U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Texas
28,114 posts, read 23,694,992 times
Reputation: 33687

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It's funny how people try to evade answering simple questions with lines like yours. I'm telling ya', just google it and you'll see this is not stuff I just decided to make up.
Yes, but it's sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it?

If we are told that we're supposed to something or feel a certain way or buy a certain piece of jewelry (bc it's 'standard'), then it becomes the truth...and the reality fuels the prophecy which fuels the reality, etc.

It's like the other day. We went to the dealership to look at the Lexus RX. The dealer only had 2 models. He and all the dealers in OK, TX, LA...they had gotten together and designed two models based on how they were equipped.

We said, "Why? Why isn't there more selection?" They said, "These are the most popular models."

Well, DUH! If these are the only 2 models they order and make available to buy, OF COURSE they are the most popular! They created their own reality...and then started pawning it off on their customers.

We bought a Cadillac instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Denver
1,788 posts, read 591,364 times
Reputation: 1057
I always thought that discovering a bunch of osmium or radium in the asteroid belt would be totally rad.

My dreams of being an asteroid belt miner are not going to come to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,458 posts, read 3,652,964 times
Reputation: 2722
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Social equiv for a woman: dreaming about her fairy tale magical proposal night and wedding. Dedicating a whole album of pictures of her proposal night, her engagement ring in different angles, her wedding pictures, etc. And getting all hysterically happy about it as her long awaited dream finally became a reality.
Actually I think the reality is that women are often times more frustrated and stressed out by a wedding and the expectations from family/guests (and the whole planning aspect) than dreaming about it. Ain't no fairy tale. The whole day can be quite stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 04:06 AM
 
766 posts, read 487,290 times
Reputation: 444
getting dream car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 04:41 AM
 
40 posts, read 19,372 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Good point Stan4. There can be many reasons, including the ones you mention as well as nice reasons, for men to not really care if a woman has a car or not, an executive job or if she is a waitress, and so on. Also, don’t act as if women look for men above their level because they desire to talk about quantum physics or something. Many women look for men above their level just to score all kinds of freebies (dinners, drinks, wine, entertainment, vacations, jewelry, etc.) and live off them. Ok, not all women.

All in all, women look for men who are above their level (more money, more academics, more status, etc.) while men, not really.
lol! I'm a physics student. It would be nice to find a guy who wanted to talk to me about quantum physics that was not on my course.

I think things are changing; as I said I'm a physics student and most of my girl friends are studying pharmacy, dentistry, medicine or going into engineering. Money isn't so much of an issue for me because I know I can make my own. Status doesn't matter to me because I'm contented with where I am and where I will be. I don't need to marry "up" or "down" lol. I just want when the time comes someone who I love and who loves me back. I'm pretty lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
 
5,045 posts, read 2,852,215 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, but it's sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it?
Naaah, just to show that I am not making this stuff up or to cherry pick links that support my views. I let her instead see for herself.

I can be told that all men want is a hot girl and I can go “Well I don’t! And I have rejected more than a couple of opportunities and offers from hot women simply because I don’t feel like it. See?! Not all men want to just have sex and leave” but, who am I fooling? It is well-known that a man wants a woman that is attractive to his eyes and I am just part of an exception.

Another example. It is well-known that when it comes to rape, it is men who are more involved than women. We can say “Well, I know of a case where a woman raped a man” sure, it happens, but can’t really say women rape men as often as man rape women, can we? I can be told “well, I know of 2 cases where…” and it would just be exceptions and I would go back to telling that person “Just google some statistics about it and see for yourself, I am not making this stuff up”.

But just like everything…there are exceptions to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Texas
28,114 posts, read 23,694,992 times
Reputation: 33687
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
But just like everything…there are exceptions to the rule.
Yeah, but when do you say something is a 'rule'? When it covers 99% of people (like the men vs women raping someone) or maybe 50 or 60% (like the argument you're trying to make)? BIG difference when the 'majority' you cling to in your argument is a very slim one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
 
5,045 posts, read 2,852,215 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, but when do you say something is a 'rule'? When it covers 99% of people (like the men vs women raping someone) or maybe 50 or 60% (like the argument you're trying to make)? BIG difference when the 'majority' you cling to in your argument is a very slim one.
You don't believe its true that the majority of women prefer certain things we have talked about? You did googled and looked around for this information, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 AM
 
25,140 posts, read 26,973,520 times
Reputation: 34283
Good grief. Give it a rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Not Nowhere
1,321 posts, read 1,013,181 times
Reputation: 1704
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top