U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM

15,395 posts, read 8,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't know - my husband was pretty thrilled when we got engaged and when we got married. I know he's super excited now that we're having a baby. Why do you assume that the guy isn't as excited about getting engaged and getting married? Just because he doesn't post pics on Facebook? My hubby doesn't post anything on Facebook. In fact, I made his page for him!
I never said that men don't get excited. I just think women have a whole different level of enthusiasm when it comes to getting engaged or married.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM

7,587 posts, read 4,275,024 times
Ummm, ordinarily an engagement or marriage involves two people, one of them a man and one a woman. Hence, the male equivalent to getting engaged or married is getting engaged or married.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM

7,587 posts, read 4,275,024 times
Oh, and by the way, DO NOT let DeBeers or anyone else sucker you into thinking that you need to spend two months' or six months' salary on an engagement ring. That would be as stupid as letting the car companies convince you that you're a loser if you don't spend two years' salary on a new car.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM

2,173 posts, read 1,468,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
FOR REAL!!, just got engaged and the whole ring thing was stressful, I had no clue about clarity/carats/color/cut, but quickly learnt
Yeah I've heard engagement rings are complicated. If she wanted to propose to me all I would want is a perfectly cooked steak. Preferably with some form of bacon integration.

Congrats on the engagement!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM

15,548 posts, read 7,453,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I never said that men don't get excited. I just think women have a whole different level of enthusiasm when it comes to getting engaged or married.
I guess - but we have a whole different level of enthusiasm about everything - don't we?

There are all different kinds of excitement. When I walked down the aisle on my wedding day - my husband was smiling from ear to ear - the happiest smile I've ever seen! I saw that same smile when I told him I was pregnant. Now - did he react the same as when his team won the NCAA Football National Championship? No. But when my team won the NCAA Football National Championship - I went crazy screaming and yelling, too. I didn't do that when he proposed - I just cried and hugged him.

I think guys probably have a different reaction to getting engaged and getting married - but I don't it means they are less excited about it. They are just excited about it in a different way.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM

3,098 posts, read 1,937,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Yeah I've heard engagement rings are complicated. If she wanted to propose to me all I would want is a perfectly cooked steak. Preferably with some form of bacon integration.

Congrats on the engagement!
Thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM

10,040 posts, read 12,564,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Having a threesome.

Or having your team win the national championship on an epic, last-gasp Hail Mary pass into quadruple coverage. That's pretty sweet.

A hole-in-one.

Buying a boat.

Winning the lottery and telling the boss to stick it.

Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM

27,445 posts, read 21,135,869 times
Uh, as a woman, I can say that getting married was awesome and undoubtedly a monumental moment in my life, but it was never something I strived for or made an overriding goal in life. Most women I know want to get married because that means they met the person they want to spend the rest of their lives with. Not because it's some kind of twisted goal.

Biggest chest-bursting, tearful, joyful, emotionally overwhelming accomplishment of a goal in MY life? My medical school graduation.

I imagine the birth of my first child might come close...but again, being a physician has been my dream since I was 4. Getting married, buying a house, having kids...that was always important (well, I never really cared about buying a house), but those haven't been the driving force in my life.

I think saying that all women find their engagement to be some crazy awesome pinnacle moment in their lives is kind of sexist, chauvinist, and just plain wrong. It can be a wonderful thing, but it's not the only thing.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM

380 posts, read 386,069 times
As a women who doesn't want to get married or have children I don't know what the equivalent would be. But seeing how people have a multitude of different priorities I'm sure there are women and men out there who wouldn't find either too exciting.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 AM

15,395 posts, read 8,100,100 times
I would say that the closest thing for a man is winning a Super Bowl or some type of championship. Men are judged strictly by what we accomplish in life. Nobody cares if you have a family or not. It's "did you make partner?" Or "did you land the account?" The Super Bowl (or NBA championship or World Cup), I think, is a dream for most young boys, and there's nothing better than throwing that accomplishment in another guy's face. Just look at Kobe and Shaq.

If I won a championship for the Eagles, I would make the bragging that girls do on Facebook look like an exercise in humility. In fact, I just think I'd walk into every restaurant in America, walk up to every man, stick my hand out and say "You don't happen to have one of these, do you???" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntiW0...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships