Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you date/marry someone of the opposite political persuasion?
Yes 28 40.00%
No 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM

513 posts, read 580,863 times

Advertisements

Personally I don't think I could. I happen to have very strong political inclinations, much stronger than the average person, and quite frankly I find the opposing political ideology to be downright repugnant. Their beliefs, their values, their principles are completely foreign to me and I find them to be the antithesis not only to the principles upon which this nation was founded, but also to the teachings of any of the major religions in this country.

That being said, I don't hate people of this particular political persuasion. I feel sorry for them. I think they're easily duped into voting for politicians who hold office only to advance the interests of themselves and their cronies and screw the actual people they're supposed to serve. I respect the fact that people are entitled to their own opinions, but I can't say I respect this political ideology, so I probably could not be involved with someone who didn't share my political beliefs to at least some extent. How about you? Anyone here in a relationship with someone of an opposite political persuasion. I hear it can make things pretty spicy in the bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Oh, Jeez, I can tell we're from different political views BUT I'm not militant about my stance on politics so I would say I would date or marry someone that had different views then me. Just as long as they were like me on politics and it wasn't a big deal.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Sure. Just because she was into the agricultural movement while I am strictly Hunter/Gatherer, does not mean I would be opposed to dating her. Who knows? I could change my views and settle down in one place to grow roots rather than having to follow the herd. Or she might decide that fresh meat every now and than was preferable to always having granola.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Sure. It gives you something to talk about with your signifigant other. Any relationship would be become stale and boring if you agreed on everything.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
Oh hells yes! Variety is the spice of life.

Plus, if you ever need a quick fire-up to get some angry sehks going...

Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
My first boyfriend had opposing political views - although he has since done a 180. My husband has some different views than I do - although his are slowly changing over as well. We still disagree about some things. However - there are a few issues that I could not be with someone who had opposing views to.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
I could not date or probably even closely associate with someone who had different political views. Our country is the greatest country that has ever existed, it was founded on certain principles, I could not support anyone wanting to change that.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,172 times
I married someone with opposite political beliefs. My husband use to be a avid Republican, where I was a avid Democrat. Over the years that we have been together my beliefs have become more anti government and my husband has become more middle of the road. We respect each other enough to allow the other to have their own thoughts and feelings about things.

It gets interesting around the holidays with our combined families, his family are avid republicans and mine are avid democrats or anti government, so just imagine how that goes.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,866 times
I probably could, but there are specific issues that I would not be able to get past if we disagreed on them... it just wouldn't work.

Generally though, sure. I think.

Funnily enough I have a much older friend who is widowed. Her husband and her were both very politically active - on opposite sides of the fence. There are pictures all over her house of each of them with various presidents. It's quite interesting because she has stronger political opinions than most people I have met and is quite opinionated about them.
Apparently they literally didn't discuss politics at home at all. Ever. That would be a bit strange, but perhaps the only way to make it work?

Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I have friends with opposing political views and it doesn't bother me... the point is, if opposing political views BOTHERS one of the two people in the relationship then get out of the relationship but if it doesn't bother either side, who cares?? It seems like it would bother you, so its best you find someone with similar political views...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships