Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 AM

193 posts, read 450,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn-VA View Post
As a psychologist I have to say therapy is not the say all, cure all. I am familiar with the experiences you are having, it is not uncommon with people who have been sexually abused. It is as if your own body betrays you by responding sexually to people you don't want to have sex with. It is a fairly complicated issue, but related to, and I believe, rooted in guilt.
That is exactly what it is. Like I have no control over my own body. I have gotten much better at controlling negative thinking but this one just confounds me. I hear you on the therapy but I shouldn't give up. There are a lot of excellent doctors out there; I just need to track them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
You're getting turned on physically, but not mentally. The phenomenon has been documented in the medical literature. It's the same mechanism by which a rape victim can have an orgasm while a rape is in progress. It's involuntary, and it does not mean you "want" the person. Pure physical arousal is a reflex, and, like a sneeze or a heart flutter, is beyond our control. (Something I'm sure many men became painfully aware of in early adolescence.)

I'm guessing that the more you worry about it, the bigger an issue it will become for you. Seek more therapy if you feel it's necessary, especially if you haven't worked through the sexual abuse of the past. But as someone else said, women's bodies change a lot in their early 40. You might still be in your sexual peak. Plus, it's happening when you're ovulating--when your body is telling you to get busy.

Honestly? The physical side sounds hormonal to me. That it disturbs you so much is probably something deeper with you emotionally, as others have pointed out.

Last edited by Yzette; 06-11-2011 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: read rest of thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM

31,048 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You're getting turned on physically, but not mentally. The phenomenon has been documented in the medical literature. It's the same mechanism by which a rape victim can have an orgasm while a rape is in progress. It's involuntary, and it does not mean you "want" the person. Pure physical arousal is a reflex, and, like a sneeze or a heart flutter, is beyond our control. (Something I'm sure many men became painfully aware of in early adolescence.)

I'm guessing that the more you worry about it, the bigger an issue it will become for you. Seek more therapy if you feel it's necessary, especially if you haven't worked through the sexual abuse of the past. But as someone else said, women's bodies change a lot in their early 40. You might still be in your sexual peak. Plus, it's happening when you're ovulating--when your body is telling you to get busy.

Honestly? The physical side sounds hormonal to me. That it disturbs you so much is probably something deeper with you emotionally, as others have pointed out.
I highly doubt this could happen. sounds more like urban legend. An assault on someone sexual or otherwise is not likely to arouse anyone but the perpetrator.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 839 times
Hi CocoTheNut,

I've seen your message just today for the first time, and I wanted to reply even though a lot of time has passed since you asked it, as I also experienced similar things.

I'm a young male in my mid-20s, who grew up with female family members, and my best friends and most of my friends are also females. I'm actually more comfortable to speak and converse and have friendship with females than males. But don't take it wrong neither I'm gay, nor do I get sexually excited from my female friends. I'm actually a very sensitive person, and with an up most probability, an emotional sponge. I intuitively feel the emotions of others' people in me, almost experiencing as my own. And I'm not very sexually oriented, my parents are spiritually inclined and raised me as such as well.

Coming back to the subject, I have been experiencing sexual excitement (though not very often, but the rate of occurrences increases) from people that normally I never get excited and in the beginning I felt guilty, until understanding that it was actually them, getting excited while imagining someone else. For example, it happened with a family friend of ours, a young girl who is 9 years younger than me, to whom I have always looked upon like my little sister. Once she requested that I do massage to her shoulders that were aching, while I was doing, suddenly I felt stimulated, although I wasn't attracted to her at all. I did a quick analysis in that moment and asked her if she has been thinking about or desiring the guy she had a crush with. She immediately turned red, and asked me how I knew..That's when I understood, that stimulation was not mine..

I experienced similar things from males, which made me sure, that I could experience people's sexual desire of others, while touching them. I think this is too another extreme case of being an emotional sponge.

I hope that helps,

Friendly,

CCRE

Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
I am sorry but this is going to seem very, very weird and I am having a tough time figuring out what is happening to me and what to do about it.

I get a strong sense when someone (man or woman) desires me. I feel it physically (if you know what I mean) and it sickens me. I am absolutely sure that this is not me desiring them, because this has happened with people that I find physically repulsive (e.g. very unattractive men or lesbians (sorry to be so crude)) or that I don't like. It has happened with the guy that I have a huge crush on -- that's about the only time I am okay with this weird thing.

I have noticed that this is at its worst within two weeks of my menstrual cycle. I have also noticed that in this time frame, I seem to attract some attention (mostly unwanted).

I have always being an empathetic person who can sense people's emotions but this just takes it to a whole other disturbing level, and I want it to stop. It is grossing me out, making me feel naked and vulnerable. It has gotten to the point where I am a little anxious about being in public because I don't know when it will happen. I am also starting to avoid people that I normally sense this about.

I am too embarrased to ask my doctor about this for fear he will think I am totally insane (could be true).

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you cope?
not really have this experience on a regular basis, sometimes get that vibe from the pharmacist near my home. I do the same thing as you, avoid him like the plague b/c it's uncomfortable. Sometimes these people in stores or whatever are just being nice, so no reason to jump to 'they desire.' I don't even know if that's the case or not, that's just the feeling I get sometimes.

Also what do you mean by "I don't know what will happen?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships