Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,730,477 times

Advertisements

To "baby" a sweetheart or a loved one...what does that mean exactly, in concrete terms? (And no, I'm not talking about the "adult baby", or infantilism, discussed recently on this forum either )

I mean, I guess I know on a *conceptual* level, what it might lean towards: possibly overindulging, or overpampering someone excessively? But I'm still not completely clear about what the more concrete implications are. What is "babying" to someone, could potentially be "just being nice/caring/affectionate", to someone else.

I have seen the word in this context used both in a negative and a positive sense, although the perjorative meaning has tended to dominate overwhelmingly, in the instances I saw.

Thoughts please?

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-26-2011 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Corrected language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,832,515 times
Well, as you say, what's "babying" to one person isn't babying to another. My MIL does not think it's babying to make her husband carry her purse (shudder). However my best friend thought it was babying, and not in a good way, when her family cooked and cleaned for her after major surgery. So it depends upon the person and the context.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,635,772 times
I interpret it as being nurturing to your lover. However there are times where one will treat them like a toddler and that's not a good thing. A prime example of this was on one episode of Bridezillas where one bride actually treated her fiancée like a toddler by telling him to do something and counting to three if he didn't do it.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,353,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
To "baby" a sweetheart or a loved one...what does that mean exactly, in concrete terms? (And no, I'm not talking about the "adult baby", or infantilism, discussed recently on this forum either )

I mean, I guess I know on a *conceptual* level, what it might lean towards: possibly overindulging, or overpampering someone excessively? But I'm still not completely clear about what the more concrete implications are. What is "babying" to someone, could potentially be "just being nice/caring/affectionate", to someone else.

I have seen the word in this context used both in a negative and a positive sense, although the perjorative meaning has tended to dominate overwhelmingly, in the instances I saw.

Thoughts please?
I think you nailed the definition. Overindulging, catering to someone, a lot of TLC, baby talk, cutesy cutesy stuff, "mothering" someone.

I think it can make someone dependent on you. In small doses it's perfectly o.k. in my book.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

6,534 posts, read 7,250,781 times
A girl can call me baby, oogie woogie, etc. it's nice but I rather pay attention to her actions. If her actions are all good then her calling me this or that takes a different meaning.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think you nailed the definition. Overindulging, catering to someone, a lot of TLC, baby talk, cutesy cutesy stuff, "mothering" someone.

I think it can make someone dependent on you. In small doses it's perfectly o.k. in my book.
I was going to add an s to mothering (smothering) because thats what it seems like to me

Old 05-26-2011, 01:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,395,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post

Thoughts please?
When you look at them and get all those warm feelings---you just can't help yourself--you want to take care of them.

He/she might be 'difficult' or imperfect but however he/she is it suits you.

lol--like the smaller kind. Whatever it is that the person needs/wants you want to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNX_gayY1E

Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, as you say, what's "babying" to one person isn't babying to another. My MIL does not think it's babying to make her husband carry her purse (shudder). However my best friend thought it was babying, and not in a good way, when her family cooked and cleaned for her after major surgery. So it depends upon the person and the context.
Thx for your feedback

Old 05-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I interpret it as being nurturing to your lover. However there are times where one will treat them like a toddler and that's not a good thing. A prime example of this was on one episode of Bridezillas where one bride actually treated her fiancée like a toddler by telling him to do something and counting to three if he didn't do it.
Some excellent points there -- thx!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Thanks LuckyGem...interesting...

Lol...I agree that used correctly and with appropriate moderation, it can be a very cute and endearing thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships