Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times

Advertisements

Short of spitting on your hosts and calling them names, not RSVPing an invitation is about the rudest thing one can possibly do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
If I flaked on an RSVP, or didn't show up when I said I would (true emergencies excepted as long as regrets are appropriately tendered), I would ASSUME that I just lost myself a friend, to be honest. So rude.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:26 PM

16 posts, read 32,867 times
Thanks for the words, folks. I appreciate the messages and shared experiences. And WFW&P, I have hosted MANY events. I love to entertain and while it is true I have experienced having some people not show or respond, it is usually only a few and of those they at least call a day or so later to let me know why they couldn't make it. It's the numbers with this one for me. I am sure this happens all over and I wasn't just inferring here in Charlotte. What I am trying to determine is if it actually IS something people here do. A native Charlottean and close friend of mind told me it is considered "rude" to say no to an invitation. Is this true? I don't know. It may be just a sign of the times in which social graces such as this are ignored. Either way, it's just inconsiderate. I think the thing to to is not extend an invite to those who were rude and yes, kill them with kindness. :-)

Old 05-29-2011, 03:32 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,128 times
Ugh, so frustrating. I hate it when people do that. Common courtesy would be to call or at least send an email afterward (So sorry I didn't make it, but xyz happened and I couldn't get there). Only thing that's worse is when an invited guest brings other people you didn't plan for and you run out of food, party favors (for kids' parties), etc... I hate it when parents bring uninvited siblings to parties and expect you to provide them with lunch, cake, and whatever the featured activity may be (you usually have to pay by the person). People can be so rude; I blame it on bad breeding.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times
While children I think it's bad upbringing. By the time one reaches adulthood, it's just rude and a lack of class.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:00 PM

16 posts, read 32,867 times
CMMom, I had a bday party for one of my children and a woman brought her 2 other kids to the party. I felt embarrassed when she said "hey, can they stay? I have to run some errands". Ugh. I wouldn't have cared if it were at my home, but it was at a bouncy entertainment place and I had to pay per child. Of course, i didn't have a goody bag for either sibling, both of whom through fits in front of everyone. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore, but yet things like this do! :-)

Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elysesophia View Post
CMMom, I had a bday party for one of my children and a woman brought her 2 other kids to the party. I felt embarrassed when she said "hey, can they stay? I have to run some errands". Ugh. I wouldn't have cared if it were at my home, but it was at a bouncy entertainment place and I had to pay per child. Of course, i didn't have a goody bag for either sibling, both of whom through fits in front of everyone. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore, but yet things like this do! :-)
I think a dose of pepper spray would take care of that problem once and for all.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,908 times
Yes, agree with many others. Never invite them again but don't look at it as being rude back to them. Look at it as giving them what they want, to never be invited again.

Last edited by crisan; 05-29-2011 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,615,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
You will find that this is common here. Even those who actually respond may not come. It is quite frustrating.

For my son's wedding, we had 100 respond that they were coming. I doubled it, due to the other lack of responses. Only 35 actually showed up. I had catered the wedding the homeless shelter ate quite well that day!

(we were having a true sit-down dinner)

I don't know what to do in response. It is maddening, to be sure!
Your positive response to such a nasty occurrence tells me that perhaps you've missed the gift that was given to you - on the day of your joining with your loved one you were also helping scores of unfortunates.

Big gold star in MY book.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,157,949 times
Guilty of being rude, and I admit, it is rude.

I used to always be the first to RSVP, but after a while, I got tired of only seeing "close" friends who constantly said/say, "you're like family" only when it's a gift and check event, so I stopped being the 1st to RSVP, and just recently, I forgot all about a recent thing coming up and at the last minute, I sent a text (haaa) "Sorry, not coming".

I'm sure your story is different, but I just feel as though whenever I'm invited to something it's never "just because"~ to come and hang out, have fun, do nothing but chat, relax and sip wine- it's for a function, event, and something that requires a gift and check.

I got tired of always being the one to chase down people to say hello, and never getting a call back, unless it's to gossip about someone, dog sit, babysit, or do them a favor.

I'm done. And, like I said, I'm sure all your stories are different than mine ... I'm a single girl with a lot of "married," and "taken," friends- it seems as though when you're single, no one wants to hang out with you ... like I'm going to steal their man. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships