Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:46 PM

550 posts, read 984,185 times

Advertisements

How does one find a way to deal with social anxiety? I have very little experience with dating/sex. Knowing this, how does one approach men 25-30+ who are more experienced than me. What is adding to the social phobia is the fact that I eventually have to tell guys that I am not as experienced and they will wonder why.

I don't want a 19 yr old. I don't want to be fake. I don't want to lie. But I also don't want everyone to know how socially clueless I am, yet I believe most guys can see the obvious. So first, I need to know how I deal with my social anxiety in dating situations and then how to express it to other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times
I don't know any other way than to get out there and start dating. Don't worry about your lack of experience or what you think guys might think about it. The last thing I'd ever worry about when getting ready to go on a first date is how much dating experience my date has. I doubt many other guys care all that much, either.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 AM

570 posts, read 882,207 times
most men won't notice too much or care at all if they did notice, as long as they like your personality and you look sexy to them. They will be more than happy to teach.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Truth is, "experience" is not nearly the issue for guys that it is for girls. In fact, most guys will tell you there is such a thing as too much experience. (especially when it comes to sleeping around - high risk of STDs and you seeing him as "just another guy", you know).

Furthermore, women seem hung up on "social proof", so-called (i.e. preselection based on the so-called "wisdom of the crowds") more than men are. In fact, there's also such a thing as too much social proof. "Social Proof" is highly vulnerable to rumors, gossip, character assassination, and so forth. At best "social proof"(so-called) is only one set anecdotal or circumstantial evidences to place in your portfolio. That's why social proof is better called "social testimony", rather than outright "proof" of worthiness.

So if you're a good, decent person, don't worry about it. If you're still worried about it, then concentrate on hobbies, interests, and so forth. Not only will it give you more interesting things to talk about with a guy, it'll also go a long way to unchaining your self-esteem from your desirability to the opposite sex (a critical part of obtaining high self-esteem).

Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 AM

42 posts, read 277,289 times
There are plenty of guys in that age range with little experience. Maybe you could start off with a goofy/nerdy/geeky guy who probably is just as anxious as you. This will give you a chance to build up your dating skills on typically easy prey. Get some practice with those guys before you start setting your sights higher.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
People know if you're socially awkward. When you find someone you like and date, be open about it. A relationship is a two way street and largely it's about being able to be intimate with someone and share things about yourself with few limits.

Incidentally, you're a woman. Men who like you won't care how experienced you are.

Just be selective and make sure you pick someone who really wants to date you and not just hook up.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 AM

29 posts, read 66,360 times
Take this from someone who has lived with shyness and social anxiety for most of their life, relax and be yourself. Sounds pretty simple, but it's the truth. It's the way to be in all areas of your life, not just dating. Do it while you are still young and not when you get to my age and realize all the years you wasted and how much easier it is to just relax and be you. Take care.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
First off, I don't think you need to reveal that much about your past. When you feel ready and comfortable confessing that to a guy? Go ahead, but I imagine that occurring after you've dated for months, not right off the bat. If it's the right guy, it won't feel so scary any more.

How about looking for guys who are also shy and may suffer from social anxiety? Not only would it help to have that in common, but you might find yourself more at ease with someone who understands what you've gone through. Try to get involved with activities that interest you so you can meet more people.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
I think you should just practice being social more, like set a goal of hanging out like once a month, or meeting new people. Im guessing your living in a city, so there are alot of opportunities there.

Theres tons of guys who are shy too, so your not alone!

Edit: btw i dont think you should discount younger guys either, there are many who are mature for their age.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
How does one find a way to deal with social anxiety? I have very little experience with dating/sex. Knowing this, how does one approach men 25-30+ who are more experienced than me. What is adding to the social phobia is the fact that I eventually have to tell guys that I am not as experienced and they will wonder why.

I don't want a 19 yr old. I don't want to be fake. I don't want to lie. But I also don't want everyone to know how socially clueless I am, yet I believe most guys can see the obvious. So first, I need to know how I deal with my social anxiety in dating situations and then how to express it to other people.
No one will know how "socially clueless" you are unless you tell them...Why do you feel you must "eventually tell them" that you are not experienced? Probably they wonder why you would tell them that more than they wonder why you're not experienced. You don't need to express anything to anyone...just be yourself, love yourself like you are and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships