U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:09 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, I don't think there is a standing definition for the term. You're all wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....

Actually, I am more right than you in my definition, though you are not completely wrong either .

What are Daddy Issues?

"...the idea of having daddy issues relates more to the fact that a girl received inadequate or inappropriate attention from the father figure in her life. An absent father might trigger a girl’s desire to seek male approval elsewhere, and as a teen or young adult, to do so in a sexual manner."

http://www.askmen.com/dating/curtsmi...dy-issues.html

"These days, people say a woman has daddy issues when she appears to be seeking attention from men in order to compensate for the attention she may not have received from her father. When we talk about her daddy issues, we’re generally talking about things like aggressive flirtation, promiscuity, a tendency toward exhibitionism, and certain emotional hang-ups."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,814,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, I am more right
OK, you two, stop it! Don't you know I'm the most right?!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 2,258,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
I hear that come up in conversation occasionally saying so and so has daddy issues for whatever reason

It's the equivalent to calling a man a "mama's boy." Women have "daddy issues" when they have a physically/ emotionally absent or abusive father and it leads to a mistrust of the opposite sex. It can also lead to neediness, clinginess, fear of abandonment and excessive need for approval and acceptance from men, and problems with authority figures. Once a woman realizes she has this problem, it would be good for her to get with a good knowledgeable female counselor and work on these issues to overcome them. I personally believe female counselors are better for this purpose, because with male counselors, the woman's negative behavior patterns can be repeated or continued, even in therapy.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 PM

21,261 posts, read 19,316,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Gotta disagree with you my friend.

A woman like you are describing doesn't have "daddy issues" - those come from abandonment or lack of relationship with a father.

The woman you are describing is what we call a "daddy's girl". And they are no picnic to be married to either
I'm with loves, CPG. While you're right that a daddy's girl does technically have issues with her father, "daddy issues" usually refers to girls or women who have issues due to an absent or emotionally unavailable father.

Added:

What is interesting is that men don't seem to have the equivalent "issues" with an absent or emotionally unavailable mother. Some of them do have issues, but they are different. You might encounter men who have a lot of pent-up (or not so pent-up) hostility toward women that seems to stem from a feeling that women cannot be trusted--but some women have the same issue with their fathers. You don't really see young men seeking the same attention from older women in an attempt to satisfy that need for maternal approval, like women with "daddy issues" do. Or are they out there?

Daddy's girl/mama's boy are equivalent, though.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM

24,548 posts, read 14,875,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm with loves, CPG. While you're right that a daddy's girl does technically have issues with her father, "daddy issues" usually refers to girls or women who have issues due to an absent or emotionally unavailable father.
...and then we come full circle back to post #2.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
It primarily means you have or feel some kind of neglect emotionally from your father and seek a father figure verses an equal in a mate. Someone to take care of you, sometimes controlling - but not always.

It means the qualities you look for in a man are more daddy qualities in the way you want to be treated. You are the child.

Well said

Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 PM

921 posts, read 927,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

Added:

What is interesting is that men don't seem to have the equivalent "issues" with an absent or emotionally unavailable mother. Some of them do have issues, but they are different. You might encounter men who have a lot of pent-up (or not so pent-up) hostility toward women that seems to stem from a feeling that women cannot be trusted--but some women have the same issue with their fathers. You don't really see young men seeking the same attention from older women in an attempt to satisfy that need for maternal approval, like women with "daddy issues" do. Or are they out there?

Daddy's girl/mama's boy are equivalent, though.
This may be because it has been more socially tolerable for a young women to have a sexual relationship with an older man than for a younger man to have such a relationship with an older woman. The "cougar" phenomenon is only very recent, and even now is looked at askance.

Men with "mommy issues" will often take them out on SOs by acting childishly or impulsively, and letting their SO clean up the mess. It's different from being a "momma's boy", since he's not necessarily submissive to his mother's will. But it puts the couple in a parent/child relationship just like a young woman with "daddy issues" does.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,473 times
I have lived with a fantasy man since age 5. It was Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke. My father gave me everything money could buy but no affection or love and didn't watch over me or teach me right from wrong and never was around as we had maids living downstairs. He was married 6 x's and my mother left when I was 6. You have no idea what it is like when you start having orgasms at age 5 and using a back vibrator and you don't even understand what it happening to you. All the time, My fantasy was to have a nice strong total man to take care of me, be there for me when I do good things and love me and praise me but also watch over me and make sure that I walk the line and don't do bad things or make bad choices. To love me unconditional no matter what I do. To support me in anything I venture out to do. To discipline me however he sees fit if I do bad things or behave badly. Just to care enought to do it all. Because I didn't have that, I have lived my whole life looking for the perfect man to fill that role and to tell him this is what I need yet instead of finding it, I found the wrong guys for the part. I ended up holding all this inside me my whole life. I now am with a fair, right and just man but he is so nice and kind and non violent that he could never be both loving and a disciplinarian at the same time. Now I don't know what to do. I can't talk about it cause I fear he will leave me and feel he is just not the right man for the job. Too old to start looking again as I have a good man. I guess I will go to my grave with these desires yet if he could fill those shoes, I think it would make me happy, easier to live with and to feel truly loved for the first time in my life. I just don't know how to go about it. Any suggestions?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,331,469 times
The first thing that comes to my mind is molestation, because the few girls I knew who hated their fathers were in fact molested.

The next thing is a projection of hatred toward the father because of the way he treated the mother and/or the kids in the family.

Since I'm not familiar with the dynamics of alcoholism because I dislike it, girls whose dads drank seemed to have issues, too. I knew a girl in college with a 3.7 in Biology who turned down medical school to rescue (and marry) someone just like her dad.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 09-15-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 10:40 PM

1,470 posts, read 459,058 times
Okay, some of these definitions are really different from what I learned. I always thought it was when a daughter had a bad relationship with her father and she stereotyped her SO being the same way because of her former bad experiences.

Don't know what to believe anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships