Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times

Advertisements

Okay Im not personally dating anybody right now, but just wanted to ask this question for when I do get into a relationship. So you get the first date right, how many dates after that do you think it would be reasonable to ask for a commitment of some sort? And what kind of commitment do you think would be good to ask for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
One date should be sufficient for an asylum, 3 to 10 for exclusivity in dating. Beyond that, you're on your own.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
There will be a lot of posters responding with foofoo answers like "when it happens, you'll know" and "you shouldn't need to talk about it" and "boyfriend/girlfriend is just a stupid label" etc etc. I'll tell you this much, for me it tends to happen after about a month of seeing the other person a few times each week (assuming the feeling is mutual). Right about when you start to gain a certain level of comfort with the other person and open up a bit.

I wouldn't try asking for a commitment. My girlfriend just said out off the blue "are you seeing anyone else?" I said no, then asked her the same thing and she said no. There was a pause then I said it sounded like we were a couple. Then we started joking about the silliness of making it facebook-official and things like that. It was not a big deal and neither of us tried to make a big deal out of it so it worked out great.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
i usually ask them to join bank accounts together half way through the first date

Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM

42 posts, read 277,344 times
In my case, she told me that she didn't want to see anyone else. Lucky for me I felt the same way.

I think it's more about you not wanting to see anyone else (and her feeling the same way) rather that you not wanting HER to see anyone else.

For us, that was after about 10 dates in a 2 week period. Yeah, we went fast, and needless to say, that relationship did not work out

Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
It's really up to you, but I am committed from the moment I agree to the date....or even before. Once I set my sights on something, I'm pretty singleminded about it.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
I could easily commit myself after one date, I just don't know what to expect when I start dating.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,169,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koplods View Post
I think after date number 1 you will know if you are committed or not. If after the first date you can't answer a 'yes' to committment, then it's time to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's really up to you, but I am committed from the moment I agree to the date....or even before. Once I set my sights on something, I'm pretty singleminded about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I could easily commit myself after one date, I just don't know what to expect when I start dating.
lol what?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
lol what?
They move entirely too slow. If a guy winked at me and I thought he might ask me out, I was exclusive to him and only him.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Okay Im not personally dating anybody right now, but just wanted to ask this question for when I do get into a relationship. So you get the first date right, how many dates after that do you think it would be reasonable to ask for a commitment of some sort? And what kind of commitment do you think would be good to ask for?
There is no magic number. Your gut should tell you if you are ready to be exclusive. Sometimes after the first date and sometimes never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships