Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: American women Vs. European women
American Women 26 29.89%
European Women 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times

Advertisements

I think the guys decided that they prefer women in mini dress or mini skirts.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
The thing is, is my circles, eating disorders are more common than obesity. We spend so much time harping on obesity - and I grant you it's a problem - but I see much more of anorexia and bulimia than I do of obesity. And yes - it's probably because of where I have lived and my profession - but still, it's a sore subject with me. When I hear people complaining that Americans don't care enough about health - I guess it just rubs me the wrong way because that has not been my personal experience.

You keep on applying your own personal experiences to the whole country. The way YOU are, your husband, your friends, your consumer habits, and your eating habits do not apply to the whole country. They do not overturn hard factual statistics.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I think the guys decided that they prefer women in mini dress or mini skirts.
Not I Daniel. I seek a women who respects her body and wants a self respecting man who seeks more than just lust. Although I do appreciate the how feminine women dress, it is not due to mini skirts.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
You keep on applying your own personal experiences to the whole country. The way YOU are, your husband, your friends, your consumer habits, and your eating habits do not apply to the whole country. They do not overturn hard factual statistics.
I apply my personal experiences to how I see my personal experiences. Isn't that what we all do? Why would I watch TV or look online to learn about what people are really like? The people around me are what the people around me are really like. And what are these hard factual statistics that you speak of? Even if an area has an obesity percentage of 30% - which is really bad - that still means that 70% of the people are not obese. People make it sound like 90% of the American people are obese. Is obesity a problem? Yes. Is it as big of a problem where I live? No. So - am I supposed to ignore all the people that I see that are in great shape and think that all Americans are flabby and don't care about their bodies? How on earth could I do that? I gain my information through my own eyes and my own ears. I don't watch TV or google to find out what my peers are like. And I don't generalize an entire group of people based on something I watch on TV or a statistic that I look up. And just because something is on TV or you look up a statistic - it doesn't negate my personal experiences. Things aren't as black and white as you would like to make them seem. Yes - my own eating habits and buying habits don't negate what others do - just as what some people do does not negate what my peers and I do. It works both ways.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Percentage of obese women in Russia: 27.9 the highest of those countries list.

Obesity Worldwide - Global Overweight

And not related by hilarious considering some of the men on this thread....

"Over the last decade, which would be 1999 through 2008, we found no significant increase in the prevalence of obesity among adult women, but we did find a significant increase in men over that same period, from about 27.5 percent to 32 percent," Ogden said.
But more recently, those increases in men appear to be slowing, Ogden said, noting there has been no change in obesity among males between 2003 and 2008.

U.S. obesity rate appears to be slowing: study | Reuters
Another thing to take under consideration when doing comparisons is cultural diversity and SES. The US, unlike Russia proper, is not homogenous so comparisons are difficult. ~25% of US white women are obese and ~38% of US black women are obese. The disparity is striking. Overweight trends, tho, are significantly higher. I don't know how it goes globally, but ~60% of white women are overweight and 80% for black women (BMI>25). Source. I believe that's largely due to our fast food nation. People should not eat that crap. OTOH, it's cheaper to eat crap, which is sad.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 AM

20,721 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Percentage of obese women in Russia: 27.9 the highest of those countries list.

Obesity Worldwide - Global Overweight

And not related by hilarious considering some of the men on this thread....

"Over the last decade, which would be 1999 through 2008, we found no significant increase in the prevalence of obesity among adult women, but we did find a significant increase in men over that same period, from about 27.5 percent to 32 percent," Ogden said.
But more recently, those increases in men appear to be slowing, Ogden said, noting there has been no change in obesity among males between 2003 and 2008.

U.S. obesity rate appears to be slowing: study | Reuters
Hi Mikala43,

Yes it tends to be with older women and in rural Russia. Its also why the sex ratio is so skewed because many of the men who would be fat are dead.

Its not a perfect country by any means. They would not think so either. We think otherwise about our own.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Another thing to take under consideration when doing comparisons is cultural diversity and SES. The US, unlike Russia proper, is not homogenous so comparisons are difficult. ~25% of US white women are obese and ~38% of US black women are obese. The disparity is striking. Overweight trends, tho, are significantly higher. I don't know how it goes globally, but ~60% of white women are overweight and 80% for black women (BMI>25). Source. I believe that's largely due to our fast food nation. People should not eat that crap. OTOH, it's cheaper to eat crap, which is sad.
Absolutely. I think our state has both been rated as one of the healthiest, but with a very high obesity rate. Most of the overweight though are the polynesians: samoans, hawaiians, tongans, etc.

They're a big people.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Okay, listen up...my dog sitting on his haunches asking to go outside knows more about life than you do, so let's end that debate right there...you and your whiny little tirade are irrelevant to me...know that now...and as to your remark about a filet knife, yeah right---don't even dream alone in your bed in a cold sweat in the dead-black of night about that...epic fail

You, once again, have proven yourself unable to handle the truth...some American woman somewhere in your distant past called you out and told you what time it was, and that just hurt your widdle alleged-model feewings soooo much, that, instead of thinking about examining what went wrong, you took the punk route and decided to whine and find fault with American women, to the extent of creating this thread...

You are absolutely right, I'm dang near 60, but what's your point? Who are you, Jesus's English teacher, that suddenly, at 26, you have become this omnipotent purveyor of life skills and dating knowledge, so much so that nobody out of your age group is allowed to post on this thread? Not hardly...

Last time I looked, I am something you sorely need to learn about being---an adult...and as such, whether it's this thread or any other here, I will post and express my opinion, whether you like it or not...you don't run this forum, or frankly, anything else in the world except your mouth, so I don't need your permission or blessing, at all, ever...don't want to suffer through my posts any more? Give your finger some exercise, and find and click the 'ignore' feature...because I'll still be here speaking my piece

And as far as meaningless rants? I don't post to impress people, nor am I in love with my words...I post because when I see something that I either think is an interesting topic and feel I can add something to the discussion, or to call BS on something, then I'm gonna type, and post, and express myself to my heart's content, and all your little oo-poo-pa-do whininess ain't gonna change a thing...and further, don't even try that 'intelligent debate' razzle-dazzle with me either...I've forgotten more about life in these last few minutes than you've allegedly learned in 26 years

Comical narratives, my a**...you are one of those folk who simply cannot stand it when someone dares to disagree with you...and when I go to bed this night, I will climb into bed next to a sexy, intelligent, educated AMERICAN woman, who loves this cranky old man very much, thank you, and I will not lose one iota of sleep pondering the great mystery of whether you're ever going to grow up

Oh, by the way, I'm not usually one who gets into post counts and rep points and all that, but to address your little dig about 'very few people caring about what I say', well if you look on any of my posts here or anywhere else on City Data, you'll see that I have over twice as many reps as I do actual posts...which means that over 2600 times since I joined, including one for the post you quoted, people saw fit to 'rep' me because they (wait for it) cared about what I had to say...ironic, isn't it?

I' am new here so I really do not want to step on anyone's toes. But.... I disagree with what you're saying. I also disagree with the OP, although I understand what he is getting at. We are going through a huge change in the way we act and a lot of the women DO fit the description. However I choose to ignore these women and focus on the quality ones. What somewhat irritates me about your posts is that you keep asking for an intelligent debate, and he then responds with some good arguments, only to then receive the same response from you about him being a whiner or not "man enough" to find a women, not even addressing the points he has made. He also made a good point about age. A women your age is going to act a lot different than his. Just my 2 cents....

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Mikala43,

Yes it tends to be with older women and in rural Russia. Its also why the sex ratio is so skewed because many of the men who would be fat are dead.

Its not a perfect country by any means. They would not think so either. We think otherwise about our own.
I completely disagree. I think that most Americans have many complaints about our country. However, I don't think that "our women are fat, unattractive, materialistic, and vapid" is one of them. I have many issues with our country - just not "all the women here suck!" It's a huge country with amazing diversity. To characterize all women as "bad" is just ridiculous. There are many things that I hope change about our country - but getting rid of all of the women isn't one of them.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Hello...And Welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebronsucks23 View Post
I' am new here so I really do not want to step on anyone's toes. But.... I disagree with what you're saying. I also disagree with the OP, although I understand what he is getting at. We are going through a huge change in the way we act and a lot of the women DO fit the description. However I choose to ignore these women and focus on the quality ones. What somewhat irritates me about your posts is that you keep asking for an intelligent debate, and he then responds with some good arguments, only to then receive the same response from you about him being a whiner or not "man enough" to find a women, not even addressing the points he has made. He also made a good point about age. A women your age is going to act a lot different than his. Just my 2 cents....
LOL...don't worry, you haven't stepped on my toes...I appreciate the fact that you took the time to speak your mind, and thus you deserve a straght answer from me...

I had 'beef' with the OP, because of some of the things he had said to some of the other (American) women posting here...true enough, he had/has a right to his opinion, as you do, and he also has the right to disagree with me, just as you are doing here...

Also, I will concede his point, and yours, about the age barrier...but when you start making blanket generalizations like he did, and do it in a semi-insulting manner, then I'm sorry, but he's gonna hear from me, and anyone else here who disagrees with him, age notwithstanding, 10 times out of every 10...

Just because HE feels a certain way about American vs European women, doesn't mean everyone else does...I can appreciate a good debate as much as the next person, but when you say that some folks' opinion doesn't count because of that age barrier, well, you get a sense of why I said some of the things I did previously...to cut right to the chase, you don't start a thread on a chat forum, regardless of the subject, and then try to 'cherry-pick' answers from those that agree with you, and NOT expect to hear from those who don't

Hopefully, I've sufficiently explained my 'position' here...you are, once again, under no obligation to agree with anything I just said, but I felt you deserved an answer, since you came to me with a valid concern...once again, welcome to the forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.