Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM

80 posts, read 96,015 times

Advertisements

What is it about the internet that seems to draw so many people to It? Is It more satisfying or Is It more safe as opposed to dealing with real people in an everyday environment. I've been apart of the debating community, for a very long time. I have served as both Mod and Admin of several sites, and It Is the posters who, to me are more intriguing than what they posted. There are some that are so lost in a world they can't relate to, and come here to try to find themselves. There are those that seek acceptance or recognition for things that set them apart from the rest of the world.

Does this live give us the feeling of having relationships, without the attachments that face to face relationships. Does the internet give us a place to create fantasies that we can control instead of having to find real relationships that we can't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I was just thinking about this....very good questions.

Perhaps several answers of those you mentioned....but yet different for each one of us. I think it is easier for many to discuss true feelings or beliefs in a forum...no interruptions, no body language, no personal repercussions about what is said...

Some have no one else to talk to, some just looking for fun, also it's quite entertaining, you must agree! Occasionally I will look at all of the posts from one person, a snapshot can be quickly surmised....

But don't check mine, ok??

quote=Demonbane;18820044]What is it about the internet that seems to draw so many people to It? Is It more satisfying or Is It more safe as opposed to dealing with real people in an everyday environment. I've been apart of the debating community, for a very long time. I have served as both Mod and Admin of several sites, and It Is the posters who, to me are more intriguing than what they posted. There are some that are so lost in a world they can't relate to, and come here to try to find themselves. There are those that seek acceptance or recognition for things that set them apart from the rest of the world.

Does this live give us the feeling of having relationships, without the attachments that face to face relationships. Does the internet give us a place to create fantasies that we can control instead of having to find real relationships that we can't?[/quote]

Old 04-21-2011, 02:44 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Awhile back I read a thread that talked about one of the reasons why people use the internet so much is because of mental illness. I mean it is relatively safe, and under the control of the user. I think we all have our reasons and they are as different as we all are, yet the same. We searching... I am here for entertainment and escaping reality.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
No one can judge you by anything other than what you say!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
A really good question.

If you think about it, it's really a craving for that which seems to have been lost. Namely, a desire for community and the freewheeling exchange of opinions. I mean, can you find that at work? Can you find that with your circle of friends? And if your friends do indeed provide you with stimulation, can they readily want to talk about what you want to talk about at that very instant?

I am someone who enjoys lots of friends and a great professional life. At the same time, I have long stretches of time where I have to work on my own. There have been entire weeks where I haven't seen anyone outside of my wife and kids because I've been wrapped up in a project. So over time, you just have to have a conversation with someone about anything.

What's more, I am extremely interested in relationships, both the normal and the abnormal interaction between people. I am simultaneously fascinated and repelled by the lives some of these posters live. What's more, as my new novel goes off to the publisher to be read (Think good thoughts), they've provided me with material.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM

420 posts, read 877,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No one can judge you by anything other than what you say!
True. But trust me: There are those who will definitely try.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
For me it's the sharing of ideas, opinions, and creative interests..Of course this should not replace real world face to face interaction..all in all, People need to be with other people.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
For me the Internet takes place of my "research"; I was a book fiend and loved to find out things from dictionaries, encyclopedias, novels. As for friends, nah, I still like to "talk" to my friends.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Could care less about belonging. I think it's more about procrastinating. And testing sociopolitical ideas in safe waters that aren't usually publicly testable. And getting my anger out (even though it is really for naught cuz it's not like stupid annoying people will really become convinced that they are stupid no matter how many times you repeat yourself).

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonbane View Post
What is it about the internet that seems to draw so many people to It? ...
Might as well ask why so many people watch TV, go to sporting events, participate in political forums, music tours and other gatherings. I suspect it fills a need. What that need is will vary from one to the next person. Perhaps you could tell yours.

For me, The "Internet" is a resource as well as education and entertainment. I pay my bills, I buy many of the things I use, I spend some time in help forums and... in a moment of extreme boredom, I found this relationship site. Though at times it is rather pathetic, other times it can be very interesting and has changed my thinking about the world and people. Where else can you get members of the opposite sex to be mostly honest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships