Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I was just talking to a girl who used to work with me saying that her husband is quite annoyed with her because she lost her job a couple of days ago and now he says "Oh well guess I will have to pay all the bills this month " , I thought to myself is he married to you or are you his business partner ? Who acts like that with their spouse ? I thought this guy must be the biggest a hole I would ever meet . A marriage is not a business . who else feels this way ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Different couples do the finances different ways and it's their business, not ours.

Personally, I had to do some adjusting when I quit working to raise our children. It was my husband's idea and he nagged me until I agreed, then whenever I bought anything he went on about me spending his money. I wrote up a bill for everything I had done for him that month...haircuts, clothing alterations, meals, etc...and deducted my purchases from the total. Told him he could pay me that amount every month, or I could go back to work, or I could never hear another word about his money. That was five years ago and it's worked so far...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Not much of a husband...but she chose him...I agree with you!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,676 times
It's a partnership that has assets, liabilities, and equity.

So, no. Nothing at all like a business.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was just talking to a girl who used to work with me saying that her husband is quite annoyed with her because she lost her job a couple of days ago and now he says "Oh well guess I will have to pay all the bills this month " , I thought to myself is he married to you or are you his business partner ? Who acts like that with their spouse ? I thought this guy must be the biggest a hole I would ever meet . A marriage is not a business . who else feels this way ?

Your right..its a partnership..you support each other..Im sure she feels bad for losing her job...Now I could see if he said that because she lost her job on purpose or something like that. But just to be inconsiderate isn't called for.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
I would not like hearing my husband talk to me that way.
w
However; and I'm not implying your friend was embellishing...but without being there in person, we don't know exactly what was said.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:10 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,373,605 times
Not much of a husband, if you ask me

Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Me. My boyfriend pays all my bills. My ex boyfriend whined about ever having to do any of it (despite the fact I did it for him before I was disabled). Hence the ex part. You really should plan it that you can make it on one income anyway. My previous relationship it was just thrown on the ex due to a disability and that setback was never discussed as we got together rather young and he avoided conversations like that. Current it was discussed before it was an issue. You would think if they got married they would discuss that "what if one of us lost a job". That hubby's comment seems a little like passive aggressive guilt tripping. And definitely not emotionally supportive at one of those times it can really be needed. I hope he was just joking.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Sounds to me like he just made a statement and nothing more. Without being there, though, I don't know what his tone of voice was. But what you wrote that he said isn't a%%holish at all, IMO.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I would not talk to my wife that way, but on the other hand, most every woman out there wants equality, maybe that is his way of asking her for 'her share'. My wife and I keep our money separate, we have for almost 19 years now, and it works for us. No matter how you handle finances you need to be kind to your spouse, most of us would find it is tough living without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships