Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:42 PM

115 posts, read 355,310 times

Advertisements

Its a Friday night, I'm 24 and have no real friends my age to go anywhere with so I'm relegated to just sitting in my lonely apartment again surfing the web.

I've tried volunteering, going to events, etc. but still I rarely meet any eligible girls (mostly old people). I'm interested in too many unusual things most my age have zero knowledge in. So, I honestly don't know what to do anymore to meet girls...and I realize that at the rate I'm going, I'll be alone for the rest of my life unless I get out more. I've never been into the bar or club scene and don't think I'd want to meet a girl from there.

I miss having a close-knit community of people to confide with, like how it was in high school and to a lesser extent college (I was a commuter student that rarely got involved in school activities).

What are my options?

PS: I've looked into online dating sites but never found a girl from those that I'd be interested in dating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Where are you from and what is your hobbies or interests?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Try casual social sports. Any leagues that advertise as 21+ will cater to the younger crowd and most likely feature coed teams. Try to find a social sport like bowling (my city has a mini golf league with a bar on the course). This is how I met a group of good friends. Anything like basketball or flag football are too competitive and leave little room for socialization.

You could also expand your horizons by taking a class or joining a club. I know you've probably heard that a thousand times but here's the kicker: pursue something that most other people your age are enjoying and do it in a group environment. If nothing else it will get you out of your apartment one night a week. I've noticed that making new friends after college can be exceedingly difficult if you don't already have a social circle in your area. You're the one that has to be the social aggressor because the vast majority of adults are only passively looking for friends. Build up your social circle first, then you can start worrying about getting dates.

Another benefit to expanding your horizons a bit is that when you finally do get a date you won't bore her so much that she won't want a second.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Go to the dang clubs man (I am talking about where all the girls around your age is hanging out and dancing and music)... OMG... I wish I was your age again... I would having one hell of a time... of course, I would need the money but man.... I would be having one HELL OF A TIME... you seem like you need some more self-confidence... drink some alcohol before you get there and some more when you get there, of course have someone drive you too and hang with you...

Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Try casual social sports. Any leagues that advertise as 21+ will cater to the younger crowd and most likely feature coed teams. Try to find a social sport like bowling (my city has a mini golf league with a bar on the course). This is how I met a group of good friends. Anything like basketball or flag football are too competitive and leave little room for socialization.

You could also expand your horizons by taking a class or joining a club. I know you've probably heard that a thousand times but here's the kicker: pursue something that most other people your age are enjoying and do it in a group environment. If nothing else it will get you out of your apartment one night a week. I've noticed that making new friends after college can be exceedingly difficult if you don't already have a social circle in your area. You're the one that has to be the social aggressor because the vast majority of adults are only passively looking for friends. Build up your social circle first, then you can start worrying about getting dates.

Another benefit to expanding your horizons a bit is that when you finally do get a date you won't bore her so much that she won't want a second.
Good post! I think you're right, join clubs and just meet people and within your circle of friends you could meet someone or someone's friend or sister. At least you'll be out and about and when you do have a date you'll have something to talk about.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Go to the dang clubs man (I am talking about where all the girls around your age is hanging out and dancing and music)... OMG... I wish I was your age again... I would having one hell of a time... of course, I would need the money but man.... I would be having one HELL OF A TIME... you seem like you need some more self-confidence... drink some alcohol before you get there and some more when you get there, of course have someone drive you too and hang with you...

Who am I going to go with? Myself?

I'm sick of doing everything by myself, I probably give off the loner vibe anyway when I go someplace where everyone else knows each other except for me.

I don't think there is any place nearby like the club you're describing...I live in the suburbs if that helps.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth to valid View Post
Who am I going to go with? Myself?

I'm sick of doing everything by myself, I probably give off the loner vibe anyway when I go someplace where everyone else knows each other except for me.

I don't think there is any place nearby like the club you're describing...I live in the suburbs if that helps.
What are your interests? From there, I might be able to suggest somewhere you can meet like-minded people that are your age.

I agree not to drink and drive and you'll meet no one in a club.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM

378 posts, read 576,865 times
Go by yourself to a club and just ask a cute girl her name and make her laugh.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
What are your interests? From there, I might be able to suggest somewhere you can meet like-minded people that are your age.

I just need to meet girls, simply girls. My interests don't have to coincide with theirs, as long as the girls are relatively attractive, not into the whole glamor thing and open-minded, that would do. I honestly don't need much help with girls except for the exposure, I'm fully confident in myself to flirt with a girl I'm interested in, its just meeting such potential candidates that is so difficult for me.

Hope this helps.

I feel like I'm locked in a cage here and the most pitiful part of it all is that my charming looks are wasted on a hermit like me. lol. I should probably trade skins with some social but ugly guy.

Last edited by truth to valid; 04-08-2011 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post

Agreed. Clubbing is awkward without a group of people to go with, particularly if you're not into that scene to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships