Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,106,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
The ones that don't talk much.
I don't know. What does she look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I care more WHAT somebody has to say, not how MUCH they say. I wouldn't mind a quiet girl if she at least had something to say, an observation, a wry comment, anything to indicate she had a mind of her own. I wouldn't want some empty vessel with no mind of her own, yet I wouldn't want a loud vacuous horn either. A girl who is opinionated and talkative but also talks substance is fine by me.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I care more WHAT somebody has to say, not how MUCH they say.
I agree, although they have nothing to say, that makes it awfully hard to get to know them. But as for people who talk a lot, what matters to most is WHAT they talk about. Too often, the people who talk a lot talk about things that really only interest them. But they want you to listen and they even take it personally if you don't show sufficient interest. I think that's pretty selfish. If I'm talking about something and the listener looks bored, I won't take it personally. I'll simply change the subject to something they'd like to discuss. Unfortunately, I think some talkers are too self-centered to do that. They don't care that you're bored. They just want your attention, which is why it's no surprise that many of these talkers are heavy into Facebook and Twitter. They can write about whatever they want, no matter how mundane, and they have plenty of people who'll read it.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,395 times
No.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Sometimes, but when conversation begins to be like pulling teeth, it gets old.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I agree, although they have nothing to say, that makes it awfully hard to get to know them. But as for people who talk a lot, what matters to most is WHAT they talk about. Too often, the people who talk a lot talk about things that really only interest them. But they want you to listen and they even take it personally if you don't show sufficient interest. I think that's pretty selfish. If I'm talking about something and the listener looks bored, I won't take it personally. I'll simply change the subject to something they'd like to discuss. Unfortunately, I think some talkers are too self-centered to do that. They don't care that you're bored. They just want your attention, which is why it's no surprise that many of these talkers are heavy into Facebook and Twitter. They can write about whatever they want, no matter how mundane, and they have plenty of people who'll read it.
Don't get me started on twitter ...who honestly cares what brand of toilet paper you use to wipe your ass, or whether you are stuffing your face with essence of vomit?

Sorry, back to the topic. In my experience, how quiet a person isn't a good indication of whether they have interesting things to say. I have a saying the more that comes out the less that goes in (well I just made it up just then on the spot, lol). Often quiet people think more, and thus have more to actually chew the jaws of intellect on.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on twitter ...who honestly cares what brand of toilet paper you use to wipe your ass, or whether you are stuffing your face with essence of vomit?

Sorry, back to the topic. In my experience, how quiet a person isn't a good indication of whether they have interesting things to say. I have a saying the more that comes out the less that goes in (well I just made it up just then on the spot, lol). Often quiet people think more, and thus have more to actually chew the jaws of intellect on.
In regards to Twitter, a tool is only as good as how you use it. It's one thing to inform your followers that you got laid off and need help finding a job. Then it's a very useful networking tool. But I think a lot of people just it as a brain dump. Whatever pops into their head, onto Twitter it goes. Someone the other day used the term 'verbal diarrhea'.

But you're right about quiet people often being the ones who think more. I tend to be more reserved in social settings and sometimes it takes effort to get me to talk at length about something. Part of that is because I like to sit back and observe and not just spout out whatever thought pops into my head. People who are more extroverted have a tendency to get their foot stuck in their mouth.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
I care more WHAT somebody has to say, not how MUCH they say.
Yes. The most sensible answer in this thread. Reps to you Trimac.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default gotta be careful with the quiet ones

my cousin's wife (who is from another culture) for years just sat there at the table not saying anything but always seemed to have a peculiar grin on her face, as if she was judging everyone

anyone who didn't notice the grin would have thought she is just a quiet shy type

well she turned out to be a nightmare B on wheels!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,195,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
The ones that don't talk much.
no. my wife is outgoing and talks a lot and i like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships