Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It might be #2, very close with #1 being looks, but it will never be #1. Fact.
You are correct. I've been told many times I have a "great personality" by women and none of them have had any interest in me. I have also been called "funny". Kiss of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Looks get her in the door. Personality keeps her in the door.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Do you have any facts to back up your assertion, OP?

I certainly need both good "looks" and good personality before I'll be interested in dating someone. Since most of my adult era dating has been via online dating, I'd have to say that personality and compatibility factors came first, as in many cases I didn't even have a photo to go by before I met the person. However, upon meeting, the physical attraction had to exist as well. So, in my experience, appearance does NOT have to be the primary factor, but can come second.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Sounds to me like the OP has some growing up to do or simply doesn't know what he/she is truly looking for.
No, I do know what I'm looking for. Believe me, I don't like that things are the way that they are, but at least I'm coming to accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Do you have any facts to back up your assertion, OP?

I certainly need both good "looks" and good personality before I'll be interested in dating someone. Since most of my adult era dating has been via online dating, I'd have to say that personality and compatibility factors came first, as in many cases I didn't even have a photo to go by before I met the person. However, upon meeting, the physical attraction had to exist as well. So, in my experience, appearance does NOT have to be the primary factor, but can come second.
You mean actual studies done by respected institutions? No, because no scientist worth his salt would waste time on this, these are just observations that I (and many, many others) have made.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
A_Gazela, even if it's an "I don't care what anyone says, I think he's hot" attitude, it still fits my statement. You will take the person you find incredibly physically attractive but has a less-than-stellar personality over the not-very-attractive guy with a heart of gold.
A Stellar personality is a beautiful thing to have at life in general, but when it comes to dating, what you're looking for is a Compatible personality.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM

But 99.9% of people will take a less compatible personality for a more attractive person.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM

369 posts, read 617,890 times
Stupidficiality wins out which is why we see so many failed marriages/relationships.

Give the plain little guy a chance!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Anyone who says personality is the #1 trait they look for is lying

....and this is news? We all know when someone starts off with he/she has a great personality, they have the face only a mother could love.

Last edited by seeniorita; 05-11-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Anyone who says personality is the #1 trait they look for is lying

....and this is news? We all know when someone starts off with he/she has a great personality, they have the faces only a mother could love.
Tell that to some of the people in this thread!

I'm just the messenger here honestly, like I said I wish it were not the case (maybe then I might actually have some success).

Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Chemistry is no 1. But it does not necessarily means looks however. To me it has to be a package.
Great post as always, Mooseketeer!

I feel the same way. He doesn't have to be conventionally good-looking and approved by the society in general or my circle in particular, but he has to be attractive to ME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships