U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM

86 posts, read 350,739 times

Advertisements

So Ive been casually seeing someone for a month or so( but known him for 3 months total)... But the other day he started asking me what my parents did for a living?

I dont know, but to me it just put me off guard cause it seems like such a personal question and I do not know that guy all too well (or at least we havent reached that level in our friendship/relationship). To me if someone were to ask me that question, my response is.. why would it matter cause I have my own career and I can support myself, what does my parents' career or lifestyle have to do with anything?...

Do you think he is asking because he is thinking more on a serious term and for the long haul or something? Personally with me, I dont ask my friends what their parents do/ nor do I care to ask unless it is brought up in a conversation. If not I would ask my friends after reaching a certain point in our friendship where we know each other pretty well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM

20,684 posts, read 21,765,418 times
It's just small talk. I don't see that saying "Oh, my dad's in sales at XYZ Company and my mom's a homemaker" is divulging any kind of secret private information.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,709,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post
So Ive been casually seeing someone for a month or so( but known him for 3 months total)... But the other day he started asking me what my parents did for a living?

I dont know, but to me it just put me off guard cause it seems like such a personal question and I do not know that guy all too well (or at least we havent reached that level in our friendship/relationship). To me if someone were to ask me that question, my response is.. why would it matter cause I have my own career and I can support myself, what does my parents' career or lifestyle have to do with anything?...

Do you think he is asking because he is thinking more on a serious term and for the long haul or something? Personally with me, I dont ask my friends what their parents do/ nor do I care to ask unless it is brought up in a conversation. If not I would ask my friends after reaching a certain point in our friendship where we know each other pretty well.

i've lost track the number of first dates where either i or my date ask what each others parents do for a living. to me not a very personal question. although i could see how could be especially if say the persons parents were unemployed, might make for an uncomfortable situation.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM

15,732 posts, read 16,783,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post

It's just conversation, don't try to read into it so much.

He may have just been searching for something in common to talk about (for instance if your dad sold cars and he just bought some new model...etc).

Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,331,904 times
I think it's just small talk. He just wants to know more about your life so he can tell you about his. Just getting to know each other is all I'm taking from his question.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM

45,264 posts, read 84,442,989 times
Geez, don't overthink it! He was likely just trying to get to know you better, that's all!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM

7,916 posts, read 16,137,553 times
The question has no importance whatsoever and I agree with those who say that it's just small talk. When people meet they typically ask about each other's background which would likely include their family members. Unless the answer was that "My Mother's on death row for stabbing my Father 27 times with a butcher knife" I wouldn't think too much about it.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,698,596 times
I wouldn't care either way. Unless, of course, my parents were in the mafia. Then I'd be all secretive and defensive about it.

Not that that applies to the OP, though. *wink* *wink*

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM

9,371 posts, read 17,151,354 times
It's a perfectly normal question. You sound paranoid. Have you ever been in a relationship before or is this your first rodeo?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM

7,371 posts, read 12,037,086 times
Maybe it's small talk, but then again he may be class conscious and is trying to determine whether you are of the same class. If his dad were a high powered attorney and your dad changes tires at Walmart, a class conscious guy would decide you aren't suitable for long term. It's not very nice, especially in the US where class isn't supposed to matter, but it happens often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or