Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 04:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That's the way it is in New York. I have a relative in New York that got married and had kids in his 40s.
Thats true. Im a new yorker myself and im in my late 20s still single wity no kids. Im College and still trying to improve my economic situation and career outlook before I settle down and start a family. I grew up in the bronx and I witnessed many teen pregnancies, women who dont whos the babies father, broken famlies, single mother homes, high rate of men paying child support. Also women with 3 to 4 kids from multi fathers. At the end System has to step in and raise your child. I was appualed at what I saw growing up and still even to this day as a grown man. I do wanna have kids but im not ready yet and at no means to take care of one becauses finances and urban enviornment. Its to expensive to raise kids in nyc. Plus I dont wanna be a father here in nyc and end up paying child support after a breeak up or divorce messy divvorce. Ive seen to many single mothers here in nyc and I smh. I need the money or two change my enviornment, move out of nyc and settle down with a west coast, southern or midwest women. At the moment im trying to help raise my sisters two kids because tyey dont have a male figure in thier lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
I grew up in Connecticut and Massachusetts and now live in New Mexico. I notice regional differences when it comes to marriage. A lot of people from New Mexico are married or engaged during college. But it's rare for someone in New England to be married or engaged that young. There was only one couple at my high school that got engaged, and let's just say it didn't end well. Needless to say, they never got married and they hate each other. Some people from my high school got married or engaged after high school, but it's rare compared to New Mexico.

I'm never getting married. But even if I wanted to get married, it would feel weird being married or engaged this young.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:02 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Ok I know I messed up in my last post about entitlement attitude parents, but this time it really is relationship related. As the title says, do most guys in their 20s want kids? Even if I'm young, I'm actually certain I don't want kids. I just don't have the maternal instinct. I am by no means a childhater, but I don't want the 24/7 responsibility. Plus I don't have patience for kids under age 5. So in the next few years, will I have trouble finding a Christian man who doesn't want kids?
I'm 21 and would love to have kids. Not right now though.

First off, Im not financially ready. Second of all, I think 21 is too young to have kids (though some 21 year olds do, I have a coworker who is 21 and his wife is due any day), third ofall I'd rather be out partying, or id be trying to meet girls if I wasn't in a relationship

The earliest I'd like to have kids is 26. I think by then I will have gotten a lot of the partying out of my system, and I will be financially stable enough to support a family

Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
IN NYC people guys have have children young all the time but the reason why is because of poor education and also poor upbringing, poverty, religion, and also poor choices in quality of what lovers choose.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
IN NYC people guys have have children young all the time but the reason why is because of poor education and also poor upbringing, poverty, religion, and also poor choices in quality of what lovers choose.
I won't dispute that. In a poor neighborhood where a lot of people don't finish high school, of course a lot of people have kids young. But that's the way it is in any poor area where a lot of people don't finish high school.

However, if we're talking a rich neighborhood of NYC or a rich suburb, people tend to wait longer before having kids.

NYC is a city of extremes. There are poor, uneducated areas and rich, educated areas. I mean, you have everything from Co-op City to the Upper East Side.

Ironic how the people that are the least capable of affording kids have more kids and at a younger age, but the people that are most capable of affording kids have fewer kids and at an older age.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I won't dispute that. In a poor neighborhood where a lot of people don't finish high school, of course a lot of people have kids young. But that's the way it is in any poor area where a lot of people don't finish high school.

However, if we're talking a rich neighborhood of NYC or a rich suburb, people tend to wait longer before having kids.

NYC is a city of extremes. There are poor, uneducated areas and rich, educated areas. I mean, you have everything from Co-op City to the Upper East Side.

Ironic how the people that are the least capable of affording kids have more kids and at a younger age, but the people that are most capable of affording kids have fewer kids and at an older age.
I know! Why don't they realize that having many kids is gonna keep them in poverty. Jeez! I realize that rapes happen and what not, but for the ones that actually plan on getting preggo while they can't afford them, why don't they realize that that's not best for the child? I mean really.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:53 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
I know! Why don't they realize that having many kids is gonna keep them in poverty. Jeez! I realize that rapes happen and what not, but for the ones that actually plan on getting preggo while they can't afford them, why don't they realize that that's not best for the child? I mean really.
Re: the bolded...

Please explain how rape is relevant to this discussion.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:58 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Re: the bolded...

Please explain how rape is relevant to this discussion.
The reason I bring them up because in poorer neighborhoods, rapes are more likely to happen. And I was just preparing myself in case some people brought up the fact that rapes happen in poor neighborhoods and would make the excuse that not all pregnancies and births in poorer neighborhoods are a result in choice. Some happen because of rape.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
The reason I bring them up because in poorer neighborhoods, rapes are more likely to happen. And I was just preparing myself in case some people brought up the fact that rapes happen in poor neighborhoods and would make the excuse that not all pregnancies and births in poorer neighborhoods are a result in choice. Some happen because of rape.

What percentage of pregnancies actually result from rape in low socioeconomic groups and what percentage of that number actually carry to full term? I believe that this has no bearing on the discussion of birth rates by age and socioeconomic class.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
What percentage of pregnancies actually result from rape in low socioeconomic groups and what percentage of that number actually carry to full term? I believe that this has no bearing on the discussion of birth rates by age and socioeconomic class.
Why do you feel the need to challenge what she says? All she was saying is rapes are more likely to occur in poor neighborhoods, but there are also poor people that try to get pregnant and she doesn't understand why they would do that when they can't afford a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships