Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why are we going to assume that? Because a handful of guys on CD say so? I have no idea what percentage of men are sought after in any age group by women at large. If you have some kind of stat please link it. I'm of the mind that it's a minority of men that have no luck with women. If we use CD as an example, you will find that it's roughly 10 regular members in the relationship forums who make the claims, which are usually sandwiched between massive complaints. It's in no way a majority of CD men. So, I just don't get where these assumptions come from.

And as I stated previously, the pickings simply slim out as we get older due to the fact that people couple up. That could perhaps give the minority of men who had no luck in their 20s a better shot in their 30s and 40s.

Again, no. There is absolutely no reason to believe this. That bald head and that tire around the middle is not sexy. Granted, many men don't realize this, but women do.
From my experience, I 96% agree. I can't say 100% as there are those men who will only date younger women no matter what (but I do not begrudge them that, as I will only date younger men!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmorrison75 View Post
Sorry to disappoint the midlife ladies around here, but fact is you were more desirable in your 20's. That's nothing to be ashamed at, I've said in a number of my posts that women 40+ can be very attractive, but that doesn't change the fact that, in general, men have an easier time on the market 40+ than women do, just as women have an easier time on the market in their 20's/30's than men do. I don't know why some of you are taking this as a personal insult.
The only reason you are having an easier time in the market at 40+ is because there are few left. It's not a matter of insults, it's a matter of devoid logic and intellectual investigation. I guess you could call it an intellectual insult, but the net is generally so.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Do you think, if weight/looks didn't change except for normal aging, that you would garner the same volume of interest in your 40's as you would in your 20's? Women in their 40's garner interest from younger men all the time. In most cases, it's because the guy is looking for a good time with the older women and there's no possibility of a relationship, other than something purely sexual. Some younger men will date women substantially older and form a relationship, but generally those are men who aren't looking for someone to grow old with and have a family, just someone who's a good time (sexually and other) for the time being.

Just a little word of advice for you, don't take what men say to attract a woman as gospel (younger guys want a woman with her life together, older guys have nothing in common with a younger woman, etc). Men often say these things to get into a woman's pants. Check out their actions, not their words.

Wow, you have a worse opinion of men than women.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM

28 posts, read 25,489 times
Quote:
It really doesn't matter. According to census married couples tend to have a 3 year age difference. They tend to have the same level of education, SES, religion, and culture. Outliers from the trend are just that, outliers.
It really does matter sweetheart. The heart of the issue is whether women have more market power 40+ than 40-. The evidence that the hypothesis is untrue is mainly anecdotal ("I have plenty of men after me", "a 20 something hit on me"). That doesn't describe market power, it decribes males being horny. The true test of a woman's market power would be if men 10 years or more younger than she were after her and the relationship were successful, and vice versa for men. There are plenty of older man, younger woman relationships that last many years. Asking if the reverse is true is valid and helps substantiate the claim that, aside from the lure of a good time, older women do not have the same market power as younger women.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The only reason you are having an easier time in the market at 40+ is because there are few left. It's not a matter of insults, it's a matter of devoid logic and intellectual investigation. I guess you could call it an intellectual insult, but the net is generally so.
Your conclusion would be valid if I said I had an easier time with women my own age only. I have an easy time with women in the 25-35 age range and there are plenty of men in their age range still unmarried.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Maybe you are thinner or better looking than you were in your 20's? Also the fact that the 20 something hit on you and made you and your husband chuckle is interesting. Did you chuckle when you got hit on when you were 22?
No, I'm not thinner. I think my BMI is up to 23 now. And yea, sure I chucked when I was 22. This guy was blowing kisses at me and he happened to be standing behind my husband, which I assume he did not realize. I started to laugh, my husband turned around and saw him, the guy stopped, and my husband laughed. He then approached my husband. It was funny. I've posted a couple of pics from just last night to a new album in my profile. I'm sure my CD friends can attest to the fact that I'm not an old battleax ready for the junk yard.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,571 times
Quote:
More rubbish. Men only appear to be declining because more women are obtaining graduate degrees and have good careers. There are plenty of high achieving men out there.
Well, your first sentence only proves my point that more women are now in college and even taking advance courses to get those good jobs as the men are just not doing it! And yes, the majority those "high achieving men" may be on top for now, but like I have observed, that will not be forever....

Do me a favor, next time, look around at the banks and on TV and see if you do not see what I did. AND, if you have children, see how many males are on the honor roll or taking AP classes or are even planning on going to college! Men have the smarts, per SAT scores and the IAMFIRST competition that I just watched as males were in the majority of the first robot competition, but what are they going to do with it?? That is what I am concerned about.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not thinner. I think my BMI is up to 23 now. And yea, sure I chucked when I was 22. This guy was blowing kisses at me and he happened to be standing behind my husband, which I assume he did not realize. I started to laugh, my husband turned around and saw him, the guy stopped, and my husband laughed. He then approached my husband. It was funny. I've posted a couple of pics from just last night to a new album in my profile. I'm sure my CD friends can attest to the fact that I'm not an old battleax ready for the junk yard.
Nor did I say that women 40+ are old battle axes ready for the junk yard. Simply stated, women in their 40's have less market power in the dating scene than women in their 20's and the reverse is true for men, generally speaking. Your "studies and stats" speak to married couples and some components of aging but do nothing to refute the balance of the power in the dating scence as each gender ages.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
I'm sure my CD friends can attest to the fact that I'm not an old battleax ready for the junk yard.
Of course a 40+ man never has to claim friends can attest to his relatively good looks.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Well, your first sentence only proves my point that more women are now in college and even taking advance courses to get those good jobs as the men are just not doing it! And yes, the majority those "high achieving men" may be on top for now, but like I have observed, that will not be forever....

Do me a favor, next time, look around at the banks and on TV and see if you do not see what I did. AND, if you have children, see how many males are on the honor roll or taking AP classes or are even planning on going to college! Men have the smarts, per SAT scores and the IAMFIRST competition that I just watched as males were in the majority of the first robot competition, but what are they going to do with it?? That is what I am concerned about.
I never said the men aren't going to college or getting advanced degrees, just that more women are doing it now than in the past. It doesn't mean men are regressing, it means women are progressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships