Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 PM

326 posts, read 813,710 times

Advertisements

why do I keep attracting the wrong people(friendships/relationships)? I cut off another fake friend and know I have absoulutely none. I'm going through a really rough time in my life so its hard for me to open up...I feel like my life is hopeless. what would you do If someone you really trusted and thought was sincere stabbed you in the back at your most vulnerable point in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Because you have no self-esteem or self-worth and the wrong people can pick that vibe up from you and take advantage of you.

Really, Tweetie, you need to step back and either go to therapy or get self help books and work on yourself. Get that self confidence that you need to have a wonderful, happy life.

Sometimes we need to be alone for awhile just to sort ourselves out so that when we're ready we'll meet the best people for us.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 AM

494 posts, read 1,609,869 times
I'd like to give advice on this, but I'm in the same spot. I withdrew from all my friends because I realized they didn't care a rats ass about me. So what am I doing now? I'm trying to move on and make new ones. Move to some place else and make a fresh start. Change my image. I'm not saying you need to do that, but maybe you too need to find a way to make a fresh start for yourself.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 AM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times
I recently eliminated some friends too, but really, I don't care because I have so many other friends who are really good people. Beyond that, I'm too focused on school and enjoying myself to care if I make friends or not, on top of the fact that I probably won't be seeing much of these people when I graduate and have to move.

I think you should just do things that make you happy. that always seems to help me! Friends come and go, all we really need are a few close friends and in time, that'll happen to you too!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
why do I keep attracting the wrong people(friendships/relationships)? I cut off another fake friend and know I have absoulutely none. I'm going through a really rough time in my life so its hard for me to open up...I feel like my life is hopeless. what would you do If someone you really trusted and thought was sincere stabbed you in the back at your most vulnerable point in life?
From childhood as our personalities develop, we learn to like some things and dislike other things. That’s how our emotions work, and the things mentioned can be other people, animals, objects, a situation, an instance, words, actions, the way a person looks, behaves, and so forth. So, when you are around other people, unconsciously you feel attracted to those you find comforting, to those you like, or simply to those who give you a feeling of trust, sensuality, happiness, or anything else that you enjoy. It isn’t necessarily that you are attracting them, but that you are drawn to them (you are the one who is attracted to them).

The bottom line is that you hear, see, or perceive in others are your own emotions, things you like or dislike, things that make you comfortable or uncomfortable, and so forth. It does not mean that the person you are looking at, talking to, listening to, etc., is exactly as you feel he or she is. It just means that you see, hear, or perceive only what we want to hear, see, or perceive. Also, it does not mean that the other person is a bad person, nor a good person.

After knowing the person for a longer time, one sometimes realizes that the person is different than what one thought at the beginning. At the beginning you don’t listen to the little “red flags” or warnings in your mind, and only see or hear things that you like (things that make you happy, comfortable, excited, and so forth).

A final note: have you seen couples where one is abused by the other for a long time, and then separate? There is a pretty good chance that the abused person will seek the same sort of relationship in the future, unless he or she realizes what’s going on ahead of time.

It’s best to be alone than to be accompanied by a bad or mean friend. Meanwhile, read books about personality traits, human behavior, relationships, and so forth. And don't forget that one you may think as being a bad person is not always true, for that person too sees in others a reflection of his or her emotions.

And please forgive me for repeating the same things a few times ☺

Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
Sometimes you have to trim the fat and rid your life of toxic people. Take a periodic inventory of who your real friends are and decide what you can and cannot tolerate. If you find you are drawn towards the same type of people who eventually end up hurting you, you'll have to work on what it is about yourself that is attracting these people and allowing them in. Low self-esteem? Lonliness? Something else?

BTW, betrayal is more common than you think, but you shouldn't give up hope.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM

326 posts, read 813,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Because you have no self-esteem or self-worth and the wrong people can pick that vibe up from you and take advantage of you.

Really, Tweetie, you need to step back and either go to therapy or get self help books and work on yourself. Get that self confidence that you need to have a wonderful, happy life.

Sometimes we need to be alone for awhile just to sort ourselves out so that when we're ready we'll meet the best people for us.
I've been alone for a couple of months now, haven't really gone out mostly stayed in the house and school. still didnt meet anyone btw therapy wont work and I dont want to be put on anti-depressants because those REALLY mess you up. (my uncle is on them and tries to commit suicide)

Old 05-10-2011, 02:17 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I've been alone for a couple of months now, haven't really gone out mostly stayed in the house and school. still didnt meet anyone btw therapy wont work and I dont want to be put on anti-depressants because those REALLY mess you up. (my uncle is on them and tries to commit suicide)
I disagree. If there is someone that needs medication they may have to try different kinds for a while till they find the one that works best for them.

In your case, I don't see that as your problem. You have to put yourself out there and be friendly.

People are selfish in today's world. They may just want to use you so you have to be careful.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times
I think your social life needs an enema.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:53 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
It depends... what do you consider being stabbed in the back?

Some people think that if a friend eats the last slice of pizza.

I need context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships