Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Easy; males are responsible for approaching and proving their worth to the women, so most women just lean back and pick who they feel like anyway. There aren't any real demand on women to be social in the initial stages...
^^^^
Pretty much what I was trying to say...SwedishViking said it better though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I think socially awkward whether male or female is still not going to get any action or a social life.

Not until they get out there, bite the bullet and try to be social will they be successful.
From this statement I can't help but think that you believe that all socially awkward people are introverts but there are a lot extroverts that are socially awkward to.

On the flip side of that there are introverted people that have excellent social skills but just don't like being around people all the time.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
From this statement I can't help but think that you believe that all socially awkward people are introverts but there are a lot extroverts that are socially awkward to.

On the flip side of that there are introverted people that have excellent social skills but just don't like being around people all the time.
Totally agree. Lots of misconceptions out there about what types of people have the ability to be socially awkward. ANYONE can be socially awkward, not just introverts or extroverts or whatnot.

I agree with Knight and Swedish Viking on the question posed in the thread. Women don't need to be particularly outgoing to be successful. Men generally do.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:14 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
Men are also very so much more accepting... if a woman makes a social misstep chances are the guy will look it over out of hornyness, while if the guys tongue slips and he says something stupid it's pretty hard to save the situation...

Old 11-07-2015, 11:08 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Is there some class the socially awkward can take to become less socially awkward?

The reason I ask is because my mom is a prime example of social awkwardness. Her biggest thing is not knowing how to read body language. If she is talking (which is always) and the person on the receiving end is yawning, looking away, trying to converse with others, generally ignoring her and appearing disinterested, she just keeps on goin. When she is finally out of breath, she'll stop. Later on, she'll have to gall to talk about the person's rudeness behind their back, particularly that it was so rude that they never asked how she was. But she not only is most of the time talking about herself, but she literally does not give you any wiggle room to interject.

She has been single for over 20 years...not one date. I'd like her to meet someone and get a life (she lives with my grandma and hasn't worked in 15 years), but her chances are slim. If a man is kind to her and says hello, she thinks it is because he wants her bod. No joke.

I think she'd do great with a socially awkward guy. But I'd appreciate any guy that could tolerate her.
Take an acting class. Socially proficient and adept people are, in my opinion, just good actors. Basically, they are politicians; they excel at using impression management to craft their personas to elicit the desired response from their target audience.

Of course there is a fair amount of superficiality and even deceit involved when doing that, but it's highly effective.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,855 times
Quote:
I was reading a comment in another thread and it got me thinking.

If you were to take a geeky, socially awkward male and an equally geeky, socially awkward female, the socially awkward female would have a better social life and a better love life.

Why do you think this is
Women are valued higher socially than men. If the woman is attractive, even more so.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:57 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Quote:

If you were to take a geeky, socially awkward male and an equally geeky, socially awkward female, the socially awkward female would have a better social life and a better love life.
You'd get an awesome collection of video games, Star Wars memorabilia and 4 cats.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:59 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
I met a socially awkward woman once and she was very weird. Nice girl but weird is a turnoff.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:41 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Usually I see one awkward person with a take charge or social butterfly.

Usually they compliment each other.

He/she is quiet yet stable

The other is social but a tad radical which needs to be brought down a notch by the quiet man/woman.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
People say I'm awkward....in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships