U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Toledo
3,857 posts, read 5,107,747 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Keep in mind that there's a much greater demand for people who can fit pipes and wire buildings than there is for people who can file documents and answer phones.



It goes beyond just finding "work." Carpentry, brick masonry, and iron welding are crafts that you can build on to establish a very solid business. Being a good Human Resources Specialist may get you promoted, but you can't become self-employed with those skills. This is why, in the long run, the guy learning how to repoint brick edifices is in a better position than the girl with the Human Resources degree from the University of Maryland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If the Human Resources specialist cannot find a job, then she (and it is almost always a "she") cannot go out and do freelance secretarial work. The construction worker who gets laid off from ABC Construction Co. can always pick up side work building patios, putting up drywall, etc.
Well I was replying to your post about freelance work. There may not be as many opportunities for HR specialists to do freelance work as you would find in the skilled trades but they certainly are out there.

And I'm not denying that the skilled trades are crafts that take a lot of time and dedication to learn. Where I live, you would be hard pressed to find a black woman turn away a good black man because he works in a skilled trade. Most black women I know are happy to get a good man that isn't chronically unemployed.

 
Old 08-19-2011, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
16,740 posts, read 9,271,911 times
Reputation: 5801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Your argument isn't making sense. A typical guy doing construction labor isn't a skilled electrician, so you're elevating your argument for a more reasonable position, and most women are not in HR even tho HR may be dominated by women. I'm not sure why you are harping on HR. The stats clearly show where women dominate, it doesn't appear to be HR.

And, I'm not making any recommendations as to what careers people should approach. I happen to think the skilled trades are good option, but you brought up construction and that happens to be one of the hardest hit industries in this recession.
Did you read my earlier posts?

Keep in mind that we are talking about black women here. For every black female attorney, there are 15 black women in Human Resources. In my office, my secretary and the other five secretaries on my floor are all black women. And they're all college-educated. Now in my mind, my secretary is "equally yoked" with the boilermaker who probably makes more money than her anyway. But in the minds of many black women, she has a degree, and the boilermaker does not, therefore she is of a higher status than him. I mean, if you were going strictly by the statistics, then that's the portrait you get, right? All of these "successful" educated black women and all of these good-for-nothing, sorry, trifling brothers who can't get their act together and earn a college degree.

So the whole "there are 8 successful black women for every successful black man" meme fails to account for the fact that many of these "successful" women (and by "successful," we sadly mean that someone went to college and got a job) are not all high-flying surgeons, but are often low-level workers with BS degrees. You don't see men flocking to school to major in HR Management because they can just go to trade school or cut hair and earn just as much if not more money. Women, on the other hand, don't see pipefitting as a viable career option, so more of them are naturally going to go to college.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Toledo
3,857 posts, read 5,107,747 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Based on the current state of our economy, I would say that law and banking are not good fields to go into either. Is it better to encourgage an aspiring antitrust attorney to become a nurse instead because that's where the jobs are right now?

A skilled electrician will make more than the best Human Resources Specialist 100 times out of 100. Many of those guys are unionized, too, so they really command a good wage. You're assuming that the choices are either (a) go to college or (b) be an unskilled day laborer. There are a lot of men who did not go to college, developed a craft, and do very well for themselves financially. In the long run, these guys are much better off than the HR Specialist who has very little choice in her field other than working for the Man.
Oh BTW there is no nursing shortage. Don't believe what the MSM is telling you. The nursing field is glutted in many cities. They are pumping out so many new nurses that many are even having a hard time doing their clinicals. The RN degree is getting watered down much like the MBA.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
 
Location: 20 years from now
3,748 posts, read 2,735,340 times
Reputation: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Did you read my earlier posts?

Keep in mind that we are talking about black women here. For every black female attorney, there are 15 black women in Human Resources. In my office, my secretary and the other five secretaries on my floor are all black women. And they're all college-educated. Now in my mind, my secretary is "equally yoked" with the boilermaker who probably makes more money than her anyway. But in the minds of many black women, she has a degree, and the boilermaker does not, therefore she is of a higher status than him. I mean, if you were going strictly by the statistics, then that's the portrait you get, right? All of these "successful" educated black women and all of these good-for-nothing, sorry, trifling brothers who can't get their act together and earn a college degree.

So the whole "there are 8 successful black women for every successful black man" meme fails to account for the fact that many of these "successful" women (and by "successful," we sadly mean that someone went to college and got a job) are not all high-flying surgeons, but are often low-level workers with BS degrees. You don't see men flocking to school to major in HR Management because they can just go to trade school or cut hair and earn just as much if not more money. Women, on the other hand, don't see pipefitting as a viable career option, so more of them are naturally going to go to college.

And this concludes our sermon...

This was on the money.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 PM
 
4,263 posts, read 2,092,236 times
Reputation: 5301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Did you read my earlier posts?

Keep in mind that we are talking about black women here. For every black female attorney, there are 15 black women in Human Resources. In my office, my secretary and the other five secretaries on my floor are all black women. And they're all college-educated. Now in my mind, my secretary is "equally yoked" with the boilermaker who probably makes more money than her anyway. But in the minds of many black women, she has a degree, and the boilermaker does not, therefore she is of a higher status than him. I mean, if you were going strictly by the statistics, then that's the portrait you get, right? All of these "successful" educated black women and all of these good-for-nothing, sorry, trifling brothers who can't get their act together and earn a college degree.

So the whole "there are 8 successful black women for every successful black man" meme fails to account for the fact that many of these "successful" women (and by "successful," we sadly mean that someone went to college and got a job) are not all high-flying surgeons, but are often low-level workers with BS degrees. You don't see men flocking to school to major in HR Management because they can just go to trade school or cut hair and earn just as much if not more money. Women, on the other hand, don't see pipefitting as a viable career option, so more of them are naturally going to go to college.
I so agree with this. And this is coming from a college guy. But I know that to be successful in life takes more then a degree or certificate.
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
 
38 posts, read 36,937 times
Reputation: 68
Clinton Bograine here. My black queens are long overdue to taste the delights of white chocolate in order to uncover the truth. Sexual reparations will be paid in full, plus interest, which means the our time will finally be at hand. I have long since given up women for the godflesh of African tree trunks, but once distracted, the Modern Black Man will rise up against the oppressor and secure his place at the head of the table.

Brograin X
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:27 PM
 
825 posts, read 760,177 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Black women will make it seem like there's this sea of Michelle Obamas who have no choice but to date the Jiffy Lube guy because there's such a dearth of successful black men. It's more like there's a sea of women with degrees in Human Resources who work as secretaries in big law firms who are basically the female equivalent of the electrician/pipefitter/boilermaker/bricklayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Contrary to the popular media meme, there are far more black women going into fields such as cosmetology or human personnel management than economics and medicine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Keep in mind that we are talking about black women here. For every black female attorney, there are 15 black women in Human Resources. In my office, my secretary and the other five secretaries on my floor are all black women. And they're all college-educated..
There's so much wrong in your comments... I don't even know where to begin. Let me start with my experience. When I lived in the DC metro area, I actually saw a lot more "Michelle Obama" type women, before Michelle Obama came on the scene. By that I mean well educated, professional women, who were not in fields like cosmetology (more on this) or HR. Today, the women I know in my immediate circle are MBA holders, Engineers, Nurses and Teachers.

As for cosmetology, it's actually a stretch to call that a degree (in my opinion). It's more like a certificate, a license, something that takes a number of hours to complete. Yes I know that there are some Associate degree programs in cosmetology but it's not the norm. And as for HR, all the people I know working in HR, never studied it but rather fell into it, and guess what, they were/are not black!!! Also, all the secretaries in my building are white.

But let's put personal experience aside, because depending on where you live, you can see different things. I wanted real data and so I looked at the National Center for Education statistics to find out what degrees black women pursued.

- This shows what percentages of black males and females obtained degrees in the 2007-2008 period (we already know black women outnumber black men in college, but let's get some percentages) Table 26.1. Number, percentage conferred on females, and percentage distribution of degrees awarded by degree-granting institutions, by level of degree, race/ethnicity, and sex: 200708


- This talks about the percentage of degrees awarded by majors by ethnicity
Table 26.2. Percentage of degrees awarded by degree-granting institutions in the most popular fields of study, by race/ethnicity and level of study: 200708

If you apply the rate from the first link to the second link, you can get actual numbers. As you can see, business was the most common major studied by black people and consequently black women. Even if HR is lumped under the business banner (which some schools do), that still leaves Finance, Accounting, Business Management, Marketing etc that falls under that banner. We don't know what actual percentages studied what so you can't really say that HR was what most black women studied.

Give us a break BajanYankee, we truly are not that bad
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
3,914 posts, read 2,446,362 times
Reputation: 3168
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Oh BTW there is no nursing shortage. Don't believe what the MSM is telling you. The nursing field is glutted in many cities. They are pumping out so many new nurses that many are even having a hard time doing their clinicals. The RN degree is getting watered down much like the MBA.
Agree!
Mix in all the people coming in from over seas for lower pay.
The whole "we are short of nurses" is just lies put out there by the nursing schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Brogain View Post
Clinton Bograine here. My black queens are long overdue to taste the delights of white chocolate in order to uncover the truth. Sexual reparations will be paid in full, plus interest, which means the our time will finally be at hand. I have long since given up women for the godflesh of African tree trunks, but once distracted, the Modern Black Man will rise up against the oppressor and secure his place at the head of the table.

Brograin X
Rofl What!!!!
 
Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northside)
2,907 posts, read 3,597,803 times
Reputation: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Brogain View Post
Clinton Bograine here. My black queens are long overdue to taste the delights of white chocolate in order to uncover the truth. Sexual reparations will be paid in full, plus interest, which means the our time will finally be at hand. I have long since given up women for the godflesh of African tree trunks, but once distracted, the Modern Black Man will rise up against the oppressor and secure his place at the head of the table.
Brograin X
LOL
 
Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Seattle
626 posts, read 559,031 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Just go do some research and stop being stubborn; you might learn something, For example, whites who live in areas where wine cannot be grown have a higher incidence of alcoholism than those who live in grape-and-wine-producing areas. That's genetic, and that's white. During the period in history the whites "opened up" Asia for trade, most societies there accepted hot spices, except the japanese, who prefer the miso nose-burn effect. That's genetic (either the pre-disposition to shun hot taste and also cinnamon, or it's a social follow-the-rules that makes the Japanese more tradition-bound, so either way it's genetic.) Q.E.D.

Oh, and those Blacks who live in Boston who are by-and-large the descendents of free blacks might take issue with your description that all African Americans are desdcendents of slaves (as might Obama take exception too). You do know that the Pilgrims tried to make slaves out of the Blacks but the rate of pneumonia and exposure were so high they decided against it, therefore damn few Blacks in New England are of slave descent.
Where did I write African Americans? I purposefully used the term Black Americans. And, where did I write the word, "all"?

And, you are talking about genetic predispositions; this about the DNA that one inherits and not about any particular racial connectedness.

As for your comment about the Blacks in New England, they were brought here to serve. In the late 1600s, the colonial landowners hadn't quite worked out the "enslaved for life" mentality yet. Originally, slaves were held in bondage much like indentured servants, but then eventually those landowners realized that they could save a hell of a lot more money if they kept the Africans in slavery for life instead of shipping over Europeans as indentured servants who worked for a few years and required a severence pay at the end of their term.

But, how to go about implementing a system like that? Well, we have to create a way to distinguish between the slave and the servant, so how would we do that? Oh! I know, those dark guys are Black and those pale guys are White. And, bam, that was how race was made in the United States.

For more reading, please check out David Roediger's book, "How Race Survived US History".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top