Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Why not do something about it?

I'm just wondering. It's not just on this forum...but in real life...I hear people complaining about their partners/spouses and what they do.

If it's so bad that you have to bring it up in public (often repeatedly), then why don't you fix the problem?! And if it's so unbearable, just freakin' leave.

Help me out...maybe I'm naive...why is this so hard? It can't be as easy as just putting your foot down, right? Or is it? Or do I just have a talent for dating really reasonable, considerate people who find my happiness as important as theirs (and vice versa)?

Why stay with someone who makes you so miserable that you have to whine in public about it incessantly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Im not sure I whine incessantly, but its been my experience that most of these things that “drive you crazy” don’t manifest until you have sufficiently involved yourself in a relationship. Then you try to resolve the problem which often proves to be a difficult task. At this point you have a lot invested in your relationship and have to decide if the problem is bad enough to just toss everything or if the good outweighs the bad. I think mostly the complaining is just venting that everyone is entitled to every now and then.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
Yeah, I'm not about to leave my husband and best friend of 17 years over his loud coughing fits in the morning that drive me crazy....

Or when he does work around the house in his "good" jeans because he forgot to change.. at least he's doing house work!

Dude, why can't we vent or tell otheres about it from time to time. NO ONE is perfect!!!!
I could vent on what I do that drives myself and my husband CRAZY!!!

who cares....

Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why not do something about it?

I'm just wondering. It's not just on this forum...but in real life...I hear people complaining about their partners/spouses and what they do.

If it's so bad that you have to bring it up in public (often repeatedly), then why don't you fix the problem?! And if it's so unbearable, just freakin' leave.

Help me out...maybe I'm naive...why is this so hard? It can't be as easy as just putting your foot down, right? Or is it? Or do I just have a talent for dating really reasonable, considerate people who find my happiness as important as theirs (and vice versa)?

Why stay with someone who makes you so miserable that you have to whine in public about it incessantly?
It's not a matter of being hard. Some people actually enjoy complaining. As with anything in life, you'll have those who get things done and those who just sit and complain, never working to resolve their issues. Just surround yourself with like-minded people.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

YouTube - ‪SiNbAd: Brain Damaged (Part 5)‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,683 times
I may not have a partner now, but one thing that would drive me up a wall is if he has a bossy attitude!! Omg!! There's a difference between being a leader and just being bossy and controlling. I haven't experienced this in a partner, but I know some people who are just control freaks and I can't stand it!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Hah, not sure I do much complaining about my partner, online or in public, as it were...but there are always going to be annoyances of the "irritating, but nothing to have a throwdown over" variety.

Chief among them are his pickiness in terms of food. It's not gonna change (although he DID taste asparagus the other day! That's all I can ask...like with a 4-year old...if you've never had it, just TRY it!). There's really nothing I can "DO about it," except occasionally vent my annoyance.

Likewise with my other main gripe...appearing to be listening when I tell him important things, only later to appear clueless and claim that I "never told him," when I did, he just wasn't listening/absorbing. I now put anything important in writing, just like I do at work. So there's something that can done about that.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:30 PM

859 posts, read 2,827,956 times
Some people complain just to complain and they are not happy otherwise. These are most likely the people you're listening to.

People with common sense walk away when things aren't working.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
I don't appreciate friends who drag you into their relationship turmoil, get you all rilled up as you coach them through their ordeal only to have them forgive the individual and reconnect sometimes within a matter of hours!

There I am left upset regarding the said infraction as they skip off into the sunset drinking caramel macchiatos and such. This is why I simply share MY OWN personal experiences/how I handled etc. vs what they should do.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
I don't appreciate friends who drag you into their relationship turmoil, get you all rilled up as you coach them through their ordeal only to have them forgive the individual and reconnect sometimes within a matter of hours!

There I am left upset regarding the said infraction as they skip off into the sunset drinking caramel macchiatos and such. This is why I simply share MY OWN personal experiences/how I handled etc. vs what they should do.
The flip side of that is people who claim to want to "help" when they really just get off on others crises. This is why the workplace is a place I never talk about anything private.

personally I like a relatively drama free life, so sick of hearing all the addiction, negative stories (on tv etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships