Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Forgive me but this post confuses me no end.
Really? Are you not familiar with the mainland office culture at all? Let me tell you - it has nothing to do with being an owner of your own business. Most of us are "at will" employees who can be kicked out at any time and for any reason. Looking for a job is never fun, but even less so for quite a few years now. No piece of as@ is worth that, so people try to be careful if they can't refrain from getting into such entanglements in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Really? Are you not familiar with the mainland office culture at all? Let me tell you - it has nothing to do with being an owner of your own business. Most of us are "at will" employees who can be kicked out at any time and for any reason. Looking for a job is never fun, but even less so for quite a few years now. No piece of as@ is worth that, so people try to be careful if they can't refrain from getting into such entanglements in the first place.
I remain confused. When in this thread did I ever bring up my current situation as an employer which led you to post something which seems somehow rather derogatory? I worked corporate mainland for 17 years and worked likewise corporate in the VI for 10 years before venturing into something a little different. I'm very familiar with the "at will" issue and well know that looking for a job in this current climate is "no fun" but what does this have to do with what I've said on this thread which seems to have apparently upset you so much?

I really am confused about the apparent attack. Based on previous posts both on this forum and others, the OP seems to have some problems where societal relationships are concerned and this whole thread is about his dilemma about whether or not to hug a fellow employee. That's what I addressed but from where are you coming?

Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I remain confused. When in this thread did I ever bring up my current situation as an employer which led you to post something which seems somehow rather derogatory?
If anybody else sees anything derogatory in my post, please point it to me!

Quote:
I worked corporate mainland for 17 years and worked likewise corporate in the VI for 10 years before venturing into something a little different. I'm very familiar with the "at will" issue and well know that looking for a job in this current climate is "no fun" but what does this have to do with what I've said on this thread which seems to have apparently upset you so much?

I really am confused about the apparent attack. Based on previous posts both on this forum and others, the OP seems to have some problems where societal relationships are concerned and this whole thread is about his dilemma about whether or not to hug a fellow employee. That's what I addressed but from where are you coming?
Attack?! That's getting more interesting by the minute! And you called that guy paranoid! That's why I commented at first. There's nothing paranoid about covering your rear end and trying to stay away from unnecessary trouble.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:54 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,239 times
I usually don't reply to your posts directly STT, but what you wrote below got me thinking.

Quote:
She has simply touched his shoulder a couple of times and his estimation that she looked at him "coyly" is his own interpretation of a look which was more than likely simply a friendly smile.
Quote:
When he says, "if I were to hug this girl, I'd probably do it without any witnesses, in case a jealous backstabber decides to approach the hugged girl and conspires against me in a complaint to HR. Therefore if I do make any kind of move, I'd better be 100% sure that the recipient of the hug welcomes it and no one else sees it. In that sense, it's probably best to test the waters and see whether she's really as huggable as she looks and wants it", is to me, rather creepy.
How is that when a woman touches a man at work, it's okay and deemed a friendly gesture, but if the same man thinks of ways to get closer to her, it's suddenly creepy? It's as if women can get away with anything, but the moment a man reciprocates, he's labeled a predator, stalker, creep, you name it.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
How is that when a woman touches a man at work, it's okay and deemed a friendly gesture, but if the same man thinks of ways to get closer to her, it's suddenly creepy? It's as if women can get away with anything, but the moment a man reciprocates, he's labeled a predator, stalker, creep, you name it.
There is a double standard there, Value. It's not a conspiracy against the male race or anything; it's just the way it is. Women can get away with more touchy behavior than men before it enters the creepy zone. My guess is that this woman has given you enough indicators for you to proceed though. I agree with the poster who said that when a woman touches you, she's usually testing the waters.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,796 times
Quote:
What would you do in my shoes?
Just give her a big tasty banana like you did to Mary. Always the perfect icebreaker.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Just give her a big tasty banana like you did to Mary. Always the perfect icebreaker.
Hmmm, when I gave Mary the banana, she said she'd eat it later. She's also married. Not sure giving another colleague a banana is such a good idea. I'm open for other suggestions though

Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, when I gave Mary the banana, she said she'd eat it later. She's also married. Not sure giving another colleague a banana is such a good idea. I'm open for other suggestions though
The same banana given to too many around the office... not a good idea!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:

What would you do in my shoes?
Nothing...

[smoking is a negative characteristic for me]

Old 05-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
The same banana given to too many around the office... not a good idea!
Poor banana. I don't think it can stand up to so much taste testing.

However! I just thought of an idea. I can place a bowl of bananas on the break room table with a note that says "help yourself!". It would be interesting to see how many women will wrap their luscious lips around the fruit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships