Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 PM

21 posts, read 31,923 times

Advertisements

So...I posted my situation here fairly soon after breaking up w/ my ex. After about a month of not talking we started talking again (during finals time for both of us. I'm in my first year of rigorous professional school, she's in her last year of UG) but after a few weeks she said she couldn't trust that i wouldn't hurt her again and said we shouldn't talk.

The breakup was my fault and for xmas I wrote her a letter taking responsibility, explaining what i was doing to work on my issues, and said i'd be patient. I also sent her a little gift related to a passion of hers. She barely responded and it was clear that she wanted space so we haven't had any contact since.

In Jan she found out that i had asked a mutual friend if my ex was seeing anybody, got upset at both the friend and i, and blocked me on facebook (not defriend, which had already happened, but outright block)

Since then i've had a really tough time w/ some personal stuff that hadn't come up in my life until this tough school year began so that stress, coupled w/ my ex situation, has made the past six months the toughest of my life. BUT, since the breakup I have had regular visits with my school's counseling office and have worked hard at the issues that have been bothering me and have made some good progress. I feel much happier than i have been with school and genuinely enjoy the people around me. I feel like i'm back to my normal, happy-go-lucky self.

I'm happy w/ my progress but i'm still hung up on my ex. I probably talk about her too much but i've gotten better about it. I don't have her phone number, we're not friends on gchat, and while she unblocked me on FB a few weeks ago, we're not FB friends. I try to think about the reasons I broke up w/ her and try not to put her up on a pedestal. Despite all of this I still feel the pull to want to try again with her. I think much of the reason we broke up was the situation surrounding my first year of school and w/ that nearly behind me, the future isn't nearly as uncertain. I feel like i'm in a much better position mentally to try again.

I will be working thise summer in the same city as me ex (although I don't know if she'll be there for sure) and i'm really nervous about seeing her.

Any advice on how to proceed after several months of absolutely no contact?

Any advice on how to know if my feelings for her are genuinely as opposed to my ego being hurt still or wanting what i can't have?

PS. Sorry for the long rant...it's cathartic to put this in writing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
It's time to date others.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
It's time to date others.
This is good advice. I've had a couple of potentials but nothing has worked out yet. It's kinda tough w/ school to get out there like I should but i'm def open to the idea.

Basically, I want to make sure my feelings are real before trying to get back together with my ex but I also don't want to date randomly just to do it.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Forget the ex. Forget dating. Focus on your schooling.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Forget the ex. Forget dating. Focus on your schooling.
I certainly won't be contacting her until after finals. But what about during the summer while im in the same city?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpee View Post
I certainly won't be contacting her until after finals. But what about during the summer while im in the same city?
I'd be careful about that. And I wouldn't get your hopes up either. IF she isn't interested then you're hosed.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I'd be careful about that. And I wouldn't get your hopes up either. IF she isn't interested then you're hosed.
I feel that. It's definitely a concern of mine. I guess i've held onto the idea because the feelings were still there when we stopped talking. I knew that she still loved me and I still had strong feelings as well.

I'm sure she has moved on and is doing fine. I'm probably holding on because i want to believe that given the space i've given her, working on my improvements and the change in situation (the first year of school is the hardest) will give me enough of an opening to earn back her trust and that her feelings for me may still be there, lying dormant...

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM

The odds are stacked against you.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The odds are stacked against you.
Word. I feel like an idiot but there was just something about her...it just wasn't the right time. Maybe still isn't, i dunno.

That said, I learned a ton about myself as a result of school stress and the breakup. What i've learned will certainly help me in my future relationships (assuming i don't get another chance w/ my ex)

Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,646 times
Directed towards the OP...
I am going to assume that you are in your twenties and this relationship was fostered earlier in your life..

You stated one key thing thats stood out to about your entire thread..."You messed up...it was your fault"

And the reality that your ex was willing to have minimal contact with you until you made the faux pas and asked a friend if she was with someone...?
I need you to believe me when I state I am going about this in a nice and dipolmatic way...

Since you messed up and the relationship was null and void you need to expect for her to move on..and I do not know her but as a woman just because there is a break up and the other party messed up my indifference does not CONSTITUTE that I have moved on and in another relationship...IT was your mistake for asking a mutual friend if she was seeing anyone...an insult to her..

You need to accept and be culpable for the wrong you have done in the relationship and realize that she may no longer want to be a part ofit because she has realized that she deserves better...

Even though you feelyou may have changed she may be done with it and feels that there is too muvh hurt or damage to regress...

I do not think it is an ego "thing" with you..I feel you are feeling the normal pangs of regret..and you have realized what you have lost in her as a partner and by the changes you have made you feel you deserve a second chance...it is easy for you think this..there is a sense of entitlement going on here...Just because you SEE and KNOW the changes you have made and feel the need to make another go of it does not mean she is opn and nor does she own you the second chance..

If I were you I would take a more subtle approach, I would write her a letter stating everything that you feel, the wrong you have done, a heartfelt apology with no expectations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships