Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times

Advertisements

Materialistic is in the eye of the beholder. There is no basis from the OP to consider.

Therefore, speaking in generalities, I would say that there are a lot of women who are not materialistic. Your definition of "materialistic" will determine whether you agree.

Men and women in this country are far to used to having things to go without. Go to a third world country, where someone has the shirt on their back and not much else, and they would all Americans are rediculously materialistic.

If she is too into possessions and spending for you, find someone who's ideals in spending and possessing more closely mirror your own. There are all kinds out there!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I seem to be running into alot of women who are caught up in the status lifestyle. As a teacher, I earn a middle class income and am fine with that. Do I really have much hope in finding someone who isn't really into all the material possession and status stuff as a way of measuring someone's desirability as a potential dating partner?
I think you can have hope, and if/when you do you'll know you've found someone truely special.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM

791 posts, read 1,425,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
All these gold diggers, status won't mean anything when they are old. Health, emotions and someone to take care of them will take its place.

Ask the women who have lot of money and have health issues, ask the ones that lonely with lot of money.
this is a fact for sure....I see it every day. great post

Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I seem to be running into alot of women who are caught up in the status lifestyle. As a teacher, I earn a middle class income and am fine with that. Do I really have much hope in finding someone who isn't really into all the material possession and status stuff as a way of measuring someone's desirability as a potential dating partner?
My husband and I believe in spending money on luxuries which may or may not seem materialistic to you.

However, I do notice that when I spend too much money, it is because I am being lazy and not creative enough. That I am against. My husband rarely has to talk to me during these times and he is a penny pincher. It is probably because I self-correct. We all make mistakes or I should say "sometimes I get lazy"!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
stuff ties you down..very true. so does having pets. you cant go away for a weekend unless you board your pets or have someone watch them....
Yes pets, people, families...

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,716 times
You can always take a pet with you.......

Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
You can always take a pet with you.......
True that!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Contrary to commonly held beliefs among the male gender, the vast majority of women are not materialistic vixens. Money really only matters at the extremes: vast wealth (millions) or complete indigence will definitely affect the quantity and quality of women you attract. For all of the guys in between, money won't be a factor. There aren't too many women trying to trap guys for their 2012 Honda Accord and meals at the Macaroni Grill. And for the true golddiggers, a guy like you (assuming you're not a multimillionaire) won't even be on her radar. A true golddigger could burn through a doctor's salary in a week.

For the record, a charming and cocky bartender will beat out a straight-laced corporate lawyer 9 out of 10 times.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There aren't too many women trying to trap guys for their 2012 Honda Accord and meals at the Macaroni Grill.
Okay, this made me laugh.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Contrary to commonly held beliefs among the male gender, the vast majority of women are not materialistic vixens. Money really only matters at the extremes: vast wealth (millions) or complete indigence will definitely affect the quantity and quality of women you attract. For all of the guys in between, money won't be a factor. There aren't too many women trying to trap guys for their 2012 Honda Accord and meals at the Macaroni Grill. And for the true golddiggers, a guy like you (assuming you're not a multimillionaire) won't even be on her radar. A true golddigger could burn through a doctor's salary in a week.
NO IT DOESN"T. MONEY MATTERS IN THE MIDDLE!!!! This is a common fallacy, but one that needs to be debunked nonetheless. It is along the same lines of thinking that a man of modest means (let's say median individual income plus one sigma, minus one sigma) doesn't need a prenup because he isn't filfthy rich. I've told the Chris Rock joke about a million times, but here it comes again, to illustrate my point:

YouTube - ‪Chris Rock Pre-nup‬‏

In other words. Women can greatly benefit from subsidizing their cost of living overhead by a second party, yielding their own income, however meager or extravagant, as automatically wholly and fully DISCRETIONARY. Ergo, if you made 30K but a man covers your Macaroni Grill dinners and cost of living overheads, you just made the equivalent of 80K/yr when normalized for disposable income! This is much more than the average woman will be able to earn on her own. Why do you think they are so indignantly opposed to prenups?!?!

Conversely, as a function of that extra overhead, the male counterpart is stripped from his ability to pursue his financial spenditures with the freedom and access he otherwise would have if he wasn't subsidizing the woman's proverbial use of his "Honda Accord and Macaroni Grill dinners". Does that math compute to you now?

If I had 10 million that wouldn't ding me, even if she spent half I'd still live to my heart's content. But when I'm only about 10-20K in gross yearly income above the cost of living line, paying for a second mouth just knocked MY discretionary income, putting me back in the poorhouse for my troubles. Would you do the same job you do today for 30K less with nothing to show for it? I think not. We men call that alimony, by the way. When you bust your hump for 80K but only make 40.... Screw that.

See, but women are seldom faced with that dilema, as their demand that their mate be higher earning than they is considered righteous and par for the course. But a man demands of women to be higher earning and we're all of a sudden materialistic cheapskates. Gimme a break

So I disagree. Seeing as how most women, just like most men, make 50K or less individually, women in aggregate ARE actively trying to trap a man for the marginal cost of living subsidy of Macaroni Grill Dinners and Honda Accords, allowing them a normalized discretionary income they couldn't attain on their own. This is what the maritial contract IS in dual income household AMerica. Stepping on your man's shoulders as you sink him so you can attain the material standard you can't on your own (as proven statistically by income figures). Oh and in exchange you grace him with the "priviledge" of access to your vagina. So Macaroni Grill is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships