Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times

Advertisements

I was just curious to get the opinions from people on this. Is it possible to forgive someone for something they did yet still not like them/want anything to do with them? Is this possible? Or does it mean someone is lounging in the past by not wanting further contact with someone who wronged them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Is It Possible To Forgive Someone For Something, Yet Still Not Like Them?
Yes, I think so. But it isn't easy, especially if you know that the person does not deserve your forgiveness. It's a free gift. It's a display of Grace.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:04 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
I try to see things from my point-of-view. Sometimes I hurt people's feelings without even knowing I did. I apologize, give a short explanation, hope that they take it at face value and try to do better next time. I do not look for forgiveness. If they don't forgive me, it is not my problem.

So when I turn the tables on myself and I am mad at somebody for something they did or said, it is my problem. That doesn't mean suck it up. It means that I have control over how I am going to solve my problem.

I can decide to never talk to them again.

I can let them know that I didn't like what they said or did but if I take this route I have to be prepared for two possible responses:

1. They don't care.
  2. They didn't know they were hurting my feelings.
If the first, there is nothing more to do. If the later, I have to take their apology or explanation at face value and move on. It is how I would want to be treated.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:00 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default Yes.

Forgiveness, to me means no longer holding a grudge for an injustice done. If the offense was particularly bad and I could not trust the person at all then I would not be able to keep them in my life. Being fond of them again may not be an option, The point of forgiveness allows the one wronged to move on.

Letting go of painful things in one's past is one of the most important things a person can do to move their life forward. Past baggage holds us back-Traumatic experiences creates synapses in the mind that have no sense of time.And we often fall victim to pattern of negative and self destructive behavior due to this. As I said in another thread, Humans are geared toward survival and coping mechanisms are just an example. Continuous hatred of a person is like taking poison, and expecting the other person to die.

I am speaking from raw experience, School of hard knocks.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Yes, you can forgive them and still not want anything to do with them. Sometimes the forgiveness part is more for you than it is for them.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:35 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I was just curious to get the opinions from people on this. Is it possible to forgive someone for something they did yet still not like them/want anything to do with them? Is this possible? Or does it mean someone is lounging in the past by not wanting further contact with someone who wronged them?
I think it depends on what was done to you.

I believe that forgiveness is a very important part of growing as a human being and it's more for your own peace of mind. Holding grudges will eat you on the inside and will not let your progress. However, sometimes I cannot help how I feel about the person who did me wrong. I may forgive her, but my views of her/him may never be the same.
Besides, some people are toxic enough for me not to invite them back into my life. Fortunately, I don't have a large number of those.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Yes, I think so. But it isn't easy, especially if you know that the person does not deserve your forgiveness. It's a free gift. It's a display of Grace.
This ^ is essentially what I was going to say. Forgiveness is always a good thing. It does not mean you have to like the person or condone the act. Theophane is correct - forgiveness is grace, pure and simple. Grace is not earned; it is a gift.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I may forgive her, but my views of her/him may never be the same.
I am wondering, doesn't this mean a change in your behavior when you are around this other person? That can't be a positive experience.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
I am wondering, doesn't this mean a change in your behavior when you are around this other person? That can't be a positive experience.
I may appear a lot more cautious around that person, still polite but careful.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Yes. I believe you have to forgive to some extent otherwise you are hanging on to bad memories and thoughts. This stops you moving forward in your life.

I left a physically abusive relationship and while I have forgiven him, I have nothing to do with him whatsoever. No sneaking a look at his FB, no text messages, no asking after him with mutual friends. I do not like the man at all. I understand why he did what he did to me but the point is moot.

This protects me and it's allowed me to carry on with my life free from hatred and other negative emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships