Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a stupid question but how do you keep in touch with people?

This isn't a problem when uni is in session because I see people every other day or so. It wasn't a problem in high school because obviously all of my friends lived nearby so we could hang out. But in college, well, it's not so easy because a lot of people I know live far away.

Yeah there's Facebook and whatnot but how often do you keep in touch with folks? I don't wanna be constantly bombarding people asking how they're doing but I also don't want to be distant, I guess I don't want folks to forget about me :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Hmmm...if I have posted to someone's FB wall/called/e-mailed/whatever a few times and not gotten a response, or only maybe got one response (this is very general, mind you), I'll probably cool off a little; it's not a big deal, not everyone likes to constantly chat. I guess I'm just still not that sure what the FB "rules" are (nor am I overly worried about learning) so I never get offended by anything on FB, really. It is just not such a big deal.

I will however remind the ones I really love that I do love them. But again, I'll sort of pace myself to the other person. My sister wants to FB back and forth every single day. My best friend out here in my town only checks in every week or so and we call maybe every week or two. My best east coast friend posts multiple times a day but I'll only answer every so often...honestly, how can people keep up with their "Walls"? Checking 100 times a day? Anyway...if I don't notice every post from all of my FB friends, they really don't seem to be offended so...must be not really a big deal from their end either. I wouldn't worry too much about it, IOW.

I do have some friends who would text, FB or whatever literally all day, and I answer only when I can...I don't try to match their pace. They know I love them but I have a life to lead!

Last edited by JerZ; 05-16-2011 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 08:06 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Who are you trying to stay in touch with? Any friends at school you can touch base with there. Any friends that you have back at home - what's wrong with the telephone?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
That's true JerZ, I've got a great friend who I always see when he's in town but outside of that it's only the occasional facebook post. We're still tight though.

Chessie, friends from college who live far from me. My university is like 30 minutes from both my mom's and dad's :P

Truthfully I might be able to see a few of 'em before classes begin in late August. I definitely could if I had a car :|

Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM

149 posts, read 270,317 times
I generally keep in touch with my friends and family by texting/calling or visiting. We are all spread out so we try to visit each other when possible.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
Drop them a line saying hey how are you, here's my cell phone, keep in touch.

Plan a getaway in the middle of the summer for you and your friends to get together for a couple of days, hiking, kayaking, camping, beaching, whatever, just to spend time together. Maybe your parents will let you use their car to visit.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
The above might work pretty well, actually.

Generally, I keep in touch without "actively" doing so. Facebook and texting have made things a bit easier- when my friends go home for the summer or whatever I usually drop them a line every other week or two, since a lot of them are rather busy.

So far, it works- usually I'll initiate conversation one week and then the next time I chat with them over whatever medium, they contact me.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Telephone and e-mail, mostly. My friends & family live in the same city so we have periodic outings where we all click up for a picnic, play football or take in Jacksonville

Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Letters ( the hand-written kind, nothing like getting a real letter IMO), phone calls and emails. I hate emails, but use it as it is convenient . People seem to have lost the art of proper correspondence and I can't remember the last time I got a decent email , rather a few rushed lines.

I hardly ever use my cell phone ( only when absolutely necessary-ie: hardly ever) so use my landline for most of my calls.

As far as I am concerned , we have never had so many choices of communication modes and yet we seem to have become the least sociable of all generations. Social network websites seem to me more about "me, me, me" and a form of public self agrandisement as well as the most inane form of "information" exchange ( if you can call all the drivel information at all) and I refuse to be part of this culture of one liner, sound-bite rubbish heap which is Facebook and Twitter for example.

To me communication should be between two people not the whole world and his dog and should be personal and meaningful.

I don't need to be in constant communication with the world and to be contacted 24/7/ My cell is pretty much always switched off and I would never dream of taking it on vacation ( or my laptop for that matter) or leaving it on in the streets, on the train, in museums , theatres, etc.. as people seem to. How did we manage to function until the 90s as a society without all those gadgets ?!? Mmmmmmmm,not sure it has been an improvement in any way shape, or form.

I find it astonishing how some people are so needy and desperate that even switching it on for a couple of hours becomes an ordeal for them. The idea that their "friends" could possibly not be wanting to speak to them for a while, an unbearable thought too horrendous to contemplate...

Email is very useful especially with distance being an issue but I would love to get some real proper letters ( in email form if it has to be), of substance and interest rather than all those hastily written things people send off. Style over sustance is the order of the day even when human contact is concerned nowadays. I find it sad and deplorable that everything is so surface.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Letters ( the hand-written kind, nothing like getting a real letter IMO), phone calls and emails. I hate emails, but use it as it is convenient . People seem to have lost the art of proper correspondence and I can't remember the last time I got a decent email , rather a few rushed lines.

I hardly ever use my cell phone ( only when absolutely necessary-ie: hardly ever) so use my landline for most of my calls.

As far as I am concerned , we have never had so many choices of communication modes and yet we seem to have become the least sociable of all generations. Social network websites seem to me more about "me, me, me" and a form of public self agrandisement as well as the most inane form of "information" exchange ( if you can call all the drivel information at all) and I refuse to be part of this culture of one liner, sound-bite rubbish heap which is Facebook and Twitter for example.

To me communication should be between two people not the whole world and his dog and should be personal and meaningful.

I don't need to be in constant communication with the world and to be contacted 24/7/ My cell is pretty much always switched off and I would never dream of taking it on vacation ( or my laptop for that matter) or leaving it on in the streets, on the train, in museums , theatres, etc.. as people seem to. How did we manage to function until the 90s as a society without all those gadgets ?!? Mmmmmmmm,not sure it has been an improvement in any way shape, or form.

I find it astonishing how some people are so needy and desperate that even switching it on for a couple of hours becomes an ordeal for them. The idea that their "friends" could possibly not be wanting to speak to them for a while, an unbearable thought too horrendous to contemplate...

Email is very useful especially with distance being an issue but I would love to get some real proper letters ( in email form if it has to be), of substance and interest rather than all those hastily written things people send off. Style over sustance is the order of the day even when human contact is concerned nowadays. I find it sad and deplorable that everything is so surface.
Gosh I so agree. Isn't a letter just wonderful to get in the mail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships