Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
not to burst anybody's bubble here but, there are very few women most men find "stunning" or beautiful. Many are attractive, pretty, cute. Think of the word stunning. Really? Very few. sorry.
Actually, IMO “stunning” is easier on the tongue, even if the woman is not conventionally beautiful. It may refer to her manners, the way she carries herself, talks, dresses, etc. things I personally sum up in the word “aura.” Oh, btw, at least some of these qualities ought to be true so that the compliment doesn't sound fake!;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Thank the gods he didn't say you have a great personality!
Ain’t that the truth?!

Last edited by sierraAZ; 05-16-2011 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,163,891 times
Oh good grief.

He said you were very pretty. That's a compliment.

If he said "Um... yeah... you seem like a nice girl, but..." then, yeah... that's a brush off.

Very pretty for a woman is equal to very handsome for a guy.

I'd rather that men don't constantly refer to me a hot, beautiful, or gorgeous.

It sounds too much like they're overdoing it in some fake attempt to get laid.

Mind you, it's nice to hear that stuff now and then, depending on the context.

But, "very pretty" is a perfectly acceptable way to tell a woman that she looks good.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM

99 posts, read 123,052 times
Everyone... hold on .

Give the woman a break! Geez, EVERY woman is self conscious at some point in SOME way. She was just brave enough to voice it (or type it). It may be petty, but how many of us haven't over thought something when it came to guy/girl they were really into, or really attracted to. Both sexes do this, though women tend to overthink things more... let's lay off a little bit and perhaps just answer her question without the insults .

Anyway...In my opinion... I think that you SHOULD take it as a compliment. Until he proves otherwise, assume that he sincerely thinks you are pretty. Some men don't have a larger, more complex vocabulary. And if it turns out that he was just being nice, and isn't attracted to you then his loss .

Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,746,080 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about -- based on your C-D photos alone, I think you look amazing!!

I agree with what several other posters mentioned here: that maybe he could be just a little shy, or didn't know exactly what / how to say it? But I honestly think he meant it as a genuine compliment, not to put you down or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
So I figure, maybe if I don't adore him, then I won't be phased by his not seeing me as beautiful, gorgeous, or stunning (which are words men use to describe women to whom they're actually attracted). So I presume this guy isn't physically attracted to me due to the wording in "very pretty".

I like to think I'm a reasonable person so I know this must seem very silly, but it's been my observation that a man does not call his girlfriend or wife "very pretty"; they use "beautiful" and "gorgeous" or "stunning," instead of "pretty". These are words men use to describe women they think are generally attractive, but are not specially attracted to them. AKA, the nice way to say "eh you're alright, but not my type."

Would I be correct in believing this man is just not that into me, and to just blow him off and stay just friends?

AddEdit: This thread is related.

The Difference Between "Cute" and "Hot/ Sexy" and "Pretty"

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,042,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
I agree with what several other posters mentioned here: that maybe he could be just a little shy, or didn't know exactly what / how to say it? But I honestly think he meant it as a genuine compliment, not to put you down or anything like that.
We can agree on something, Knight! Even though I do enjoy compliments like the next person, I also know the suavest talkers are not the best relationship material... As always, I'm talking about knowledge, not practice!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
We can agree on something, Knight! Even though I do enjoy compliments like the next person, I also know the suavest talkers are not the best relationship material... As always, I'm talking about knowledge, not practice!
Lol, you might be surprised there Sierra...I've actually agreed with quite a few of your C-D posts, in the past Not by any means all mind you, but I'll just say there have been quite a few more than one

Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,003,643 times
This thread kind of illustrates why I have better luck with men than "very pretty" women.

You agonize over every little word like this. Guys can feel when you are dissecting every comment they make. It makes them uncomfortable. Also, it indicates a lack of confidence. You could be beautiful, stunning and smokin hot, but if you are lacking in self-esteem, it's going to hurt your love life.

I am very ordinary-looking and I know it. BUT, I give off a very confident, fun-loving vibe. I don't seek constant validation from men.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,034 times
Default Hate being called "very pretty" by a man I adore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
So I figure, maybe if I don't adore him, then I won't be phased by his not seeing me as beautiful, gorgeous, or stunning (which are words men use to describe women to whom they're actually attracted). So I presume this guy isn't physically attracted to me due to the wording in "very pretty".

I like to think I'm a reasonable person so I know this must seem very silly, but it's been my observation that a man does not call his girlfriend or wife "very pretty"; they use "beautiful" and "gorgeous" or "stunning," instead of "pretty". These are words men use to describe women they think are generally attractive, but are not specially attracted to them. AKA, the nice way to say "eh you're alright, but not my type."

Would I be correct in believing this man is just not that into me, and to just blow him off and stay just friends?

AddEdit: This thread is related.

The Difference Between "Cute" and "Hot/ Sexy" and "Pretty"

Ok, you asked the question. My answer would be a man calls his significant other 'beautiful', 'gorgeous', or 'stunning' when she actually is. Looking at your picture in your profile, if that is you, I couldn't call you beautiful, but I could say you're pretty and not be stretching the truth. Would you feel better if your guy lied to you?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Ok, you asked the question. My answer would be a man calls his significant other 'beautiful', 'gorgeous', or 'stunning' when she actually is. Looking at your picture in your profile, if that is you, I couldn't call you beautiful, but I could say you're pretty and not be stretching the truth. Would you feel better if your guy lied to you?
Ah...but beauty, is in the eye of the beholder though, now isn't it?

Photo #8, from the OP's C-D album...in my own humble opinion, she is quite clearly beautiful, and certainly stunning

Just my own $0.02 though...

Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,489,704 times
I don't understand the OP's issue with the "very pretty".

"Very pretty" is a respectful compliment; someone who wants to provide a compliment without implying greater interest
"Wow, you look hot" is much more of a sexual connotation
"You're beautiful" or "you're gorgeous" is much more intimate and for people who know you very well; or for someone is simply extraordinarily attractive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships