Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have be your wife (read the post)?
SAHM 42 29.58%
Career woman 57 40.14%
I'm a woman 43 30.28%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times

Advertisements

No way I could be with a stay at home woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I'm a wife. Sometimes I work - sometimes I don't. My husband makes enough to support us so I can still pursue my dreams without the added pressure of being responsible for all the bills.

When I'm working - I'm an animal in the bedroom and way agressive in general. When I'm not working, I'm totally passive in the bedroom and the perfect little housewife. HAHAHAHAHA!!! Seriously - what does working have anything to do with a person's sexuality???

Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
What I presented were two individual characters, not archetypes or women representative of the stereotypical stay-at-home mom or career woman. Respondents were supposed to choose one of the two women as their wife.

Although neither is representative of their class as a whole, women exactly like the two described surely exist. The stay-at-home mom I based on the traditional Mexican ideal of a wife (and for those who ask, the "sexually passive and traditional" is there because of the distinction between virgins and whores that was prevalent in Mexican society, or so I read); the career woman, as the opposite of my ideal wife.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What I presented were two individual characters, not archetypes or women representative of the stereotypical stay-at-home mom or career woman. Respondents were supposed to choose one of the two women as their wife.
Well, I can tell you with pretty much 99.9% accuracy that my husband wouldn't have chosen either of those unappealing sterotypes...whether the two specific women actually exist or not.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:26 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When I'm working - I'm an animal in the bedroom and way agressive in general. When I'm not working, I'm totally passive in the bedroom and the perfect little housewife. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
LOL, awesome. Hey, what a coincidence, Dewdrop. When I have a heavy freelancing day, my husband comes home and I throw him down on the couch, rake my nails over his face until I draw blood and scream "GET IT UP NOW!"...whereas on days where I have a parent-teacher conference instead, I cower in the corner asking politely whether my husband would like more home-killed, plucked, quartered and baked chicken, or am I free to go hand-wash and starch-press all his underwear now?

My God. The coincidences are just...eerie!

OP. You were right!

Choose carefully, boys! Some women don't file their fingernails.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:

Although neither is representative of their class as a whole, women exactly like the two described surely exist. The stay-at-home mom I based on the traditional Mexican ideal of a wife (and for those who ask, the "sexually passive and traditional" is there because of the distinction between virgins and whores that was prevalent in Mexican society, or so I read); the career woman, as the opposite of my ideal wife.
Okay... but then you aren't really going to have a clear read on the results on your poll. Some may vote for the stay at home wife but would rather have someone sexually agressive - and some may vote for the career woman but would rather have someone more traditional in the bedroom. There are too many variables to have the results give a clear indication on what men would actually prefer.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Let's say you already make enough on your own to support your family with a moderate level of comfort and go on a week-long vacation in minimal luxury once or twice a year. That assumed, which wife would you prefer:

SAHM: Very traditional. Does not have a career and has not had a career since she was pregnant with your first child, 13 years ago. Watches the children at home. Cooks seven nights a week, except when the family eats out, which is rare due to budget constraints and her quality of cooking, which is excellent. Almost all household chores (except those traditionally done by males) done by her and your eldest daughter. Sexually passive and traditional. Happy and satisfied in her role.

Career woman: Aggressive in her career, at which she makes as much as you. Takes the kids to a daycare. Cooks one or two nights a week; the remainder of the nights you eat out, you cook, have left-overs, or convenience food is prepared.. Household chores divided almost equally among the partners. Sexually aggressive. With her additional income, you are able to live to a higher standard, e.g. a 65" flat screen instead of a 42"; BMWs and MBs instead of Buicks and Fords. Happy and satisfied in her role.
I am a woman. I don't think I would choose either as a mother. There is not enough information to tell me if the woman is competent in raising children. Watching or dropping off is not disciplining children. Home cooked meals or eating out has nothing to do with disciplining children.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Ok I voted and even replied without reading the OP

You have funky versions of the SAHM and the career momma, mate

Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm a wife. Sometimes I work - sometimes I don't. My husband makes enough to support us so I can still pursue my dreams without the added pressure of being responsible for all the bills.

When I'm working - I'm an animal in the bedroom and way agressive in general. When I'm not working, I'm totally passive in the bedroom and the perfect little housewife. HAHAHAHAHA!!! Seriously - what does working have anything to do with a person's sexuality???
Does Mister Dewdrop incur claw wounds

Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Depends how much money I was making at that point, duh.

If the family needs the extra income, better to work. If not, better not.

Context matters.

Agreed. My career hasn't been great, so I'd prefer a woman with a career. I know its harder to raise kids, but it takes a lot of money to support a family, and despite all my education, I don't make enough to do it all myself. Sad, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships