Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
My mom has joined her beloved husband. It is very quiet without the machine that makes oxygen humming.
My condolences.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Quote:
My mom has joined her beloved husband. It is very quiet without the machine that makes oxygen humming.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:29 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
It was a nice Saturday.

It was a sunny beautiful morning, sun was out, nice cool breeze. It was the only thing nice about that Saturday.

Mrs. Chow and I go to meet with my Mom on Saturday morning for lunch.

I try to get into her bldg, which has a security door. I call her on the intercom.

No answer.

I try again, no answer. I'm confused at this point not understanding what the deal is, she knows I'm coming over.

I get slightly nervous now. I know she takes the bus everywhere, she was pretty good at getting around on public transport. I figure maybe she had to take care of a few errands that morning before we get there for lunch.

I wasn't convinced of that.

I, unfortunately, think the worst, and, horrifically, start to call the local morgues to see if they have a woman in her 60's there. Not much fun.

I'm starting to panic at this point... I can't get a hold of her ... she's not answering her phone..... I can't get into her bldg.

I call her landlord, she comes over with the keys to her place. We go up to her unit, we open the door, I call her name, she doesn't answer, I go over to her bathroom door, It doesn't open, I find that shes laiying on the floor, blocking the door, I can't get in.

I tell her to move,she doesn't respond. I yell at her to get out of the way...... she doesn't respond.

I call 911, about 5 mins later, they show up, they bust there way into the bathroom.

She had been laying there for a day or so... I'll never know at this point. It will always be a guessing game for me, as to how long she was there.......

We get her to the hospital. I'm sitting in the ER.... there had been a drive by shooting and there was chaos in the ER, people crying, screaming. It was a nightmare. I'm sitting there zoned out, the ER doc finally comes over to me and starts to talk about my mom.

He tells me point blank.

"She's dying"

I'm like wtf, how do you know this, she just got here.... how can you be sure of this, surely you need to double check things.... how can you be so certain....

It turned out that she had lung cancer and her entire chest was completely taken over by cancer.

We get her into the hospital and her doc is telling me that it is a very "bad outcome" for her.

WTF does that mean. Just have the balls to tell me. She's dying right.

Never heard that.

She gets moved to hospice care, where they take excellent care of her. Very very happy and will always forever be thankful for the care she got. Who ever came up with hospice care.........

She died within a month. It was quick, they told me she would be dead within a month.

They were right, 4 weeks to the day she was gone.

I was there every single day to the end, she didn't sufferer much, thankfully. She didn't seem to understand what happend to her, I lost her the week before I found her on the floor. She didn't seem to understand what had happened to her. Which I think was a good thing, for her at least.

Her being in that hospice care really moved me, it changed the way I look at the world. It made me realize how short life is, how precious it is...... how we must not waste anything.

So, crabman, I feel ya, I really do, and you'll get through this.

Your mom isn't suffering anymore........ you are, but she isn't.

And you know what, you'll be OK, eventually......

Hang in there my friend.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
You're right, whoever thought of hospice care did a great service to humanity. When my ex-boyfriend was taken to hospice, he died in exactly one month as well. He was well cared for before he passed.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:

Wherever you are, my thoughts are with you.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
The people who work with hospice are true angels. When my grandmother was in hospice care, I was amazed at the care she received.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
I'm sorry, crabman.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
I'm sorry for your loss, crabman.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry crabman.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Big hugs crabman, I am so sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships