Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times

Advertisements

On the contrary, you'll find that to probably the majority of 40 year old men, the age group 18i(ish) to 30 women are the most interesting !!!

That said, the majority of 40 year old men are experienced enough to know that they've no chance.

A little harmless flirting does nobody any harm, (except the OP apparently) if he enjoys it, and the young ladies enjoy it, then where's the problem?
If the ladies don't enjoy it, then it's sexual harassment. That, however, is NOT the Op's problem. It's the young ladies' problem.

I think if she was to report him to their boss for sexual harassment, or to the authorities for indecently "talking, laughing and flirting with someone over the legal age of consent", then I can guess how far that would go.

We're all ready to have this guy on the sex offenders' register, let's remember, at this stage, he has not been proven to have done anything indecent, with the exception of not sat with the OP at lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
18-22 year old women shouldn't be interesting to a 40 year old man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
To be fair tho Dave, there's not even a suggestion that the guy is having sex, or any kind of relationship with these girls.

It's my humble opinion that the OP's nose is out of joint because he's not talking and flirting with her !

He's talking to them, and there's an accusation of flirting, but nothing else
Agreed. I think this is the same guy that WAS talking to her at lunchtime. Now he is talking to other girls at work that are younger. Just because he's talking to them is nothing.

When I was younger, I had men my father's age talking to me at work and there was nothing going on.

Move on and don't worry what others are doing and saying.

You must live in a very, very small town because you analyze alot. I think you might need to get out and find guys in another town that's bigger then yours.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
So there's a guy at work who is in his late 30's/early 40's. However he looks much younger. Anyway, he is either a big flirt or a player and we are very friendly. We have each others phone numbers and sit w/ each other at breaks sometimes. However, sometimes I see this guy hanging out with girls in the range of teenage to early 20's at work, talking to them, being very friendly with them. Who knows if stuff is going on with them behind the scenes and I really don't want to jump to any conclusions about if he's doing teenagers. I recently came into the middle of a conversation between him and a younger girl and another younger guy. She was talking about how she had a steady boyfriend and the older guy and younger guy were laughing about it later. I could just be jumping to conclusions, but I have known this guy for awhile and don't want to think he is hooking up with late teens or even early 20 somethings.
Its called jealousy

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
So there's a guy at work who is in his late 30's/early 40's. However he looks much younger. Anyway, he is either a big flirt or a player and we are very friendly. We have each others phone numbers and sit w/ each other at breaks sometimes. However, sometimes I see this guy hanging out with girls in the range of teenage to early 20's at work, talking to them, being very friendly with them. Who knows if stuff is going on with them behind the scenes and I really don't want to jump to any conclusions about if he's doing teenagers. I recently came into the middle of a conversation between him and a younger girl and another younger guy. She was talking about how she had a steady boyfriend and the older guy and younger guy were laughing about it later. I could just be jumping to conclusions, but I have known this guy for awhile and don't want to think he is hooking up with late teens or even early 20 somethings.
16 will get you 20 !

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
The whole thing sounds skeevy. When the old dudes hung out with teens and young women at work it was always about wanting more. It's like those 45 year old guys that hang out at clubs for college aged kids and pretend to like the music.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The whole thing sounds skeevy. When the old dudes hung out with teens and young women at work it was always about wanting more. It's like those 45 year old guys that hang out at clubs for college aged kids and pretend to like the music.
Not all the 40 y.o. men that talk to younger girls at work are going to clubs to meet younger women. You can't generalize or analyze why someone is talking to younger women. Could it be as simple as being bored at work and talking to someone younger to kill the time?

Again OP is jealous because this was the same person that was talking to her. He seems to talk to everyone at work. He's just an extrovert that's all. Nothing to analyze.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:10 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
On the contrary, you'll find that to probably the majority of 40 year old men, the age group 18i(ish) to 30 women are the most interesting !!!
I meant more on an intellectual level. And of course, you will find exceptions. There are some very mature 20 year olds and some immature 40 year olds who might have a lot in common. But if we're talking about a guy who routinely prefers the company of 18-22 year old girls and doesn't seem to hang out with any peers (men and women of all ages including his age and older), then it's possible he's interested in them just for the sexual attention and flirting. I wouldn't see much appeal in him, myself.

Not sure if we have that here, as I wasn't there. It's possible the OP just saw one incident and got her panties in a bunch because she likes him. And no, he's not a perv in any case. They're all legal. But if the OP was hoping he was interested in her, I'd look elsewhere. The type of guy who's a big flirt and still single at 40 isn't likely to settle down. Most guys who want to settle down have done so by that point.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
I see where you're coming from, but how many 35-40 year old men, when confronted by a 20 year old woman are thinking on an intellectual level ?

Have you ever looked at a photo like this, and thought about how much you'd like to discuss sub-atomic particle physics with her ?
Moderator cut: image removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I meant more on an intellectual level. And of course, you will find exceptions.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Not all the 40 y.o. men that talk to younger girls at work are going to clubs to meet younger women. You can't generalize or analyze why someone is talking to younger women. Could it be as simple as being bored at work and talking to someone younger to kill the time?

Again OP is jealous because this was the same person that was talking to her. He seems to talk to everyone at work. He's just an extrovert that's all. Nothing to analyze.
Sounds like some projecting. The OP had a legit concern. Some people assume jealousy where there is no indication of this and like to think of women as catty as a negative generalization.

If I liked a guy, saw him flirting with teens, I would not like him anymore because I was those teens once and I know about guys who do that. That is based on experience and rationality.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
If the women are over the age of 18, that doesn't make him a pedophile or mean that anything is wrong with him. If he likes younger females, then it's great that he's talking to 20 year olds and not 14 year olds. Sure, maybe a lot of older men look at younger women for sex, but you can't label every relationship the same. I have been with a man older than me and our age difference was rarely a problem. Maybe it also has something to do with the fact that my father is way more than 18 years older than me, so it wasn't ever really weird.

If you feel that he is just interested in younger women for the sex, then I understand the lessening of attraction but mostly because I don't take men of any age seriously who just look at women for sex. I'm not saying sex isn't important but you don't want that to be the only point of a serious relationship.

I'm not really sure if you are more bothered by him talking to younger women or just hanging out with younger people in general, smalltowngirl25? I think that relationships with age differences can be handled maturely, but my problem with hanging out with people specifically under the age of 21 is the alcohol issue. That could definitely prose problems depending on a person's personality or, more specifically, this man you speak of's personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships