who reaches love first isn't a game or a strategy. So just tell her that you love her whenever you feel that you do.

But if you've only been a couple for three months, most likely you are not in true love with her, but just infatuated or crushing on her. And that's okay too. Enjoy this honeymoon period in your relationship and savour your crush feelings one day at a time.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
... She has a history of being in LTR's, most recent one was 2.5 years that she left because she realized she didn't love him enough to marry him. ...

She told me she really appreciated me telling her that and that she's really happy to hear it, and she knows how hard it was to tell her that as I hadn't told someone that in a long time....but she said she wasn't ready to say it back yet. She had been in two relationships in her life previously where she thought she was going to get married at one point, and she wants to make sure this time that when she says it she's 140% sure she's in love.

I didn't know how to feel about this, ...

Any thoughts?
I am going to go against the conventional wisdom of how great that she was honest with you. Sounds like she is not interested in having more than a no strings relationship with you. If you are interested in having more with this lady (marriage), it does not look likely. Have you heard of Runaway Bride types?

I find it telling that she needs more than a certainty (140%) before she even can say she loves you. Sorry but it does not look good.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,166 times
I think you worth to do it !!
there are not many girls that is worth to wait or love !!!

Old 03-28-2011, 08:24 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Give it time. If she hasn't returned the sentiment in three more months, then move on. But for now, sit tight. If she's all that, she's worth waiting for.
I tend to agree with this post.

You know her best, but if it were me - there would come a time that i'd really, really need to hear it back - or just know for sure that someone did love me, if i loved them. That's just how i am, even at my (older) age.

People have many reasons for holding back. Everyone has 'baggage' and most dont ever let EVERYthing out to someone else.

It seems she's being honest with you, and to me - that means A LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships