Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much social inept myself but I was wondering what are some things that people do to annoy you socially and verbally?

Whether it be a club, parking lot outside a club, a bar, at the movies or even work where you have to socialize with people what are your pet peeves?

Somethings that annoy me socially are people who are extra extra loud for no reason.

Please do not limit your "creativity" with your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
I've just about learned to overlook/ignore most of the things that used to annoy me.

'I would never'

'You Should/Should Not'

'That is the way I am --take it or leave it'/indicates lack of ability to compromise and more

Using a magnifying glass to examine others and being oblivious to their own flaws

Analyzing me--discussing me with others---pretending that this didn't happen-

Becoming very defensive if anything needs to be discussed

I encountered a woman today that reminded me of myself on bad days---thankfully fewer of those days. Irate that the QT didn't have a Sunday paper--about 3PM. 'You should--' to the QT employee. Papers are delivered by independent contractors--if you are motivated you can call the paper and provide input to customer service. Unless there are many of such calls--then they won't increase the # of papers. She knew this.

Then we moved onto her other needs---none of which she isn't fully capable of meeting. Computers---needs someone to do something with her computer--cannot trust Office Depot--someone there might steal her fyi--legitimate concern she does people's taxes---but we live in a well-educated community and there are infinite ways to find Geeks of the highest order. I assume she is frugal and probably doesn't want to pay much for this service.

We live between 2 centers for senior citizens and had a lengthy discussion on how to get to each. She didn't like my directions and really knew exactly what I was talking about. She said she would call the consumer action line volunteers--who will then tell her to go the Senior centers.

I just smiled and wished her well. The Kroger has many Sunday papers--and she said that is where she was going.

Clearly there is something going on in her life that is bothering her.

I send good vibes or say some prayers for this sort of person---having been there and realizing just what an impression that makes on others. I'd say she is in good shape financially but who knows about the rest of her life.
'There but for the Grace of God, go I.'

Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Talking too much.
Not listening.
People who are obnoxious about cell phone use. Its not cool anymore to have a phone, get over yourself people it's just a tool.
Bad breath combined with people that like to barge into your personal space.

Much much more.... but I've gotta save some for the pet peeves thread.....

Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
When I`m trying to shop, i want elbow room. I hate it when someone comes barging in my space, and gets right next to me. I just want to reach over and poke her in the eye! Back off!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
The ones that annoy me the most are the ones who "complain" alot.... also the "one-upper"... and the ones who constantly "interrupt" other people's talks.... and the ones who wear politics on their sleeves... I tend to annoy people cause I have alot of useless facts, interesting but useless nonetheless.... I don't know why but useless facts amuses me a great deal... unfortunately it is rare to find that quality in anyone else...

Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
Someone eating while talking on the phone with you... "chewing their cud" LOL... cracking gum ... talking fast... "what did you say??" LOL... or someone asks you a question then in the middle of your answer interrupts you... hmmmm... yes peeves... LOL

Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
People that I don't know or have ever seen in my life, acting like they know me cause their friend's uncle's neighbors' best friend said they knew me, which is a total lie because I don't talk to them.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
People that I don't know or have ever seen in my life, acting like they know me cause their friend's uncle's neighbors' best friend said they knew me, which is a total lie because I don't talk to them.
Texas--'The South'---yes, that is somewhat problematic. I sort of miss that--living in the sprawling metropolis of the ATL.

None of us really know each other any more--our lives overlap in spots--diplomacy is needed to know where/when to venture closer.

The crossing of boundaries--I cannot be overly-concerned about this any more either. Friendly, chatty sort of person at times and understand that others aren't always up for this. I suppose I have very tolerant neighbors--since I haven't been 'thrown off the island' yet.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
Someone eating while talking on the phone with you... "chewing their cud" LOL... cracking gum ... talking fast... "what did you say??" LOL... or someone asks you a question then in the middle of your answer interrupts you... hmmmm... yes peeves... LOL
I have tried to train myself to be a better listener--one day realized that I was interrupting people while they were trying to speak. My mother does this to me---most of my family do this--the more dominant members --lol--if you pause for a breath--they jump in and you never get to finish your thought.

It's a style--people more inclined to action than words.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I generally contain my irritation pretty well, but some days are worse than others. The one that gets me the most, and it's usually people I love who do this, b/c of course I avoid people I don't much care for. I have a very soft voice that just doesn't gather much volume and when I'm participating in a group discussion, like at church or something, or I'm with a very talkative friend, people will run right over me when I'm trying to talk. I know they don't realize that they're doing it b/c it's hard to hear me, but I wish they'd be more observant. I'm learning to avoid the friends who do all the talking when it's just the 2 of us though--I've decided that it's very disrespectful to hog the convo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships