Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There is no such thing as a league system.
I agree. League is just an excuse people use to justify their choice to not be with someone else. ie. "Sorry I'm outta your league". It's can also be used as a form of manipulation such as when one person tries to convince another person they can't date certain types because their "out of their league". It's all just bs. There are no leagues, just different types of people who are or aren't attracted to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
This seems to only apply to looks.

People have a problem with an ugly person hitting on an attractive person. But, there's nothing wrong with a dumb person hittong on a smart person.

Why's that the case?

And do leagues cancel out? If you're ugly but very smart then are you in the same overall league as an attractive bimbo?
It does not apply to looks. It applies to money, solely.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know how things stand up above everybody else... We're talking about us commoners on planet Earth.
I just fail to see the point in encouraging these kinds of generalizations or the people who blame this kind of stuff for why they can't get a woman or man

Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 PM

181 posts, read 305,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

If someone is less attractive but highly intelligent they may find someone who's on the same intellectual level as they are. Why do you think someone who's highly intelligent should or would necessarily choose looks over intellect?
Some people are not satisfied with a piece. They want the whole pie.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
Quote:

People have a problem with an ugly person hitting on an attractive person. But, there's nothing wrong with a dumb person hittong on a smart person.

Why's that the case?

And do leagues cancel out? If you're ugly but very smart then are you in the same overall league as an attractive bimbo?
If William Hung for example had an I.Q of 150, I still don't think most women would be interested in dating him.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Frankly I don't think anyone that is highly intelligent is going to bother with someone who isn't their equal.

I'm not talking about the men who pick out trophy wives like Donald Trump.

If someone is less attractive but highly intelligent they may find someone who's on the same intellectual level as they are. Why do you think someone who's highly intelligent should or would necessarily choose looks over intellect?
I didn't know Donald Trump was a trophy wife....and why would any man want to marry him?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:03 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
I didn't know Donald Trump was a trophy wife....and why would any man want to marry him?
There are plenty of Homosexual men who are golddiggers that are looking for a rich Homosexual sugar daddy to financially take care of them. My neighbor is a 59 year old gay lawyer who has a 27 year old boyfriend.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Quote:

Why's that the case?

I think it only applies to looks for women and social status for men.(money, leadership, etc)

The thing is though; there isn't much of a point going down lower women leagus as a man, since women seem to have just as "high" standards regardless of their own league...not saying there aren't men overestimating themselves

The difference is that when a man overestimates himself he'll come off as confident, and automaticly jump up a league in womens eyes simply by believing it.

This doesn't work the same way for women, because men are more inclined to focus on the looks regardless of confidence.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
I can only speak for myself, but I've yet to find a dumbarse sexy. I don't care how symmetrical his features are and how muscular his body is. Stupidity is a turn-off.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:35 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,414 times
No matter how compatible two people are if they dont meet there will be no romance. A highly educated person is likely to go to work with other highly educated people, will probably live in a place allowed by the income that education enabled among other people who also have a similar income and quite often their incomes were enabled by a collage education. From where they live and work and play they meet the people who are candidates for a relationship. In this way we all have a league we bat in and that defines the pool of our potential partners. When the issue of proximity is short circuited romance often does blossom. Consider Liz Taylor and Larry Fortinsky, without going to rehab where both meet someone outside of their normal socio-economic status love never happens. We all know someone who is dating or married to someone "out of their league" and they all have one thing in common, two people who would not ordinarily meet in circumstances that would allow them to know one another did. Nature took care of the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships