Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,878,280 times

Advertisements

But I don't talk about art history and 16th century opera composers in regular conversations. That would just be irritating to everyone. It's just as tedious and irritating as listening to sports history and batting averages.

Even when I go to art parties people's conversations are relatively light and simple. Most people just gibber and goof around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I wasn't referring to you specifically. I meant you in general, as in the sports fans who look down on the people who think sports are silly and feel the need to attack the OP for being one of them. Notice how one person just made a comment about the OP putting on tights instead of a jersey, as if to say he's less of a man because he's into art instead of sports. I've noticed a lot of sports fans are like this. They see someone who's into art, museums, opera, etc. as being some kind of elitist. But isn't that just as bad? You (meaning you in general) don't like someone mocking your love of sports and yet you mock their interest in art. Seems they're both guilty of judging the other for liking something they don't care for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:08 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,076,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Has anyone ever been in a relationship of any type with those types of weird sports fanatics who space out intently and blurt out comments to the television and rant and rave at the television as if they are "the coach" of their favorite team when they watch pro-football. Or when they watch hours and hours of it as if it is some highly entertaining movie and then they can recite sports history and sports plays and statistics like an encyclopedia to you? These types also like to approach everything in life as if they are "coaching" a pro-football team.
What are your thoughts on such people? I consider them to be boorish rubes but I was wondering if others had similar or dissimilar conclusions.
I'm a passionate sports fan, and I could rattle off a number of stats and information on the sport that I follow... (I'm also an avid reader, visit museums, art galleries and so forth... but I wouldn't want to blow your generalisation up too much )

I enjoy watching and playing sports - attending games with friends. There is a sense of community attached to it as well. I grew up participating in sport, and being part of sporting clubs. Generally, these people are down to earth, quite accepting of others etc....

Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,744,044 times
Quote:
But I don't talk about art history and 16th century opera composers in regular conversations. That would just be irritating to everyone. It's just as tedious and irritating as listening to sports history and batting averages.

Even when I go to art parties people's conversations are relatively light and simple. Most people just gibber and goof around.
It still seems odd you would start this thread to bash sports fans considering that you should already know this about a person before you get into a relationship with them. So you hate sports fans, ok, but why make a public statement about it? Just don't associate with them, problem solved.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,869,027 times
Quote:
Let me guess: you were the king of your high school gym class.
And I bet you were picked on by Jocks and can't get over it, hence the real purpose of this thread.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,091,350 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever been in a relationship of any type with those types of weird sports fanatics who space out intently and blurt out comments to the television and rant and rave at the television as if they are "the coach" of their favorite team when they watch pro-football. Or when they watch hours and hours of it as if it is some highly entertaining movie and then they can recite sports history and sports plays and statistics like an encyclopedia to you? These types also like to approach everything in life as if they are "coaching" a pro-football team.
What are your thoughts on such people? I consider them to be boorish rubes but I was wondering if others had similar or dissimilar conclusions.
I'm one of those guys.

But I'm gonna let your "boorish rube" comment slide, since I'm just considering the source. Sweetheart. I never woulda pegged you for a sports fan anyhoo, as I reckon "The Antiques Roadshow" or one of those "Real Housewives of..." are more your cup of latte.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,869,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
i'm one of those guys.

But i'm gonna let your "boorish rube" comment slide, since i'm just considering the source. Sweetheart. I never woulda pegged you for a sports fan anyhoo, as i reckon "the antiques roadshow" or one of those "real housewives of..." are more your cup of latte.
lol....

Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM

No. I'm not really into that. Cutting edge contemporary art and fashion are the way to go: antiques are mostly boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'm one of those guys.

But I'm gonna let your "boorish rube" comment slide, since I'm just considering the source. Sweetheart. I never woulda pegged you for a sports fan anyhoo, as I reckon "The Antiques Roadshow" or one of those "Real Housewives of..." are more your cup of latte.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:06 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,049,794 times
Quote:
If someone is dominating the conversation about opera or fashion and continued to act weird and fanatical about it then I would not enjoy that person's company either. I think that is plain as day.
Yes, but the issue isn't about dominating conversation. It's about your making a value judgment about someone being passionate while watching a sporting event. I mean, there are only three places where somebody will be watching their team: 1) in the stadium, 2) in the comfort of their living room, or 3) a bar conducive to watching games. In other words, three places where such activity is acceptable. Given that you're likely not going to be in any of these three places, why are you bothered by this?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,543,643 times
The only reason anyone is "looking down" on the OP is because of his attitude and need to start such a stupid thread. I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like sports and I don't go around talking about them all the time. I also don't make rude generalizations about an entire group of people, which seems to be a concept our oh so enligtened OP hasn't grasped yet.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM

I did not say "passion". I said "weird sports fanatics" who get "too involved".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes, but the issue isn't about dominating conversation. It's about your making a value judgment about someone being passionate while watching a sporting event. I mean, there are only three places where somebody will be watching their team: 1) in the stadium, 2) in the comfort of their living room, or 3) a bar conducive to watching games. In other words, three places where such activity is acceptable. Given that you're likely not going to be in any of these three places, why are you bothered by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships