Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times

Advertisements

I never understood why a woman in our culture had to give up her name when she married - I always found that to be so archaic.

Interestingly enough most countries don't follow this practice. In Latin America a woman keeps her maiden name and adds the married name to her own. And same holds true in manu other cultures. I also wonder where this all started.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 08-03-2007 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
What does everyone think about the way so many women elect to keep their own last name upon marriage? Any thoughts on this?
Sign of the times .

Taking the husband's name is a fairly recent (and Christian) tradition......it's fading fast.....wave "bye-bye" to it .

Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,125,183 times
Most countries seems to have their own customs and practices:

Family name - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,480 times
I ask about this in part, because the woman I plan to marry next year does not plan to take my last name. She was married before and did not take the other mans name either. Im OK with the idea of this but it seems that this could all be kind of confusing to people who are not very close to us. Also I wonder if this could be more of a demographic thing. She is from the north while I am from the south. Still, we get along really well.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:26 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Dennis - I grew up in Texas all my life and I didn't get my name changed.

You know, why don't you talk to your fiance about this? Before we got married, my husband and I had a talk about it and I pretty much told him I didn't care what others thought nor did I care if people called me by his last name. I just didn't want to change it b'c that's the way it's done. He was just like, "Ok, whatever." Sure it can be confusing and I have people call me by my husband's last name all the time. I don't feel like it's necessary to correct them and announce to the world "Hey, use my maiden name damn it!" I just go with the flow. My in-laws refer to me by my husband's last name and I'm ok with it. I just don't really care as long as it's ok between me and hubby. My suggestion is talk to your fiance. If you two are open about this now then who care what everybody else thinks. good luck!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
I guess one thing Im trying to realize, is the true absolute orgin of the name change. Does it have some sort of Biblical beginning? Is it true as has been pointed out to me by someone that it all goes back to some sort of "ownership" of the woman by the man she marries? Iam respectful of all views concerning this matter, but I am also quite curious about how the whole thing began.
No ownership involved, it's about two people starting a new life together.
Heres a site that explains it Why Women Change Last Names Upon Marriage

To each their own, I personally feel honered my wife took my name, I feel it shows a strong bond between two people.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:36 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,480 times
I really appreciate the link you provided Roaddog. It was very interesting I thought. I plan to share it with my bride-to-be when we get back on this subject again. As for me, I can live with her decison either way.But it does seem to me that all women everywhere should make this important consideration for the right reasons. And thats why I am trying to solicit other men and womens views on this matter. I am pretty new to this forum and I do appreciate everyones input thus far. I hope to hear from all of you even more. Thanks to you all!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I don't think much of it. I took my husband's last name because I liked the idea of sharing the same name. But I don't really think negatively or positively about a woman that keeps her maiden name. It's a personal decision and I don't think it reflects on the woman's feelings for her husband at all.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
I really appreciate the link you provided Roaddog. It was very interesting I thought. I plan to share it with my bride-to-be when we get back on this subject again. As for me, I can live with her decison either way.But it does seem to me that all women everywhere should make this important consideration for the right reasons. And thats why I am trying to solicit other men and womens views on this matter. I am pretty new to this forum and I do appreciate everyones input thus far. I hope to hear from all of you even more. Thanks to you all!
Are you mainly concerned with what other men will think of YOU?

My husband kind of assumed I would keep my name, so it was a no-brainer for us. We did not have to revisit it and discuss it or decide anything - it was just like "do you want to change your name?" "not really....." "okay then.".

Ha Ha ! It really did go along those lines .

He's a very secure person, so he feels like if someone has an issue with it, that's THEIR issue and it rolls right off of him. From time to time a male co-worker might be like "whaaat? she didn't change her name?" and my husband uses it as an opportunity to tell them that he married a strong independent woman and he likes that she didn't feel it necessary to change her name (he's proud of the fact).

I'd say 95% of people we encounter are fine with it - it doesn't confuse or rock their world in any way. Most of the other 5% is made up of family members on his side, who frankly, have issues beyond just my last name .

There is a symbolism all it's own to your wife keeping her own name, it says a lot about who you are as a couple - try it, I bet you'll like it .

Old 08-05-2007, 01:40 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
Quote:
I ask about this in part, because the woman I plan to marry next year does not plan to take my last name. She was married before and did not take the other mans name either. Im OK with the idea of this but it seems that this could all be kind of confusing to people who are not very close to us. Also I wonder if this could be more of a demographic thing. She is from the north while I am from the south. Still, we get along really well.
In which case, Dennis, when you introduce your wife....."I would like to introduce you to my wife, Jane Doe (maiden name)." This eliminates the confusion. And if asked, just tell people that your wife has chosen to hold on to her maiden name. That's it - no big deal. If anyone presses you for a reason - just say times have changed. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships