Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM

172 posts, read 394,446 times

Advertisements

right one.

Many of us have been in relationships in which both people wanted different things and as a result, the relationship ended. Upon doing so, we hope to meet with the right person at some point in the future. However, there is a possibility that many of us may never find that person.

If you are a woman, the younger you are, the easier it is to find someone else. We've all heard or read about how the pool is shrinking the older a woman gets (especially if the woman is middle-aged). Therefore, it is not unrealistic that some people find the right person after the end of a relationship that wasn't going anywhere, but there's always a few that won't.

My late mother used to always say, "You cannot depend upon other people to make you happy. You have to create your own happiness."

Since there are no guarantees in life, while I think that it's important to do things to enhance the opportunity to meet the person that may be the right one; ultimately, I think that it's VERY important to be happy with being single because there is a chance that (although the right person is out there somewhere) meeting the right person may not happen.

What's your opinion? If you have yet to meet the right person for you, are you happy living your life as a single person??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
in which both people want different things, with a possibility of never finding right person.

We've all heard or read about how the pool is shrinking the older a woman gets (especially if the woman is middle-aged). Some people find the right person after the end of a relationship that wasn't going anywhere, but there's always a few that don't.

My late mother used to always say, "You cannot depend upon other people to make you happy. You have to create your own happiness."

Since there are no guarantees in life, while I think that it's important to do things to enhance the opportunity to meet the person that may be the right one; ultimately, I think that it's VERY important to be happy with being single because there is a chance that (although the right person is out there somewhere) meeting the right person may not happen.

What's your opinion? If you have yet to meet the right person for you, are you happy living your life as a single person??
I'm not single now, but I was happy being so for a while before I met my hunny. I don't want to live my life without him, but I could. I like being single as much as I like being in a relationship. It wasn't always that way though.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,246 times
i like being single but there are some things that are nice to have in a relationship .but better to be in one that works than one that's miserable just for the sake of being in it

Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 AM

369 posts, read 618,081 times
You don't find the right person.

After a number of years of marriage you both become the right person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegurl View Post
right one.

Many of us have been in relationships in which both people wanted different things and as a result, the relationship ended. Upon doing so, we hope to meet with the right person at some point in the future. However, there is a possibility that many of us may never find that person.

If you are a woman, the younger you are, the easier it is to find someone else. We've all heard or read about how the pool is shrinking the older a woman gets (especially if the woman is middle-aged). Therefore, it is not unrealistic that some people find the right person after the end of a relationship that wasn't going anywhere, but there's always a few that won't.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:33 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Directed towards the OP..

Well I personally think that waiting for the person that best suits you is NEVER a WASTE of time especially if you are thinking long term..You do not want to settle for the sake of stating to friends, family and the world that you have someone..are a part of something...because this is foolery..sooner or later you are bound to be miserable.

I agree with your mom..but not entirely...It is always a good thing to get to know you better, what you want and what you need..to invest time in making yourself happy and not relying on anyone to supply this for you..

Regarding the shrinking pool? Bah...I am in my 30's and I get hit on now more than ever...lol..

Old 04-17-2011, 12:57 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
OP, from what you wrote in your post, you're coming off as desperate and unhappy.
Others can tell.

No one is going to make you happy. Would you be interested in going out with someone like you?
You go into relationships with a suitcase; when you open them up, some are full of life and experiences and happy, etc. Others are empty begging someone to fill them up.

What do you have to offer in a relationship? What do you bring to the table.

Here's a quick anecdote of a friend. She was desperate, telling guys on the first date that she wanted to get married and have babies. How do you think that worked out? Her suitcase was empty.
She went back to school to get her second graduate degree and was busy all the time. She met a guy who was not her "ideal" - she didn't have much time for him, wasn't that interested in dating, didn't have her whiny old story. This went on for 2 years.
They've now been married for 10, have 2 great kids and a great marriage.
What changed?
She got out of her own way and found fulfillment where it wasn't based on a guy having hair or her opening salvo of being married with kids.

Go do something you like; take a community college class, salsa dancing, cooking, whatever interests you.
Take care of yourself and you'll be taken care of.

You're in your own way, desperation is not attractive.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
I'm with Walt on this one!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
OP, from what you wrote in your post, you're coming off as desperate and unhappy.
Others can tell.

No one is going to make you happy. Would you be interested in going out with someone like you?
You go into relationships with a suitcase; when you open them up, some are full of life and experiences and happy, etc. Others are empty begging someone to fill them up.

What do you have to offer in a relationship? What do you bring to the table.

Here's a quick anecdote of a friend. She was desperate, telling guys on the first date that she wanted to get married and have babies. How do you think that worked out? Her suitcase was empty.
She went back to school to get her second graduate degree and was busy all the time. She met a guy who was not her "ideal" - she didn't have much time for him, wasn't that interested in dating, didn't have her whiny old story. This went on for 2 years.
They've now been married for 10, have 2 great kids and a great marriage.
What changed?
She got out of her own way and found fulfillment where it wasn't based on a guy having hair or her opening salvo of being married with kids.

Go do something you like; take a community college class, salsa dancing, cooking, whatever interests you.
Take care of yourself and you'll be taken care of.

You're in your own way, desperation is not attractive.
Hi Chielgirl,

I'm not desperate nor unhappy. I've been married before and have learned from that experience that it is better to be alone than to be married and miserable (I've NEVER felt more alone and lonely than I did when I was married). Although it would be great to have a partner, I enjoy being single and would rate it a 7-8 on a scale of 1-10. I voluntarily walked away from a relationship three months ago. If I would have been desperate, I would not have left. It wasn't a bad relationship, we just wanted different things.

The point that I was trying to make is that although we, as humans, want to have someone to share our lives with, what if we don't meet that person due to circumstances beyond our control?? Then it's our responsibility to create our own happiness. I was curious to read what others had to say about it is all.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP..

Well I personally think that waiting for the person that best suits you is NEVER a WASTE of time especially if you are thinking long term..You do not want to settle for the sake of stating to friends, family and the world that you have someone..are a part of something...because this is foolery..sooner or later you are bound to be miserable.

I agree with your mom..but not entirely...It is always a good thing to get to know you better, what you want and what you need..to invest time in making yourself happy and not relying on anyone to supply this for you..

Regarding the shrinking pool? Bah...I am in my 30's and I get hit on now more than ever...lol..
dr74,

I agree - been there done that. I believe that waiting for the right one is fine, but in the meantime, it is important to live one's life in the most fulfilling way possible. That way, if the right one doesn't come along, you are still doing things that make you happy. Yes, you will have your lonely moments, but I've had some of the worst lonely moments of my life when I was married. Being single and lonely paled in comparison.

Oh, and 30 is still quite young

Old 04-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney1987 View Post
i like being single but there are some things that are nice to have in a relationship .but better to be in one that works than one that's miserable just for the sake of being in it
+1000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships