Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM

90 posts, read 115,665 times

Advertisements

All of this media condemnation of Arnie/the Governator is comical. I heard some supposed/ostensible psychologist on CBS news say that only low intelligence men cheat lol. But is there any evidence that monogamy is innate?

Yes, cheating can hurt others. It also undermines trust. But can it ever be stopped? If not, then we can only manage around it. Murder is wrong, but this does not mean we can necessarily ever stop it.

So, if we as a society is to manage around it, then should we change the concept of what a relationship is? Cheating is wrong since we value exclusivity in relationships. But if relationships were more open, then would cheating would be less wrong. Another thing is that this demonisation of Arnie is sexist. Yes, men can cheat, but don't women also? It is not a gender specific thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightee View Post
All of this media condemnation of Arnie/the Governator is comical. I heard some supposed/ostensible psychologist on CBS news say that only low intelligence men cheat lol. But is there any evidence that monogamy is innate?

Yes, cheating can hurt others. It also undermines trust. But can it ever be stopped? If not, then we can only manage around it. Murder is wrong, but this does not mean we can necessarily ever stop it.

So, if we as a society is to manage around it, then should we change the concept of what a relationship is? Cheating is wrong since we value exclusivity in relationships. But if relationships were more open, then would cheating would be less wrong. Another thing is that this demonisation of Arnie is sexist. Yes, men can cheat, but don't women also? It is not a gender specific thing.
I think people could have accepted his indiscretion if he hadn't schemed to keep it a secret.

How do you forgive a man who has a secret family for 14 years RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE?

The Maid is there every day, the kid has been in the family house.

The voters of the State of California who elected him were also duped.

He's a fraud.

This goes way past infidelity. This was a well planned deception.

And it is unforgivable.

He's being investigated for having trysts while he was governor in Sacramento now. If he used taxpayer money to have flings with women at the Hotel he stayed in while he was governor, he's in serious trouble.

It's not about a man who's unfaithful anymore. It's beyond that.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/25...e-probe-report

There's no reason to change what society has always considered a marriage relationship to accommodate people who want to live without rules.

If you don't want rules, don't get married. It's quite simple.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
It's not just the cheating that is causing so much uproar, it's the decade long deceit and keeping his child (and possibly other children) as a dirty little secret. Most people have come to expect celebrities and politicians to be caught up in some sort of scandal. How many of us see a Hollywood couple getting married and think to ourselves "this will last about a year until someone gets caught cheating"?

Back when Clinton was cheating and getting BJ's in the oval office, the media on the left said it wasn't anyone's business. Now, those same networks and talking heads are dog piling on Arnold. Funny how that works. The fact is, sex sells, especially when scandal is involved.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
No. I think cheating is a bad thing but I don't think it necessarily makes a person, any person, Arnold included, all-around bad.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:06 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightee View Post

A relationship is whatever two parties agree to. You should have honesty and trust between friends and family and cheating violates that.

Bashing Arnie isn't sexist, he has it coming for carrying on long affairs, having a secret kid and so on and so forth.

Basically, Arnie lied and betrayed the closest people to him in the world so he could get have sex with another woman. Over and over and over. What would he do to a friend if a good business deal were on the line?

P.S. Maria is to blame too for picking a known bad boy womanizer, it's like having a pet tiger then crying about getting mauled.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What would he do to a friend if a good business deal were on the line?
He'll be investigated for this one too:

Schwarzenegger commutes prison sentence of Fabian Nuñez's son [Updated] - latimes.com

Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
I can remember when Bill Clinton made the headlines and some time after that Warren Beatty, known for his relationships with legions of women, said--'That is BC's 'S' and he needs to deal with it.'

I tend to think of him as immature and possibly having some deep issues. I understand Maria was/is absolutely furious. In her position it would be difficult not to feel that she/their life together/family meant nothing to him.

No, AS, is not inherently a bad man. His choice hurt others--it is entirely possible that the damage can never be repaired. It transcends 'bad'.

You can certainly still love someone who does this type of thing, which may be the worst part--you love the person but are so deeply hurt that it is difficult to know how to stop.

The part about sharing a pregnancy with the mistress would be something that would take me years to reconcile.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Not really. Sadly, that crap happens all the time at both the governor and presidential level. Check out Bill Clintons final term pardons. Not to mention some of Reagans.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
I don't know Arnold Schwarzenegger so I can't say if he's a bad man or not. I personally don't believe cheating makes one a bad person, it makes you bored or dishonest or a serial liar but really, who knows what goes on inside a relationship except the people involved in it. He wasn't that bad if he could hold a marriage together for 25 years and raise seemingly ok children all whilst living in the public eye.

I do think he was wrong to keep it a secret from his wife for so many years.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
I think his wife is a bad person.
Actually she's a bad wife. A bad wife for not taking care of her husband thus forcing him to sleep with the housekeeper.
It's her fault plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships