Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

When my dad died the people I thought I could count on the most were actually the worst in terms of providing any sort of support. One of my friends did send me a sympathy card four months after the fact, yet I did appreciate it. It's taken him six or seven months to realize just how much he wasn't there for me and he admitted he was a jerk. Just hearing him affirm this on a few occasions has been very healing. I never had to ask him. He just offered this.

Anyway, what do you think? Is an apology only valid if someone comes to the realization they owe you one on their own? Does it "count" if you tell them they owe you one and then they apologize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
When my dad died the people I thought I could count on the most were actually the worst in terms of providing any sort of support. One of my friends did send me a sympathy card four months after the fact, yet I did appreciate it. It's taken him six or seven months to realize just how much he wasn't there for me and he admitted he was a jerk. Just hearing him affirm this on a few occasions has been very healing. I never had to ask him. He just offered this.

Anyway, what do you think? Is an apology only valid if someone comes to the realization they owe you one on their own? Does it "count" if you tell them they owe you one and then they apologize?
An apology is only invalid when it is not given sincerely.

Asking for it or having it come to you unexpectedly has nothing to do with it

Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
I don't think it's so much the apology but the emotion and sincerity behind those words.

Sometimes people do hurtful things without realizing they are being hurtful. Sometimes it's how the receiver perceives the actions or words that may hurt their feelings, which was not the original intent.

I've had to say "hey when you said/did that it really hurt my feelings"...and have gotten an apology that was heartfelt and sincere. I've been on the other side of the fence too and then have felt awful when that person pointed out that I made them feel bad. Of course I apologized to that person and was sincere about it.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
An apology is only invalid when it is not given sincerely.

Asking for it or having it come to you unexpectedly has nothing to do with it
Ok, so your spouse sleeps with someone else. Scenario A - your spouse says I was horrible and please forgive me. Scenario B - I tell my spouse he owes me an apology and I get one.

Somehow to me Scenario A seems more sincere.

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Sometimes people don't realize that what they said was tacky or slightly rude.

If you do not see an apology forthcoming and you feel you are owed one, and you have a vested interest in that person, it seems perfectly okay to let that person know you were offended in some way.

At that juncture, they should offer an apology because it's the best thing to do in that instance.

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Never tell someone they owe you an apology. This way, if you get one, you can be more certain that it's sincere.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:

At this phase of my life--I don't really care.

Yes, reciprocity works well--so many forms of it. So many theories--'He/she wants/needs to be alone'---good as any theory. If you are totally alone --eventually you will do something--then you will do something else and so on.

I just say--'You know I am here for you--call anytime'--some things I do well to support others and sometimes I hurt them deeply. If I try to apologize it is generally brushed off. This may be the best way---for all I know.

You do become stronger, need less from people and then you can help other people. So it seems.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I don't think it's so much the apology but the emotion and sincerity behind those words.

Sometimes people do hurtful things without realizing they are being hurtful. Sometimes it's how the receiver perceives the actions or words that may hurt their feelings, which was not the original intent.

I've had to say "hey when you said/did that it really hurt my feelings"...and have gotten an apology that was heartfelt and sincere. I've been on the other side of the fence too and then have felt awful when that person pointed out that I made them feel bad. Of course I apologized to that person and was sincere about it.
Ah, but it's often hard to tell if the emotion and sincerity is real IMHO unless they come up with the idea. But I could be wrong.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Ok, so your spouse sleeps with someone else. Scenario A - your spouse says I was horrible and please forgive me. Scenario B - I tell my spouse he owes me an apology and I get one.

Somehow to me Scenario A seems more sincere.
Instead of telling him he OWED you an apology, why not tell him how his actions made you feel.

I honestly cannot stand when someone says "you owe me an apology". That would put me on the defensive and yes, it probably would not be very sincere either. Now if that same person said "what you did really hurt me" that would at least open the doors for communication.

I always hate it when adults tell children to apologize. It's not sincere if someone is basically forcing you to say it. I teach my kids how to communicate their feelings instead of spewing some generic "I'm sorry". That doesn't solve anything and they learn nothing from it.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Never tell someone they owe you an apology. This way, if you get one, you can be more certain that it's sincere.
Yes, I do think this is probably best. However, some people are so dense they might need to be told. Having said this, if you have to tell someone, it makes it worth less to me if you get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships