Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

So beta female would refer to how they are submissive to the alpha female right? Kind of like how alpha males are dominant over the beta males?

I guess sorority leaders and the leader of a female clique / gang would be alpha. Never experienced this kind of dynamic though. Women tend to be more equals with each other I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You're the first person I've ever met who used these terms this way. And the problem with the way you're using alpha and beta to describe physical attractiveness is that you're suggesting those are the only two choices, meaning you're either one of the other. Too bad that's not how physical attractiveness works.
I never said they were the only two choices. In fact, in my first post, I said that there is a continuum of attractiveness. Jay-Z, for example, would be a super alpha male. Why is he a super alpha male, you may ask? Because lots of hot chicks get the tingles in their nether regions when he enters a room. A 6'4, chiseled jaw surgeon who utters words into the ears of women that are smoother than silk may be considered an alpha male. A 6'4 chiseled jaw surgeon who is a bit socially awkward may be considered a lesser alpha male. So could an unemployed DJ with a quick wit and nice smile. A socially maladroit computer engineer who has a fear of approaching women and makes $250,000 with Ivy League degrees is likely a greater beta male/beta male.

Which brings me to another point. "Alpha" and "beta" are terms used to describe only a woman's physical attractivess, not a man's. Despite his facial ugliness, Jay-Z is considered hot by women all over the world because of his swagger and social dominance. A man's attractiveness is not limited to just his looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Except that we also have free will. The people who clamor on about "human nature" act like we're all on autopilot and have no control over how we respond to things.
We don't. You don't believe me? Go eat cow dung and learn to like it. Better yet, learn to make your favorite food taste absolutely repulsive to you. You don't choose who or what you're attracted to any more than you do your favorite flavor ice cream.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM

A woman driven wild with desire for an Alpha Male:

I can't explain why it's him and not you
But at the end of the day baby I just don't want to
Cause he ain't no doctor
And we always seem to fight, he ain't got the perfect body
And sometimes he don't even treat me right
Oh but when I'm with him, but when I'm with him
When I'm with him, ain't nobody else like it
I'm so sorry baby that I have to do this to you
But I can't go on pretending...
Cause I love him, I love him

-Philadelphia native Jazmin Sullivan (215 representin!!!)

He has a little game that he plays
Clever little ways and a hot boy style

So busy trying to play with my head
Telling me how he could blow my mind
Something about the things that he said
Made me want to take it there one time
I should be walking away
Cause his hands up on my thigh
Should I leave, should I stay?
After all it's just one night

-Mya, "Best of Me"

That is what a woman enthralled with an alpha male sounds like. But I seriously doubt too many girls are thinking that about you, Denny. You can come in and provide them with sensitivity, love, understanding, mutual interests (pilates) and support while they run back time and time again to guys like me. But once their confidence and self-esteem hit record highs (in their mid 30s), they'll come to appreciate a guy like you.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Alpha females sound like perfect candidates for having their own reality show on BRAVO.
That is a good point -- in a former lifetime I was forced to sit through various episodes of "The Real Housewives of..."

That is more or less what "alpha females" look like in action. Lots of one-upping each other, materialism, snide remarks to cut other people down... controlling others, and climbing what they percieve to be the social ladder. It is very masculine and competitive behavior, for a group of women. Their husbands are usually a throwaway bunch of mix-and-match weirdos and betas, or they are "normal" rich dudes are in the process of cheating on and/or divorcing the "alpha female" in question.

But, as BajanYankee points out, I'm sure other people define "alpha" and "beta" and all those other terms in other ways. It's not commonly applied to women , so I can see how there would be different interpretations. I think of the "alpha" and "beta" concept as a fundamentally male distinction. Applying it to women and their intrapersonal relationships is trying to put a square peg in a round hole.... calling a woman an "alpha female" is basically calling her a female who mimics the behavior of a powerful man.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A woman driven wild with desire for an Alpha Male:

I can't explain why it's him and not you
But at the end of the day baby I just don't want to
Cause he ain't no doctor
And we always seem to fight, he ain't got the perfect body
And sometimes he don't even treat me right
Oh but when I'm with him, but when I'm with him
When I'm with him, ain't nobody else like it
I'm so sorry baby that I have to do this to you
But I can't go on pretending...
Cause I love him, I love him

-Philadelphia native Jazmin Sullivan (215 representin!!!)

He has a little game that he plays
Clever little ways and a hot boy style

So busy trying to play with my head
Telling me how he could blow my mind
Something about the things that he said
Made me want to take it there one time
I should be walking away
Cause his hands up on my thigh
Should I leave, should I stay?
After all it's just one night

-Mya, "Best of Me"
Sounds a bit juvenile to me, but maybe I'm just an old man...

Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Sounds a bit juvenile to me, but maybe I'm just an old man...
If you could give a 33-year old woman the same dating options she had at 23, do you think her behavior and attitude would change?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
If you could give a 33-year old woman the same dating options she had at 23, do you think her behavior and attitude would change?
Not necessarily. It depends how susceptible she is to social influences, how weak- or strong-minded she is and what her idea of happiness entails.

Many women I've known were NOT happy with their dating lives in their 20's but were quite satisfied with them in their 30's and 40's.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Quote:
You're assuming the 33 year-old is looking for the types of experiences to be had by the 23 year-old. Whether or not that speaks to her maturity level is an entirely different discussion.

(Sounds a bit juvenile to me too SifuPhil, and I'm a long way from being an old man!)

Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Many women I've known were NOT happy with their dating lives in their 20's but were quite satisfied with them in their 30's and 40's.
That's not surprising. Sometimes having too many options can be a problem. It can lead to flakiness, dippiness, and a general unappreciative attitude towards the opposite sex.

It's kinda like how we all scratch our heads when an athlete signs a $55 million contract and winds up broke within 5 years. Like the guy from Jerry Maguire said: "[sobbing and sniffling] People just don't understand the problems that come along with $55 million dollars! [sniff, sniff]."

Women with options, much like professional athletes, often live like they'll never grow old. Sometimes taking away the looks (or the money and fame) makes it easier to live a normal life.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:05 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
"Alpha" can mean potato, fart, or Volkswagen if that's what people intend for it to mean and the person the word is being communicated to understands it as such. Just because you don't like the affixation of the label "alpha" to attractive people does not mean that the word can't be used that way.
Sorry, but that's wrong. The alpha and beta distinctions (among others) are well established in science. There isn't much room for interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships