Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times

Advertisements

I imagine my scenario is pretty common. As a child I was pretty shy.
The more time has gone on, the less shy I have become. To the point now (early 30's) where I'm the complete opposite of shy.
Just wondering how common this scenario is. Esp want to hear from you if you were shy as a child......and how you are now as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
The more time has gone on, the less shy I have become. To the point now (early 30's) where I'm the complete opposite of shy.
Just wondering how common this scenario is. Esp want to hear from you if you were shy as a child......and how you are now as an adult.
Yeah I was pretty shy up until the 5th grade. I wouldn't speak to anyone, and sit there at my desk, not say a word, and listen to the teacher. I had a few friends, mainly identical twins, whom I was able to distinguish who's name was who's besides there parents.

History would have repeated itself in the 5th grade had a teacher not force me to sit next to a boy who had trouble getting passing grades and couldn't keep a desk partner(she would stick us in pairs and sit our desks together). I started shy, but he was a nice guy, a little misguided, and I was stuck with him for the remainder of the school year. I started to hang out with him, too, which helped me learn to enjoy basketball, and I started to like women(I think I was a bit young, but I guess I was an early bloomer). Today I'm not like I was then(could you tell, ladies? ) But I still have some shyness to me. I don't think I'll ever completely get over the shyness, actually.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
I think "shy" is what ignorant people label others who are too perceptive at anticipating unhealthy behavior. I mean, let's face it, people are "shy" because so many other people are "rude".

Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I think "shy" is what ignorant people label others who are too perceptive at anticipating unhealthy behavior. I mean, let's face it, people are "shy" because so many other people are "rude".
I like this perspective. I was very shy as a child mainly because I couldn't figure out why people thought it was okay to be rude to me but if I was rude to them....all hell would break loose.

OP, I was shy as a child and I still perceived as one as an adult but not because I am afraid like I was as a child. I pay very close attention to behavior not to use against other people but so that I am not surprised when they react the way they do.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Default Brooklyn Boy!

I was a very shy child, and often picked on as a kid. Was an only child as well. I grew up fast due to both my parents being deceased by age 11 and being raised by my grandmother..Who did a great job but was elderly and needed help as well. She had a strong personality and installed a go-getter attitude, always reminding me of our small family and that I would likely be on my own young. It came true. Was living on my own completely by 19, And the outgoing, but kind survivalist in me kicked in. i had to be out there and learn about the world.

As i did not mingle with other kids very much, I sought solace in knowledge about everything. Read books, watched shows on everything from history to religion to science. It helped me get some confidence, no doubt!

Today Brooklyn boy is in a outgoing careeer for 6 yrs in the hospitality business. I enjoy it, and value people and lie interacting with them, no matter race, religion or creed.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
I meant LIKE interacting with them my spelling today..oh dear.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:02 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Same story here, mainly I wouldn't stand up for myself. I would have a couple of friends in class and the others were just desk fillers. I was this way until I hit the real world then all hell broke loose.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
I was a pretty shy kid. I some-what wanted attention but didn't like to get attention at the same time. As an adult, I am some-what still shy. When I'm comfortable, I'm real comfortable.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
I'm definitely more open now, but I'm still an introvert.

My instincts still tell me to go low profile, and trying to be open and social is always a conscious choice rather than a natural behavior for me.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:59 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
I am the same way. I was backwardly shy as a child and young adult but then around 25 y.o., I bloomed and started talking and haven't shut up since. No one believes me when I say I was very quiet as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships