Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Personally I think it's because the optimists are oblivious, and don't actually care about your situation.....They don't seem to understand that it is action, not optimism that matters... I think people who lead sheltered lives don't know anything.
You have a lot to learn about Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
I'm a realist, but I can be very optimistic at times. I don't see optimism as an unrelentingly cheery demeanor, but rather as the general view that hard times can work to your advantage. If someone I know is going through hard times I generally try to support them, even if it is only with an open ear and an open mind. My opinion is that optimists emphasize the good in the worst of situations. Anyone who blindly forces the "it will be ok" line down your throat is either not really listening or doesn't really care.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You have a lot to learn about Life.
Everyone does.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,661,992 times
"optimism-bias". Wiki it. Humans are not evil for it, we're just predisposed to pollyanna behavior. It's a common coping mechanism. It doesn't really warrant the self-evident virtue some people like to push to the masses about optimism. Bad chit happens to good people all the time, all optimism does in that case is appease others that don't like hearing other people complain. Optimism is meant to appease your selfish neighbor who doesn't want to hear it, it's not really for your own edification....

Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I gotta admit.

I don't like people that are overly optimistic.

(Heads over to OT to dig up the pet peeves thread......)

Old 06-05-2011, 01:21 AM

Ehh crap. I just ended up in the hospital and had emergency surgery. After I diagnosed myself. All the while being jeered at by the "optimists" who keep telling me that I'm being paranoid. Since I got hospitalized I've received well wishes from virtually everyone except the "optimists" which makes me think that they were more concerned about being right about their life philosophy than about my well being. One of them had the gall to continue to badger me about my "pessimistic attitude" even after I was hospitalized. I am trying my best to ignore this person (who is unfortunately family).

Case in point. I am NOT PESSIMISTIC! I just have really bad juju and I'm very aware that God, prayers, and hope are helpful coping devices, but they won't keep me alive as long as trusting my medical instincts. Thinking about it makes me annoyed so I have to vent or else I'll bust my stitches.

Ok, I am now done venting.

Last edited by miyu; 06-05-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Directed towards the OP...

While it can be annoying optimism is alot better than dwelling in the negative...

Always hope for the best but expect the worst...
That is a personal saying for me. There is only a certain amount of worrying one can do...and while being worried is okay, it is a feeling it is neither wrong or right you need to ask yourself "Where has my worrying over a certain issue or situation gotten me?"

There always comes a time when being optimistic is all you have...

Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Assume that you just got some bad news. And the first reaction that many people have is, "Oh I'm sure you will be fine." Does that make you feel better or does that make you annoyed?

I don't understand why some people must rub optimism in everyone's face. Everyone has coping mechanisms and worrying isn't necessarily a bad thing if it isn't disruptive to your daily function. Yet people feel the need to spin things in a positive light all the time. Why is that?

Personally I think it's because the optimists are oblivious, and don't actually care about your situation. Easier to pretend that everything is peachy. They don't seem to understand that it is action, not optimism that matters.

The last time somebody told me everything was gonna be fine, I almost died. I think people who lead sheltered lives don't know anything. But they should learn how to keep their mouths closed -- it is so obnoxious to minimize another person's problems. If they can't handle negativity they should never ask people how they are doing.
I don't know any pessimists so I've never encountered this problem before.

[I think the solution to your problem is to surround yourself with pessimists]

Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP...

While it can be annoying optimism is alot better than dwelling in the negative...

Always hope for the best but expect the worst...
That is a personal saying for me. There is only a certain amount of worrying one can do...and while being worried is okay, it is a feeling it is neither wrong or right you need to ask yourself "Where has my worrying over a certain issue or situation gotten me?"

There always comes a time when being optimistic is all you have...
I agree that we should hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. I think sometimes people who don't have enough knowledge about something they tend to latch onto blind optimism as a safety mechanism - and they do not prepare themselves at all. Had I done that in this instance, my outcome would have been very bad. You have to use your brain and logic to protect yourself, without becoming paranoid and dysfunctional of course.

I guess the time has now come where I only have optimism left since my fears have already come to pass - though I did save myself from the very worst outcome by being so vigilant and educating myself in the weeks ahead.

In some ways this is better because I can only focus on getting from one day to the next. I hardly feel distressed or sad because I've prepared myself already. Being realistic and logical is the best option for me to remain sane, happy, and proactive. I think some people just don't respect this way of thinking and continue to label me as a pessimist. I don't get why they have to push their agenda on me - truly baffling.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Quote:
I agree that we should hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. I think sometimes people who don't have enough knowledge about something they tend to latch onto blind optimism as a safety mechanism - and they do not prepare themselves at all. Had I done that in this instance, my outcome would have been very bad. You have to use your brain and logic to protect yourself, without becoming paranoid and dysfunctional of course.

I guess the time has now come where I only have optimism left since my fears have already come to pass - though I did save myself from the very worst outcome by being so vigilant and educating myself in the weeks ahead.

In some ways this is better because I can only focus on getting from one day to the next. I hardly feel distressed or sad because I've prepared myself already. Being realistic and logical is the best option for me to remain sane, happy, and proactive. I think some people just don't respect this way of thinking and continue to label me as a pessimist. I don't get why they have to push their agenda on me - truly baffling.
Miyu...

I am not exactly sure what you have gone through or what you are going through and I am not going to pretend I do..
I do know that sometimes when one is feeling down and they have been faced extreme adversity or life changing issues it is a personal battle and only they know what they are experiencing and hearing optimistic words can be the last thing they want to hear because only they know how grave the situation is...
Being optimistic is a good thing but one needs to know when this is not going to work when dealing with some persons or situation often times leading an ear and asking what the person needs from them works wonders...but in reality they do not mean harm they are trying to remain optimistic in hopes of raising your spirits..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships