Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, you seem like a witty dude, seem to have a lot going for you.

I fear I'd probably end up cutting myself off. I have a natural tendency to be an introvert anyways, so it wouldn't be a stretch for me to be a hermit.

I think in a way, the web has given people, especially older people that are alone, it's given them a social outlet so to speak. A way to connect with others. Sometimes just a simple post on a forum or chatting via IM with others is a good way to keep oneself in the game so to speak.....

No one grows up and and aspires to be the weirdo person with 50 cats......
LOL, I have to tell you my ex MIL is such a person (with 50 cats). Do you have 50 cats? I have one and that is plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
LOL, I have to tell you my ex MIL is such a person (with 50 cats). Do you have 50 cats? I have one and that is plenty.
I have one cat that I inherited when my mom bought the farm.

I love this little guy, but when he goes, I'm done with pets......

Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have one cat that I inherited when my mom bought the farm.

I love this little guy, but when he goes, I'm done with pets......
Oh, ok. I wasn't going to say too much, but if you had 50 cats I was going to ring A&E to see about your eligibility for the show Hoarders.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:42 PM

56 posts, read 93,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Oh my gosh, don't you get lonely? I'm curious and don't mean to pry, but is it because mean people suck or just a general distrust of people or a bad history with people or would you rather not say?

I guess for me it's been a combo of a lot of things, but mostly just stepping back and really looking at how I got where I ended up and the long term relationships of my life and the tapes that play in my head that are so automatic that need to be reprogrammed. Throw a really bad relationship in there and a death and it'll make one be a hermit for awhile.
I've always been painfully shy, the thing is, with extroverted people they need to be with people, so that's what they seek out. Whereas introverts it takes so much out of us just to be social, you have no idea unless you are one yourself. Everytime we open our mouths, we feel like we're being judged. My last relationship had so much drama, I just needed quiet time to myself for a while, it just went on for a long while! I should have mentioned before that I also have a beautiful, smart, loving daughter, so I'm not alone even though she's going to college soon. And I have my immediate family, but that's about it. Sure I get lonely, but what can I do? There are worse things in the world, I just want to be able to support myself and I'll be good!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
I've always been in hermit mode.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
yeah I often go in and out of hermit mode, as I need it

People get use to it, once they realise its not about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMJ View Post
Lol @ all the people claiming that being a hermit is so high and mighty, and better than being social like the rest of society. A hermit is a hermit, it's not cool, and doesn't make you or your life better. Find some better friends.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:18 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMJ View Post
Lol @ all the people claiming that being a hermit is so high and mighty, and better than being social like the rest of society. A hermit is a hermit, it's not cool, and doesn't make you or your life better. Find some better friends.
Hermits and introversion, in a million years isn't because people think that they are cool...........or being high and mighty.......

bizarre statement.....

Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,472 times
I am too busy to even think about "going into hermit mode". I simply don't hang out with anyone. And I don't care! I talk to people at work when there is downtime and it fulfills my social life. It baffles me that this is actually something that is contemplated and carried out for a period of time. What do you do when you leave hermit mode anyways?

And do you ignore people at work if you are hermitting? Cuz that would be kinda rude.

Maybe I don't understand the concept because I am already too deep in hermit mode.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,204 times
a break is ok, but hermitting means ur going bye bye for a while. It isn't a solution and unless you are comfortable with this more so then being outside, it pretty much is just a fear reaction. You fear getting hurt or rejected so you hide so no one has the chance.

What will happen is either youll get tired of being a hermit and stop, or youll stay a hermit and be lonely and unhappy and what social skills you had will degrade even more. Being a hermit will not help you reach social skill nirvana. Ever heard the phrase "use it or lose it?" I suggest you get the book "how to make friends and influence people" by dale carnegie.

Also OP there is a difference between being introverted and being socially disfunctional. A large percentage of the population is introverted. A small percentage is truly socially disfunctional.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhe33 View Post
a break is ok, but hermitting means ur going bye bye for a while. It isn't a solution and unless you are comfortable with this more so then being outside, it pretty much is just a fear reaction. You fear getting hurt or rejected so you hide so no one has the chance.

What will happen is either youll get tired of being a hermit and stop, or youll stay a hermit and be lonely and unhappy and what social skills you had will degrade even more. Being a hermit will not help you reach social skill nirvana. Ever heard the phrase "use it or lose it?" I suggest you get the book "how to make friends and influence people" by dale carnegie.

Also OP there is a difference between being introverted and being socially disfunctional. A large percentage of the population is introverted. A small percentage is truly socially disfunctional.
Interesting post. Interesting way of looking at hermitage. I agree with your assessment in paragraph two, except I don't think anyone does this thinking about social skills at all. In fact, it never entered my mind. And while I agree with the use it or lose it principle in a general sense, I think one either has social skills or does not by a certain age. I think it's' probably a spectrum deal, and I think of autism when I write this. And I'll pass on the book, but appreciate the suggestion. I am confident that when and if I choose to break my solitude, I'll do just fine.

Also, as an INFP myself, I do know what an introvert is. It's more about where you get your energy than what people normally would say as in "he or she is quiet." It's also a preference for depth over breadth. Did you know a disproportionate number of those on the Net are introverts? Makes sense. And it's only 25 percent of the population of the US (could be world for all I know) that are introverts living in an extraverted world, which makes it tough for introverts.

Just curious, but why do you mention being socially dysfunctional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships