Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,330,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I'd had this whole long post written and then windows shut me down. In short, I do. I'm interested in your opinion.
Do you think there are some situations in which it's ok to lead someone on?

In short, I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Ok, VERY unattractrive coworker who never gets dates has secret relationship with married man, who gives her the impression she is very special, while most likely he will never leave his wife. I think in this case it's ok as it adds SOME happiness to her life even if she is deluded. Better to think she has something special and he might leave someday than feel miserably lonely every Sat. night.
Do you REALLY think that she is feeling special? Do you think he is with her every Saturday night??? I can go on and on with my response, but I don't want to lead you on.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Well, as it turns out he died in his mid forties and she gets/got to live with the illusion of "someday." Beats the realization of never.

No....she came to the funeral and saw his crying wife and realized what a fool she was and a moron for ever believing in "someday". How's that?

Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,084,990 times
Unless you are driving someone to an intervention, I say no, in the end all you have is your word and once to break that no one will ever trust you.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:32 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,964,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
No....she came to the funeral and saw his crying wife and realized what a fool she was and a moron for ever believing in "someday". How's that?
I don't know if she went or not, as I didn't press for info. And even if his wife was crying, doesn't mean she could not believe in someday.

I think some people have so little joy in life it's better to believe in a lie than to have to deal with the truth. Witness the whole dying process. Some are in denial right up until the end. Are they better for it? Maybe, maybe not.

Or what about the family who doesn't tell them they are dying and wants to keep their spirits up? They are leading them on. Is that wrong too?

BTW, I do not believe it's ok to cheat with someone else's husband and that is not the topic of the thread, so no need to get defensive.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know if she went or not, as I didn't press for info. And even if his wife was crying, doesn't mean she could not believe in someday.

I think some people have so little joy in life it's better to believe in a lie than to have to deal with the truth. Witness the whole dying process. Some are in denial right up until the end. Are they better for it? Maybe, maybe not.

Or what about the family who doesn't tell them they are dying and wants to keep their spirits up? They are leading them on. Is that wrong too?
I'm pretty sure that those who are dying know that they are dying and maybe it's better to tell them so they end up spending their last days living to the fullest.

Anyway, I thought your questions are related to the romantic relationships and I do not see any advantage in leading people on. How do you know, maybe your unattractive co-worker COULD have found a real happiness with someone if she wasn't fooled by ignorant bliss? What makes you think that she doesn't deserve a real joy, a real happiness instead off being led on by someone who doesn't care about her?

People who lead other people on are selfish.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,978,559 times
Like they say, "Ignorance is bliss." There are a handful of things I've learnt about life and society in general that's been detrimental to my happiness.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 04-22-2011 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,964,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm pretty sure that those who are dying know that they are dying and maybe it's better to tell them so they end up spending their last days living to the fullest.

Anyway, I thought your questions are related to the romantic relationships and I do not see any advantage in leading people on. How do you know, maybe your unattractive co-worker COULD have found a real happiness with someone if she wasn't fooled by ignorant bliss? What makes you think that she doesn't deserve a real joy, a real happiness instead off being led on by someone who doesn't care about her?

People who lead other people on are selfish.
No, I was just asking in general if there are any situations in which it's ok to lead someone on. I know in my family, warped or not, no one would saying you are dying and since I've never been close to it, I have no idea whether I'd know it or not.

For all I know he did care about her, but cared about his wife more or took his vows seriously. Maybe she found bliss.

What prompted this question is I learned yesterday that someone I'd been involved with was murdered in 1998 and I had to ask myself if I'd led him on. I had to ask myself if I'd done things differently if there would have been a different outcome. Then I remembered a coworker who committed suicide who was led on? and kept getting promoted despite her incompetence.

I still think in the case of the dying and to keep hope alive it's best to keep spirits up and not tell them their prognosis (is this leading someone on?) as it's their best chance at survival.

Anyway, I thought it was a thought provoking topic but I can see it's pretty black and white for most people.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM

10,162 posts, read 20,701,071 times
Quote:
No, I was just asking in general if there are any situations in which it's ok to lead someone on. I know in my family, warped or not, no one would saying you are dying and since I've never been close to it, I have no idea whether I'd know it or not.

For all I know he did care about her, but cared about his wife more or took his vows seriously. Maybe she found bliss.

What prompted this question is I learned yesterday that someone I'd been involved with was murdered in 1998 and I had to ask myself if I'd led him on. I had to ask myself if I'd done things differently if there would have been a different outcome. Then I remembered a coworker who committed suicide who was led on? and kept getting promoted despite her incompetence.

I still think in the case of the dying and to keep hope alive it's best to keep spirits up and not tell them their prognosis (is this leading someone on?) as it's their best chance at survival.

Anyway, I thought it was a thought provoking topic but I can see it's pretty black and white for most people.
It's a slippery slope when you start taking on thoughts about whether or not you could have done something differently that would have made the difference in someone's suicide or tragic death.

In the case of your friend who was murdered, any number of things could have diverted his course and prevented him from being killed. He probably could have done 100 different things outside of his normal routine that may have made a difference. He could have made 100 different life choices. You can't carry that weight around with you.

Your co-workers suicide -- chances are there were a lot of other things going on that led her down that path. It's typically not just one thing that drives someone to the point they take their own life. I doubt you had the deciding factor at your fingertips or within your control.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,782,574 times
Quote:
Ok, VERY unattractrive coworker who never gets dates has secret relationship with married man, who gives her the impression she is very special, while most likely he will never leave his wife. I think in this case it's ok as it adds SOME happiness to her life even if she is deluded. Better to think she has something special and he might leave someday than feel miserably lonely every Sat. night.
I'm sure you're beautiful and date alot. To you she's ugly, unhappy and not special at all. Wow, to you.

Not really sure, if he's leading her on. Do you know he's giving this impression. I'ma leave my wife for you. Is she misguided to date a married...yes.

btw: attractive women date married guys too. Just so you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships