Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have be your wife (read the post)?
SAHM 42 29.58%
Career woman 57 40.14%
I'm a woman 43 30.28%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,672,352 times

Advertisements

I'm pleasantly surprised to see how many guys prefer women who work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM

13,000 posts, read 18,853,443 times
Even if the husband is making enough to pay all expenses, when he gets laid off for a long time there should be a backup system.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,662,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Even if the husband is making enough to pay all expenses, when he gets laid off for a long time there should be a backup system.
Or if he loses his fool mind in midlife and dumps the housewife for a more exciting model, and then ******* and whines about having to pay alimony. Not a far-fetched situation in my observation.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Not that I care about the OP really, but please show me where in the OP there is a mention of stereotypes, let alone specifics. I'm missing it. Actually, I don't see it mentioned on the first page. Also, folk don't get to willy nilly redefine and characterize stereotypes as they wish while having all their readers on board as if all are capable of deciphering the exact same gibberish.
Post 23. He clarified after a bunch of people jumped in with OMG I AM NOT LIKE THAT. It makes sense to me because I am not taking it personally.

Would you prefer yellow cake with fudge icing, or chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream? Yes, other kinds of cake exist but that wasn't the question.

Or if that seems too silly--whom would you rather date, an attractive man with no job, or an unattractive man with a job? You don't have to acknowledge every possibility when giving someone a simple choice.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-30-2011 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,387,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Would you prefer yellow cake with fudge icing, or chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream? Yes, other kinds of cake exist but that wasn't the question.

Or if that seems too silly--whom would you rather date, an attractive man with no job, or an unattractive man with a job? You don't have to acknowledge every possibility when giving someone a simple choice.
If the OP really wanted to isolate whether men would prefer a SAHM or a career women, he would get more accurate results by leaving sexual style out of the question.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
If the OP really wanted to isolate whether men would prefer a SAHM or a career women, he would get more accurate results by leaving sexual style out of the question.
Maybe he's just making the choice interesting.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,180,751 times
I'd rather be a SAHD

Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,744,044 times
All depends. On one hand it's nice to have a SAHM to bond with the children, particularly in the early years. However, being a SAHM can sometimes take it's toll, especially if she has little to no social life outside you and the kids. When you get home from work you might be the first and only adult she's had a chance to interact with all day. She may want more of your attention than you're willing to spare. Staying home all day with kids and doing housework can slowly take it's toll on your sanity.

I wouldn't insist having it one way or the other. If she wants to stay home, fine, stay home. If she wants to work, have at it. The pursuit of happiness applies to each.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,762,259 times
SAHM = Gold Diggers!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:15 AM

143 posts, read 377,592 times
The eternal question of SAHM vs working mother will never be answered satisfactorially without knowing the home situation. It's not just money that determines a dual vs single income home. There's also temperament of the at home parent, financial goals of the family, # / ages of children, type of job of the working spouse, the social support of the family.

My parents both worked but they also had social support from extended families. Both my grandmothers participated in caring for me as my parents worked. My mother was also ill suited to stay at home life. She enjoyed working for an income, and liked her job. She also still managed to cook home meals every day (alternating with dad) and made sure she was available for all of my important events.

However, some people enjoy staying home, having home projects, caring for children. Others have a large family and find daycare costs prohibitive even if affordable.

This doesn't have to be a traditional vs modern. Plenty of modern girls I've met choose traditional lives, and vice versa. It's whatever suits the family needs at that time. I knew one friend who swore that she would be a SAHM but found herself the breadwinner after her husband was laid off. Life throws you a curveball. Just don't be stupid about being set in your ways. Always be prepared to go back to work, or to take time off to care for family. I hope to follow my dream of working fulltime, but I also need to make sure I have the ability to stay home if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships