Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have be your wife (read the post)?
SAHM 42 29.58%
Career woman 57 40.14%
I'm a woman 43 30.28%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did you read the original post?
You mean reading's a prerequisite to replying?

I agree with your earlier post. The OP should take the sexual aggressiveness/passiveness out of the choices, otherwise we can't tell if men prefer traditional or career-minded wives, not to many that there is no correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
Quote:
Did you read the original post?
The whole thread in fact. What makes you think I didn't? I can still respond to this thread even if I am not a man and I don't think a moderate level of comfort is achieved by many people. The reality is most women have a higher standard now for what income is acceptable because on average women are now more educated.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Why do I need a career woman when I make more money than two people LMAO. I chuckle to myself when I hear other dudes yap about finding a woman with a good salary cheque. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it has to happen by itself, explicitly looking for it is a sign of emasculation

However, I'm not gonna stop my wife if she wants to achieve something.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
The stereotype that you've drawn of both SAHMs and women who are employed are unrealistic.

Not every woman with a job is a driven corporate climber who is aggressive in and out of the boardroom. Not every woman who parents full-time is a meek, timid mouse with antiquated values.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM

126 posts, read 275,838 times
Definitely a career woman. I want a woman who is smart, determined and has ideas about how to change the world. (Please don't read as SAHM aren't smart/determined). I couldn't imagine not working so I could never ask my wife to do that. Ambition is sexy. Financially, my wife doesn't need to work, but she would go crazy if she had to stay home all day.

I do think I would want my wife to stay at home for a short period after our children are born though.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Good grief, the two "possibilities" are so one-dimensional and sterotypical that I wonder whether either literally exists.

Every single woman I know is shades of either/or, and/or has more or less...or does more or less, than either of your examples.

I just wouldn't even know which end to pick this question up by.

My situation: I'm a WAHM. I worked outside the home for 20 years. When we moved cross-country, we discovered our son had special needs and would have to be transported to special day class, therapies and doctors, so we figured one of us should stay home if that were possible. DH and I got job offers at almost the same time (I actually got mine a little earlier than he did) but his was for much more money so I stayed home.

However, I'm not "sexually passive" (LOL! OMG, are we talking June Cleaver or something? Weird distinction, OP) and my husband doesn't make 100% of the money; I freelance -- I could not simply live "off of" another person, not even my husband. Not that I think it's wrong in general, I just think it's wrong for me. I am extremely uncomfortable not bringing in any income at all.

I know women with all sorts of shades of gray to your black-and-white. Yet I know neither a (figurative) black nor white and over the course of my lifetime, believe me, I've known a lot of women and men.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
What makes you think I didn't?
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I'd rather be a SAHM except that most men of today just don't earn enough $$$ to cut it. Probably like 99.5% of situations I would not choose to stay at home.
when the original post specifically mentioned this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
you already make enough on your own to support your family with a moderate level of comfort

Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
I'm a Super Dad; I'm a Dad AND I have a career.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:59 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Why do I need a career woman when I make more money than two people LMAO. I chuckle to myself when I hear other dudes yap about finding a woman with a good salary cheque. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it has to happen by itself, explicitly looking for it is a sign of emasculation

However, I'm not gonna stop my wife if she wants to achieve something.
Emasculation? I don't know about that. I doubt it has much to do with masculinity or being emasculated.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times
Quote:
I'm a Super Dad; I'm a Dad AND I have a career.
Wanna Cookie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships