U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 AM

525 posts, read 641,570 times
Default What does it mean when women have "daddy issues"

I hear that come up in conversation occasionally saying so and so has daddy issues for whatever reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 10:31 AM

24,497 posts, read 14,127,595 times
It primarily means you have or feel some kind of neglect emotionally from your father and seek a father figure verses an equal in a mate. Someone to take care of you, sometimes controlling - but not always.

It means the qualities you look for in a man are more daddy qualities in the way you want to be treated. You are the child.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM

14,455 posts, read 12,249,246 times
Those are usually the girls who are attention whores, and will go from guy to guy, whoever gives them the most attention.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 AM

5,909 posts, read 4,983,387 times
I think men and women have this problem. They believe that a partner has to unconditionally love them no matter what they do , just like a parent is expected to love their child. I think they can be devoted to a relationship devoid of sex.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 AM

5,523 posts, read 4,193,562 times
Thursday007.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
It primarily means you have or feel some kind of neglect emotionally from your father and seek a father figure verses an equal in a mate. Someone to take care of you, sometimes controlling - but not always.

It means the qualities you look for in a man are more daddy qualities in the way you want to be treated. You are the child.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM

16,049 posts, read 7,934,466 times
Quote:

You're right, and I don't like speaking to women like I were speak to a child.

In every relationship my best friend has had since college and on, he would speak to has GF as he would a child, and she would do the same back to her. I love my best friend and all, but I can't stand the way they would speak. It's absolutely annoying and I can't bring myself to the way they would speak.

And I treat my GFs as equals. I do not like acting like a father towards women, and nor am I really controlling.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,917,986 times
Quote:

This.

They usually go after older (Often MUCH) older guys, and don't go for being treated as equals, more someone to take care of them (Not just money)

BIG difference from 'Gold Diggers'

Sometimes Spoiled, Sometimes abused, sometimes molested... Runs the gambit from what I see...

Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,590,153 times
Quote:

Good post.

My take is that parents have a responsibility to raise a child into a person they can respect and who they can trust is capable of taking care of herself. If they did not do their job, then I believe there are "daddy issues." In order to do this, they not only need to discipline the child, they also need to avoid imposing on her. Some parents see both as a necessary part of raising children, which in that case is no longer discipline but punishment and control. Other parents are very good about not imposing but make the mistake of not disciplining.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM

47,586 posts, read 34,395,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
This.

They usually go after older (Often MUCH) older guys, and don't go for being treated as equals, more someone to take care of them (Not just money)

BIG difference from 'Gold Diggers'

Sometimes Spoiled, Sometimes abused, sometimes molested... Runs the gambit from what I see...
Yes, that is pretty much what the term means.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,259,390 times
To be quite honest, I don't know why women label themselves as having "daddy issues" because THEY can't get it together in their life. My father was hardly there in my life and when he was, he was so drunk he didn't remember and I never wanted a man as a father figure. I had one father and that was enough for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships