Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

Tolerance goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
One big, huge philosophical, but also relationships-related question I have always potentially wondered about, and pondered quite a bit in my own mind, is what can we do as a society to have people truly love each other more, in general? (and not necessarily romantically either). In other words: to have people, actually and genuinely *care*, emotionally, about one another -- the same way you might love your mother or father or brother, for example.

If science could ever manufacture a medical drug that could do this, it could work wonders, even miracles. For instance, I for one would love to see war as we know it become entirely obsolete..no more killing, violence, and no more suffering. (When you truly love someone, naturally you would not want to end his or her life.) IMO, in the 21st century, war should have been obsolete a long time ago already.
Love means accepting the good with the bad. Humanity is just like everything else on this earth. There must be balance for levity. There must be struggle to gain strength. Conflict is only a step in love before acceptance and understanding.

So how would we make it better? By removing fear,hunger, disease, religion, race, money, ego, ignorance, and property lines.

All those item do make the brain signal off love though too. So perhaps its not about fixing the world but just looking for loving places while keeping yourself in order.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:56 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Studies have shown that people treat others badly because they lack empathy and compassion. Some people simply don't have the ability to feel these emotions, and they are usually the sociopaths and psychopaths of society and history. However, most people can and do feel these emotions, but lack the training or education to apply them more consistently.

So, I think if people are educated more in empathy and compassion, the world may improve a little. However, given the large philosophical and political divides that exist, I think that goal may be very difficult to achieve. Considering also that acting on feelings of empathy and compassion may cost both individuals and societies money (through gov't programs, for instance), the debate will quickly turn to costs and values. On an individual level, though, being kind to others often costs nothing, and results in greater well-being for all concerned.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Studies have shown that people treat others badly because they lack empathy and compassion. Some people simply don't have the ability to feel these emotions, and they are usually the sociopaths and psychopaths of society and history.
And we put a lot of these people in charge of governing our society.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
A huge thank-you to everyone who provided their thoughts and feedback...a lot of very excellent and interesting comments!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Some would say such a thing already exists in nature.
I agree with you, 100% -- and ideally, that is exactly where it would come from

Lol...I guess the main reason I used the medical drug analogy was, it could potentially be useful to counteract the kinds of other, much more negative feelings that might lead someone to do things completely antithetical to the idea of love, such as murder, violence, theft, harm, etc. Stuff like that

Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Studies have shown that people treat others badly because they lack empathy and compassion. Some people simply don't have the ability to feel these emotions, and they are usually the sociopaths and psychopaths of society and history. However, most people can and do feel these emotions, but lack the training or education to apply them more consistently.

So, I think if people are educated more in empathy and compassion, the world may improve a little. However, given the large philosophical and political divides that exist, I think that goal may be very difficult to achieve. Considering also that acting on feelings of empathy and compassion may cost both individuals and societies money (through gov't programs, for instance), the debate will quickly turn to costs and values. On an individual level, though, being kind to others often costs nothing, and results in greater well-being for all concerned.
Fascinating...thx for your thoughts...

Old 05-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
Large-scale long-term changes of people's attitudes and morals in relation to others through education (intellectually) and encouragement of good acts (taking action to help others). No drug is necessary. People have to stop being so self-centered and think beyond me me me and there's no way for that to change instantaneously, nor should it. We have to stop seeing the differences and start seeing the similarities in others. And if you're talking world-wide change, there has to be greater sharing of resources. It would of course be of great benefit, in the long-run, if our population declined...there's too many people on this planet for things to be all lovey-dovey; survival comes before love.

Of course, a simple start to begin with before you get anywhere near society-level changes is for individuals to just focus on loving a few other individuals more. i.e. develop a greater number of close relationships with quality people. In our generation though, relationships are devolving and decreasing in number instead. For all our social "networking" we have half as many close friendships now as we did a few decades ago. Not a good sign. Eventually though we need to move beyond the love we have for those close to us and somehow develop a similar love for all others, ignoring our bias towards close friends and family. How exactly that will be accomplished I do not know.

Or maybe we just need aliens to come visit and then everything will change, like in Star Trek: First Contact

Btw,you might be interested in reading the Dalai Lama's short piece called The Ethic of Compassion.
A very intriguiging line of thought there...thx for your comments!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan722 View Post
Honesty. Honesty as in about our opinions, our actions, etc. I used to be dishonest about silly stuff, like where I wanted to eat etc. I'd just say things like "I don't know. I don't care." when really I did. By not communicating my feelings honestly, others do not know who we really are. If others do not know the "real us" then there is no intimacy and no true communication. Therefore no deep love.

By allowing others, appropriate "others", to see who we truly are, we become vulnerable. It is a risk. Some may reject us, and if they do, then they are not the right person. I know this all may sound silly, but I'm going through a lot right now and have been asking myself this very same question.

From now on, my number one rule is to just be honest about everything. If it is a situation where I question whether or not to be honest, then what I am really questioning is whether or not I'm willing to take a risk on MYSELF. Trusting MYSELF. Honesty is not only being true to others but also to ourselves. From there I think we can actually develop the love we seek.
I like your line of reasoning there

Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
As long as this world is about the money and greed, there will be wars, envy and lack of love between people. I don't think people are capable of loving each other with that kind of selfless and caring love. Does anyone really love "thy neighbor as you love yourself"?
I try my very best, to apply this to my actions, every day. It honestly does really makes me feel good and very happy, when I succeed at doing this

Quote:
Just like you, I would love to see the world without hunger, where people just selflessly give to poorer and bring up someone else emotionally. It starts with ourselves though. We cannot change anyone else, all we can do is try to be better as people.
Agreed 100% with what you mentioned above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships