Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think this whole situation was weird to begin with. You started off by looking her up on a site to match Colombian women with foreign guys? Hmmm... I can't say that really impresses me with either one of you. I think it's one thing to meet someone by chance who happens to be from another country, fall in love and then make it work, but I think this sounds a little odd. If you're really so attractive and desirable, why are you shopping on the internet for a foreign bride? Also, why is the country she's from such a deciding factor? Could you not find a woman with the qualities you want in the town you live in? Is country of origin or race really the biggest ticket item on your list? I guess I find it as distasteful to look for someone that way ("young Russian bride" or "subservient Chinese woman") as I do for her to be looking for an American man. As much as others are saying she was too interested in the money aspect of this (and I agree), it seems like you were a little too drawn by the "hot foreign girl" aspect of it. Food for thought.

I also read a lot of defending on your part--both of her actions and especially of yours. Really, I don't think this relationship had a chance from the start. I also find it a bit odd that you met a woman online, did a week together and then called it a LTR? You barely even knew her. I'd stick to dating people closer to home in the future, for what it's worth.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
You were played, big time. Don't even try to pretend that it is a different culture, or whatever...my friend is from Chile, she uses men like paper cups. She is a hottie, and college educated, and has about 6-8 men "friends" at any given time, I don't even know how she keeps track of them...she is excellent at playing "cat and mouse" and making men actually feel guilt if they don't give her money. Be grateful you got away with the money you spent...it could have been much worse, and gone on for far longer. Stay away from South American women, they see American men as paychecks. Don't do online "dating" to hook up...that is a sure way to meet a player.

I think that they all have Borderline Personality Disorders down there...they are psycho, and users, it is a way of life. Be glad you got away...

Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdistancelover View Post
I know that nobody can really answer this question but me; nevertheless, I am open to hearing both male and female perspectives. Sorry for the long post.
(snip, for space considerations)

Okay, you say you're in great shape and you may well be. But honestly? If someone had to come to a completely different continent to find even a temporary girlfriend, and I were that girlfriend, I would absolutely assume the man was hard up for companionship.

I would fully expect him to expect me to sc r *w him (which it sounds like you two did) and I would fully expect him to understand that in exchange, I'd want something he could give me: American cash.

I personally wouldn't do this. But what's so shocking? You got a little exotic South American sex. She got a little money. Did you really expect this to be The One, or something?

Look a little closer to home for dates.

ETA: Oh, I see you didn't have sex. The above definitely still holds though -- she felt you were an American who needed companionship on a trip, and she felt she was worth a few dollars. And no, that's not harsh. You only met her 10 days before your trip and that "meeting" was online? Honey, come on.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 36,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Honestly, I think this whole situation was weird to begin with. You started off by looking her up on a site to match Colombian women with foreign guys? Hmmm... I can't say that really impresses me with either one of you. I think it's one thing to meet someone by chance who happens to be from another country, fall in love and then make it work, but I think this sounds a little odd.

1) If you're really so attractive and desirable, why are you shopping on the internet for a foreign bride?

2) Also, why is the country she's from such a deciding factor? Could you not find a woman with the qualities you want in the town you live in?

Is country of origin or race really the biggest ticket item on your list?

3) I guess I find it as distasteful to look for someone that way ("young Russian bride" or "subservient Chinese woman") as I do for her to be looking for an American man. As much as others are saying she was too interested in the money aspect of this (and I agree), it seems like you were a little too drawn by the "hot foreign girl" aspect of it. Food for thought.

Are you male or female?

1) Go right ahead and take a look at the photo I posted of the TWO of US under the "Photo Album" in my profile (or see below). You tell me, if I am a troll who "needs" to go to So. America to find an attractive lady. The fact is I date girls like this (physically speaking) all the time in the U.S.

[NOTE: I will delete this photo very soon as I am a private person]

2) I PLANNED a vacation to Cartagena, Colombia, the "SAFEST" BIG city in all of So. America. Also, one of the COLONIAL GEMS of the entire continent. I see NOTHING wrong with taking the opportunity to meet someone while there (for whatever reason). And YES, I like LATIN women of all kinds (black, white, mixed). I have dated ALL races/ethnicties. Some guys like blondes, some like brunettes.

3) My mother is/was a modern working professional as is my sister. I have NO problem with strong, educated women. That is my PREFERNCE. It's a MISNOMER to assume that women in developing countries are subservient. Anyone who knows latin women knows that is a TOTAL lie.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM

577 posts, read 1,759,098 times
You did the right thing ..as I said in my previous post .. disrespectful behavior= red flag. No pictures necessary.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You were played, big time. Don't even try to pretend that it is a different culture, or whatever...my friend is from Chile, she uses men like paper cups. She is a hottie, and college educated, and has about 6-8 men "friends" at any given time, I don't even know how she keeps track of them...she is excellent at playing "cat and mouse" and making men actually feel guilt if they don't give her money. Be grateful you got away with the money you spent...it could have been much worse, and gone on for far longer. Stay away from South American women, they see American men as paychecks. Don't do online "dating" to hook up...that is a sure way to meet a player.

I think that they all have Borderline Personality Disorders down there...they are psycho, and users, it is a way of life. Be glad you got away...
This is the most ridiculous post I've ever read on here. Really.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
Sorry the OP is a bit naive. The main reason to start a LD relationship (one that's LD from the beginning), is for sex or money.

Her being college-educated and sweet doesn't mean anything. The most conniving and 2-faced women I ever met were that type (that's how they deceive people). She's a 6.5/10 in the looks department, not hot but attractive enough to get guys over there.

I'll bet she won't pick up your call and not return your call for 6-9 hrs and then have an excuse like she was out with her family all day. She'll say she was out w/ her family instead of friends because it makes her seem more family-oriented and, hence, innocent.

PS: no offense but you're a bit cheap too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships