Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,013,770 times

Advertisements

Do you believe your (future) soul mate, "the one for you", or life time partner(is) was fated?

If you think so please explain. If you don't think so, explain anyways.

For people who are already in a succesful life time relationship explain when you first knew that your partner was the one for you.

Opinions and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I don't like the concept of fate or predestination, it takes away the one thing we all should have: free will.

I think if you've got your head on straight, know what you want, know how to get it and know how to keep it, you'll end up with "the one for you." Why? Because hopefully you'll end up with a woman who is super compatible with you.

If some want to call it fate, eh let them. But I'm sure most of it can be explained pretty simply.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:20 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
I don't think fate exists, in that nothing is inevitable, and most things are chance. You can only influence outcomes by thinking and behaving in ways that increase the possibility of the desired result. Certainly, strings of improbable events can and do occur, but it's still not fate or "meant to be."

I met - and married - someone who is ideal for me. I don't believe in soul mates or "the one", but she could be described as such. It was chance that brought us together, though the chances were increased by us both looking at the same time and being on the same dating site. I pretty much agree with HurricaneDC's assessment as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:35 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Funny you should ask b/c I felt "led" when I was making the decision to marry my ex. I don't mean that I was led against my will, but it felt like it was meant to be. And then when a few years into the marriage it became clear that he was nowhere near a soulmate, I got rather disillusioned with listening to my inner voice but now I think I understand. After all, we had the kids we were supposed to have, we don't hate each other too badly, and I think that maybe somewhere we had something we needed to work out between our souls. So just b/c you find a soulmate does not mean that you're destined to be with them til death do you part.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:43 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
No. I believe in free will.

You can do whatever you want to yourself, but not every woman that you are trying to attract will just throw themselves at you. Women are free and each have a different way of thinking, so I think fate has nothing to do with the person you attract. They just liked you at the time.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I do believe we are drawn into the lives of others, just as they are drawn into ours at certain times.

I also believe the things we choose in our lives lead us to our destinations, and you just gotta go with the flow. You are always exactly where you are meant to be, but if it doesn't feel right, then do what you gotta do to make it right again. I believe you do have that choice, and that again later on down the road, it will all make sense.

I've had many "ones"...never really a one and only, as they were temporary, but no shortage of loving experiences for personal growth.

I feel you'll have many "soul mates" in your lifetime; people you are (for whatever reason) karmically linked to, destined to meet, but they are not always forever...

Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,415 times
I believe in satisfaction. I know there are thousands of women capable of satisfying me physically, intellectually, and emotionally, but when I'm satisfied with one, I never bother looking for the rest of them.

I don't believe in fate nor soulmates. I don't even believe Souls exist.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 AM

146 posts, read 250,050 times
I did when I was younger and knew nothing about love really. My beliefs now or not quite as magical but a lot more optimistic. I don't believe in love at first sight, "the one" person that was created for you and all of that stuff. I just believe that some people are more compatible with each other than others. Any relationship has conflict. Through those conflicts that relationship grows. Passion ebbs and flows and sort of works in cycles of withdrawels and reconnection. Almost anyone that you're willing to establish trust, and communicate freely with can become your soul mate if you're both willing to put in the energy and committment to make it work.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Fate as in two people from opposite ends of the earth are meant to be together, therefore they will...no, I don't believe in that sort of destiny. Fate as in two people who are already acquainted are destined to be together...perhaps. All depends on how committed they are to the pursuit and timing as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:34 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano941 View Post
Passion ebbs and flows and sort of works in cycles of withdrawls and reconnection.
^ Love this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships